From worries over effectiveness to simply overlooking this bathroom staple, sales of organic toothpaste are dwarfed by other organic cosmetics. But the benefits are endless, with reduced contact with carcinogenic fluoride being the biggest. As children have a habit of swallowing their toothpaste, you want to be sure that they’re not swallowing anything harmful to their health.
We’ve tried out every natural and organic toothpaste we’ve laid our hands on and have put together our top 5, to help you decide which might work best for your little ones.
5. Earth’s Best Strawberry & Banana Toothpaste. My daughter liked the flavour of this toothpaste and even though it didn’t foam like she’d have hoped, she still enjoyed brushing her teeth with it. Her teeth were clean and her breath sweet and fresh.
4. Green People Organic Children Toothpaste. Available in a fruity or minty flavour, my daughter opted for the minty version as she prefers the fresh feeling of mint. I also prefer minty breath over fruity! Her teeth were beautifully clean and she didn’t mind the greyish tinge to the paste.
3. Lavera Kids Strawberry & Raspberry Tooth Gel. The flavour of this was a big hit, with my daughter wanting to brush her teeth a little too often most days! Definitely a good one for encouraging reluctant brushers.
2. Melvita toothpaste for children’s-toothpaste-natural-oral-care-products,8,1,5439,5090.htm. Another fruity flavour that was enjoyed by daughter. I liked that this was a milder scent and her teeth seemed particularly clean after using it.
1. Jack N’ Jill Natural Toothpaste. Our favourite toothpaste and definitely our go-to brand. With a choice of flavours, we often plump for Calendula as it’s quite interesting to my daughter and I find it mostly scentless and her breath is simply clean “smelling”. Her teeth are well cleaned and we use this pretty much all of the time now. Her dentist is very happy with her teeth so far!