Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free. Cuts into 12 slices
- 200g ground almonds
- 125g polenta
- 125g golden caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1½ teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 110ml fruity olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- Finely grated zest of 2 red grapefruit and juice of 1
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 20cm-diameter round cake tin and line the base with greaseproof or waxed paper.
- Pour all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and use an electric hand whisk to beat until smooth. You can also do this in a food-processor.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes to an hour, until the cake is golden, well risen and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 20 minutes, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
This cake is delicious served warm with a dollop of crème fraiche and a spring of thyme.
READ The Goodness of Ginger and Turmeric by Emily Jonzen (Kyle Books)