« CLICK HERE for inspiring content from The Green Parent magazine

Camping crockery - enamel, plastic or melamine?
Posted: 20 June 2010 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  664
Joined  2009-10-11

Following on from the thread about campfire cooking, can anyone recommend some camping crockery?  For the past few years we have been camping on a budget, buying only things we needed (i.e. didn’t have already) so we have been using plastic party/picnic plates and bowls for eating out of.  I don’t like using them and now the knives have scratched them making them even less hygienic than before.

What would you recommend?  I looked at the enamel plates in a camping shop yesterday but wasn’t impressed with the quality (chips on the edges even!) and wondered about how long they would last.

Any advice appreciated!

Diana

Signature 

Diana, DS (Sep 05), DD (Jan 08)

Tales from Ropley Cottage, on living, gardening, cooking and raising kids the organic/ethical way..

Posted: 21 June 2010 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1317
Joined  2009-11-23

My mum used to be a chef and I think that the best option here would be to go for some ex-catering stock. The quality is unbeatable - bomb-proof! And you can pick up items on ebay often or other auctions, catering gear comes up frequently when companies go broke or change hands or re-fit the kitchens or whatever. Stainless steel’s usually very expensive but second hand, you’ll get it quite cheaply from ex catering outlets.

Signature 

Love and light, Rach. x

Posted: 21 June 2010 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1747
Joined  2008-11-04

I guess the melamine really lasts forever. We’ve still got the two plates we bought as teenagers when we first started camping with the scouts etc. But it is a kind of plastic. Don’t have experience with enamel, I do like the look of them, but keep in mind that enamel transfers heat very well, so your plate will be hot on your knees, and your mug hot in your hand.

Love,
SunshineXX

Signature 

Sunshine
CARPE DIEM!

(Lets number 63)