The list of things to do with your pumpkin is surprisingly large, so we’ve narrowed it down to seven of the most interesting or delicious, but simple, ideas to help you on your way:
- Add the seeds to your morning smoothie. Pumpkin seeds in a food processor, with a little patience, become a truly delicious seed butter packed with some amazing health benefits. A rich source of zinc, magnesium and omega-3 fats they are great for boosting immunity, reducing the risk of stroke, heart disease, liver disease and are known to have an anti-diabetic effect and even boost restful sleep. They are also great for people with chronic disease related to inflammation as they have a potent anti-inflammatory effect that is known to be as successful as some arthritis medications. Adding a little seed butter to a smoothie, or cake recipe, is a great and easy way to give yourself a little health boost.
- Roast the seeds. Enjoy all of the health benefits of pumpkin, in a tasty crunchy snack! Rub a little coconut oil over them, dust with your favourite spices (cumin and cayenne is beautiful and seasonal if you’re going for savoury, or cinnamon if you’re after something sweet) and bake on high for around 45 minutes. Move them around the tray regularly to prevent sticking.
- Make pumpkin seed soap. Imagine taking a long hot bath on a cold autumn evening and the suds are scented with a sweet pumpkin scent. Delicious! You can make your own pumpkin seed soap and the little ones can get involved, too. The seeds make great exfoliators.
- Make a delicious soup. Pumpkin is the ultimate autumn fruit. Roasted up and added to a pan of onions, garlic, ginger and nutmeg makes the most delicious medley for a superbly seasonal soup. Just add water and a couple of your favourite stock cubes and simmer for an hour before blending together and serving. Add a dollop of coconut milk for a smoother, silkier texture.
- Make jewellery. Pumpkin seed jewellery is simple and fun to make. You just need to roast your seeds and get creative. Colour with food colouring, mix with wooden beads, stick on little jewels… the choices are endless!
- Pumpkin pie! Is there anything more festive than Pumpkin pie Now you can enjoy it, guilt free, with whole and healthful ingredients. Yummy!
- Freeze your innards. Due to their high water content, pumpkins freeze really well so if you’re stuck for inspiration you can always freeze them for later!
Article by Leanne Patrick