You can usually find good shape cutters in baking shops or online.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
You will also need:
- 140g slightly salted butter, softened
- 75g golden granulated Sugar
- 130g wholemeal plain flour
- 20g cornflour
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg, beaten
- Optional: cake decorations
- Gingerbread cutters
- Rolling pin
- Baking tray
- Heat the oven to 180°C (350°F Gas 4)
- Grease the baking tray with some butter
- Cream the butter and sugar together until mixture is light and fluffy
- Sift the flour and ginger into the mixture and fold in gently
- Stir in the beaten egg and vanilla essence and stir to form a firm dough.
- Knead lightly then wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours
- Roll out the mixture on a floured table then use a cutter to make shapes. Place these on the baking 8. Bp>
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown, leave to firm then transfer to a wire rack to cool
- Decorate as you desire! Chocolate buttons, icing, raisins etc.