« CLICK HERE for inspiring content from The Green Parent magazine

Help me decide on a new sling!
Posted: 24 July 2011 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  312
Joined  2009-06-02

I’m currently using a stretchy wrap with my 13 week old which I love but I’m after a mei tai! The ones I have my eye on are the Ellaroo mei tai, a Napsack I think its called & a Connecta, which seem to be sold out everywhere! Anyone use any of these & if so which is the best? My daughter is a good weight but quite dainty (if that makes any sense?!) I’d like to be able to do a back carry at some point. I’m quite petite myself so whilst I love my wrap I do feel a tad swamped by fabric!

Any recommendations???

Signature 

Daughter age 11
Three sons age 10, 7 & 5
Baby girl age 3

Posted: 24 July 2011 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2198
Joined  2010-02-19

I’m completely in love with our BabyHawk, to tell you the truth! That, with a Kari-Me for when they’re tinies. The Hawk was expensive, but *SO* worth it, and we got it as an investment, considering we’re planning on lots of kids! x

Signature 

Blue-haired crunchy Mama to Ru (4 yrs), Pixie Willow (2 years) and Baby Gaia due July 2014!

LETS No. 123

MamaPixie on ETSY!

MamaPixie on FACEBOOK!

Posted: 24 July 2011 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1444
Joined  2008-08-21

I dont like the connecta but I have friends who love it. I had an ellaroo mei-tai which was fabulous when he was younger but when he hit toddler hood, I needed something with wider straps. My favourite was a maya-tie, which has wide straps like a wrap and soooo comfy.

If you have access to a sewing machine, it’s fairly easy to make on of your own aswell

Posted: 24 July 2011 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-02

I was looking at the Maya tie as it had wider straps which appealed to me but couldn’t find many reviews on it… decisions decisions!!

Signature 

Daughter age 11
Three sons age 10, 7 & 5
Baby girl age 3

Posted: 24 July 2011 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1099
Joined  2009-02-15

I have a home made stretchy by dawnsbrood which was brill when Fin was teeny, then I got a connecta (owly print) and I love it. Its really easy when I am getting in and out of the car, but now we are car free I can see me using the sretchy more. That having said, I realy want a mei-tai but they are so expensive! I love drooling over the pics of them though!

Signature 

blissfully happy mama to two gorgeous boys, and waiting on two new arrivals near the end of the year smile

The bosom of the Mother is the natural pillow of her offspring.

Posted: 24 July 2011 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2712
Joined  2008-01-02

I had a Joey, which was gorgeous and I’d love another one (it got stolen) but I’ve heard a lot of positive things about Kozy’s too. I’d highly recommend that style, they’re soft, padded and very good for distributing weight, plus great for back carries when they’re bigger!

I would have said the Connecta was a Soft Structured Carrier (SSC) rather than a Mei Tai - I’ve never used one but know lots of people who say they’re very comfy and easy to use. I have a Napsack in the sling library and I love it, but hardly ever use it as it isn’t pretty (fickle? me?) and isn’t as comfortable or easy as the stretchy wrap. It’s very roomy and comfortable for baby though, dd2 fell asleep in it before I even did it up the first time I used it!

Happy sling shopping - it’s the only kind of shopping I enjoy!

Claire x

Signature 

http://phoenixdaydreams.blogspot.com/

http://writingwaves.wordpress.com/

GP LETs number 47

Posted: 24 July 2011 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1819
Joined  2008-09-23

I have 2 babyhawks, a joey and a connecta (that’s my MT-a-like ones). I like the Babyhawk for babies but past the newborn stage, the Joey is SO comfy for carrying toddlers and I’m not much of a fan of the connecta. Chris loves the connecta and I have friends who do as well, I think it is down to the shape of your shoulders!

The Joey is definitely the most comfortable MT or SSC I’ve tried.

Clarexxx

Signature 

Hippy-anarchist-feminist-eco-crafty Mama of

Helena July 06
Felicity March 09
Miranda December 11

http://theanarchistmama.blogspot.co.uk

http://rosehowey.org.uk - home!

Posted: 24 July 2011 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-02

Oooh I LOVE the look of the joey slings! Just ordered one! “birdsong” I think it’s called, very pretty! Can’t wait for it to arrive :o)

Signature 

Daughter age 11
Three sons age 10, 7 & 5
Baby girl age 3

Posted: 25 July 2011 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4648
Joined  2008-06-07

I love the connecta and can easily carry Saule 14 months or Alice in it, S has been in it since a few days old.  I also have a home made MT, so easy to make and I used slightly stretchy jersey fabric for nice wide straps but the body makes for good thick cotton and lots of prints to choose from.  I also made a half way up MT for festivals when Alice was a bit older and wanted to look around, I put a big flap and buckles on it incase she got sleepy.  The variations are endless and all personal smile

sarie

Signature 

Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents,
it was loaned to you by your children.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
we borrow it from our Children.

LETS number 64

Posted: 02 August 2011 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  415
Joined  2007-08-20

We (well DP, I prefer to Wrap) has a Babyhawk and a Kozy
The Babyhawk is great for when they’re little til about 18mths. But the Kozy is brilliant older babies/toddlers. DP (and I) can easily carry DD (4y) in the Kozy.

Signature 

Kerry

Mama to Eliana May 07 and Conall September 09 and Leilani Aug 2011