The main aim of World Book Day in the UK and Ireland is to encourage children to explore the pleasures of books and reading by providing them with the opportunity to have a book of their own.
All schools (including those nurseries and secondary schools that have specially registered to participate), will receive packs of Book Tokens and age-ranged World Book Day Resource Packs full of ideas and activities, display material and more information about how to get involved in World Book Day. Libraries, book shops and resource centres nationwide will also be taking part and there are loads of exciting events to enjoy.
It really is a fun, inspiring, joyful celebration of the written word – something that enhances all our lives. With so many ways to get involved, you’ll find that a day simply isn’t long enough!
10 wicked and wonderful ways to celebrate with your kids this World Book Day
1. Get along to your local book shop to spend your £1 book voucher – check out the eight £1 books you can get your mitts on here
2. Find out about World Book Day events taking place in your area, including storytelling workshops and dressing up as your favourite character
3. Get your colouring pens out for the Design a Bookmark competition
4. Watch a fantastic free online festival streamed live into your child’s classroom
5. Enter the Storycraft story competition after getting top tips from your favourite authors and illustrators
6. Find books about your favourite subjects and suited to your child’s reading age
7. Have fun with a whole range of World Book Day games
8. Enjoy your favourite story read to you by a famous author with online Storytime
9. Get expert writing and reading advice for kids from folks who know their stuff
10. For young adults, there’s a chance to join the Word Herd and share your passion for books with others – teen trailers, competitions, blogs and YA authors all feature on this exciting website.