Well, it didn’t quite turn out as I planned, but it worked nonetheless. To make it a suitably swirly skirt I had to split the legs up the sides as well, so I sewed 4 panels in instead of the recommended two. I used red leggings & patches from the front of a blue tshirt which was outgrown and the sleeve of an old white tshirt (it was for a Jubilee party!) & I was very pleased with it. It took quite a lot of fiddling about to get the patches right, and I had to hand stitch it because I don’t have a sewing machine (I’m scared of them!) so it took a while, but it was worth it. If you use leggings you need to split them to about an inch from the waistband, otherwise the skirt will be too snug round the tummy. The patches & the ex-legs weren’t the same length, so the skirt ended up with an irregular hem, but the leggings had bows on the bottoms which DD was determined I should leave on, so I did! I might do it again with another pair, and if I could learn to use a sewing machine I definitely would.