Nettle and Mint Smoothie
This makes enough for two really yummy green smoothies.
- ½ avocado
- 75 g cucumber
- 1 ripe banana
- 300 ml of your favourite milk*
- 50 g nettles or spinach, stalks removed (wear gloves when removing stalks)
- 3 tablespoons mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or birch syrup (optional)
- juice of 1½ limes
*This works well with cow’s milk, but you can also use cashew nut milk, almond milk or any other plant-based milk.
- Put the avocado, cucumber and banana into the jug of a blender. Add the milk, turn on the blender and whizz for a count of 5.
- Add the nettles or spinach, the mint and the maple or birch syrup, if using, and whizz for another count of 5.
- Squeeze in the lime juice and whizz for the count of 2.
MINT ICE CUBES Carefully place one or two mint leaves into each section of an ice-cube tray and top with water. Put the tray in the freezer and wait for six hours. Goes well with lemonade.
READ Family Foraging by David Hamilton, photography by Jason Ingram (White Lion Publishing)