Firstly, here is a quick review to help you diagnose your hair type.
NORMAL HAIR TYPES usually only have slight dryness or signs of dehydration, but are mostly soft in feel.
DRY HAIR TYPES feel dry, are not very soft and are usually prone to bouts of dandruff and to split ends.
GREASY/OILY hair types tend to be heavy & limp in texture, look and feel. They can also be prone to dandruff but do not tend to have split ends as a rule.
Now you have an idea on your hair type, here are my top tips for hair repair and an essential hair care regime for every hair type.
- TRY NOT TO WASH YOUR HAIR EVERY DAY as this affects the regulation of nourishing oils that are created by the body, that contain important nutrients for hair strand health.
- SHAMPOO TWICE A WEEK with a product that is free of chemicals, but also suits your hair type. This can change, so pay attention and maybe rotate two, use one for hydration and another for balancing, for example?
- CONDITIONER really needs to penetrate the hair for a couple of minutes once applied, so be careful not to wash it off too quickly if you want top results. Always use after shampoo, applying especially to the ends, not on the roots if you have oily hair. Again, choose a product that suits you hair type.
- HAIR REPAIR REMEDIES are a great way to achieve healthy hair. I would recommend a rinse for all hair types and use natural ingredients such as coconut oil, rosemary, honey & jojoba. Rinse you hair with your preferred concoction and then rinse with warm water.
- TURN DOWN YOU HAIRDRYER SETTING to a cooler setting if you can. Be gentle with the heat setting as this will only dry out the hair and increase the damage.
- TAKING A SUPPLEMENT will do wonders for your hair help and you will notice a difference. We love the organic Neal’s Yard Remedies Zinc Supplement
- GETTING YOUR HAIR CUT EVERY SIX WEEKS will keep your split ends under control and keep your style and hair health looking tip top!
- APPLY A HAIR MASK once a week to ensure it gets a deep nourishment and condition after the weeks exposure to environment, colouring and styling. This will repair the protein, Keratin, the vital protein in every hair strand and is important for hair strength.
- YOU DON”T NEED AN EXCUSE FOR A SCALP MASSAGE as this is perfect for stimulating the hair follicles, whilst treating the scalp. I would recommend oils such as olive oil, jojoba or coconut. Massage into your scalp and hair roots, and brush through. If you have normal or oily hair rinse out. Dry hair types you can leave in overnight for that extra hydration. Make sure you shampoo twice after using oily treatments on the hair!
- DON’T ADD IRRITABLE PRODUCTS TO YOUR HAIR AND SKIN! If you are trying to get your hair health back on track and maintain it, then be careful of the ingredients in the products you’re using. To really see a difference then use certified organic and natural product, so you can be sure there won’t be irritable or toxic properties. We would recommend Intelligent Nutrients for all hair care needs the organic way.
Enjoy your New Hair Health!
Emma Haddad Harvey at the The Love Organics Company