Thousands of events will inspire people to hop on their bikes and discover the benefits and pleasures of cycling locally. Over half of all car journeys are less than five miles long, so by switching them to an easy thirty minute bike ride, you’ll save money, find new places you didn’t know existed, shrink your carbon footprint and get fit too!
There’s something for everyone during Bike Week, with events ranging from cycle training and Dr Bike sessions for novices, to commuter challenges and group rides around local cycling routes – all for free! Many are open to the entire family meaning it’s a great way to spend time together and meet other locals whilst rediscovering the fun of riding a bike in a safe and friendly environment.
Phillip Darnton, Chairman of Cycling England, said: “Many families are looking for easy ways to get more out of life, particularly during these difficult financial times. Cycling brings families together and is a fantastic, free way to explore new places and rides and have a lot of fun. We hope that people will use Bike Week as the perfect opportunity to get back on their bikes and re-connect with their communities.”
To find out what is taking place in your local area, visit www.bikeweek.org.uk and enter your postcode. If you’d like to take part but don’t have a bike, this shouldn’t stop you – you can find your nearest bike rental outlet on the website.
Five reasons to get on your bike:
1. Over half of our car journeys are less than 5 miles – swapping them for an easy 30 minute bike ride can save you a small fortune in fuel costs
2. Cyclists live on average at least two years longer than non-cyclists and their fitness levels are equivalent to being ten years younger
3. Cycling is the ultimate family activity; it’s free, healthy, fun and encourages children to be independent
4. Cycling gets you out and about and you’re more likely to find that cute little delicatessen or beautiful park you never knew existed than when you’re cooped up in a car
5. In a hurry? During rush-hour, a bicycle is twice as fast as a car – good if you hate traffic jams! Even better, you won’t spend a penny on parking.