Did you know that you can create your own perfume using just four ingredients? Try an uplifting blend for those days when you need a little boost, or heartwarming to bring a little fiery passion into your life, says Rachelle Blondel. Use a tiny tin and if you can bear to part with it, give your carefully blended scents as gifts
Solid Beeswax Perfume
If you have ever fancied dabbling in perfume making, this is the ideal project to get you started.
Container with lid, 1 tsp unscented beeswax, 4 tsp jojoba or sweet almond oil, small jam jar, wooden skewer, 40 drops essential oil blend
- Prepare a small container that has a lid, ensuring it is clean and to hand.
- Place the beeswax and oil into a small jam jar and place in a saucepan.
- Fill the pan with water so that the level of the water rises just above the level of the contents of the jar. Heat gently, stirring the mixture with a wooden skewer.
- When all the beeswax has melted into the oil, remove the jar from the saucepan and continue to stir until the mixture begins to cool and thicken.
- Quickly add your oil blend, stirring continuously.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared container, put on the lid and leave to cool completely. Leave for 1–2 weeks in a cool, dark place to allow the scents to develop. Use within six months, as the scent will begin to fade once it has been opened.
OIL BLENDS TO TRY
- ADD A SPRING TO YOUR STEP: 20 drops frankincense and 20 drops grapefruit.
- A HEART WARMING HUG: 20 drops geranium, 15 drops of lavender and 5 drops black pepper.
- FRESH AS A DAISY: 10 drops orange, 10 drops of lemon, 10 drops of palmarosa and 10 drops cedarwood.