Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Just wondering if anyone’s children are subscribed to this?  http://www.whizz.com I’ve just signed up my middle two for a month to see how we get on but so far I am very impressed (the odd thing I’m less keen on but overall it is very good).

The children on there can have buddies and challenge them to games and so on, so if anyone is on there then pls let me know grin

Oh, and the normal price is £99 per year or £14.99 a month per child.  I didn’t want to sign up for a year without trying so signed up for a month and emailed them, they sent me a £5 off per child code so it cost under £20 for the month.  Sounds a lot but comparing to other cheaper maths programmes I think it’s definately worth it.  (so, if you are thinking of it it’s worth emailing and getting a moneyoff code grin  )

We are doing this because at their ages we are beyond the shopping/baking/experiments being of any learning value maths-wise iykwim.

Becky
xx

Mummy to four little ones

Hi Becky, My youngest has been using it for ages now and still really enjoys it. I’m not sure it’s the right motivation but she does the lessons just so she can feed her hamster!!

That’s really interesting Becky, what age group is it aimed at?  My eldest is signed up to Conquer Maths which is for 11 years and above and I’ve often wished there was an equivalent for the younger ones.

Home educating Mammy to DD aged 13, DS aged 12, DS aged 10, DD aged 7, DD aged 3 and DS aged 2 weeks!!  grin

That’s exactly why I signed up for my dd, I think it’s aimed at 8 - 13. It’s a lot more cartoony than conquer, the real pull for mine is that as you do the lessons you earn points and then you can buy stuff to put in your virtual bedroom. My dd saved for ages to earn enough to buy a hamster and now she *has* to do the lessons to earn enough to feed him wink

Hiya, I think it’s age 5 up.  My two spent ages redecorating their ‘bedrooms’ yesterday and doing lessons to earn points to spend in the shop grin  The graphics are excellent imho.  F wants to buy an owl, E is toying with the idea of a hamster LOL

They did their initial assessment yesterday to find out their ‘maths age’ and it was way below their real age by about 1-2 years so I think this is a good way to go!

Amanda, can our children find each other to be buddies?  I’m not quite sure what buddies do?  Challenge each other to games I think.  E and F would be happy to have a buddy on there. 

Wodgey - let us know if you go on there and our kids can find each other.  Do email for a discount though, they sent me the code with no probs.  Though the annual membership is far more cost effective if you decide to go ahead.

Becky
xx

Have pm’d you Becky!

Am seriously considering giving this a go for both my HE and flexi’d children. I have looked at several and if anyone can answer these questions would be grateful!

Maths Whizz - cartoony - geared at 5-13s - will automatically give kids an easier (or harder) exercise depending on how they are scoring.  Is that right?
Conquer - more formal and structured and as far as I can see doesn’t automatically give you the stuff at the right level in the way Maths Whizz does…....?  You have to self select an easier level if you don’t get it - is that right wodge?
Mathletics - couldn’t get much info on this - no sample lessons - and although it is cheap I guess you get what you pay for?!?  Anyone used this?

Sorry - two more questions:

Those of you using Maths Whizz - do you do other maths with them outside the screen time or do you leet the PC take the strain?  Also do you find that it really works in terms of giving them the right level they need etc?  Is the parent report / page all it’s cracked up to be?

Thanks!

Hiya

Sorry, this post didn’t come up on my new posts for some reason….?

I’ve just found out there is a Maths Whizz home ed group.  They have registered as a ‘school’ and parents only have to pay £10 per child per year to join which is a *massive* saving.  I’ve emailed and am waiting to hear more - I’ll let anyone interested know about it.

We’ve only been using a couple of weeks, initially the children had a longish assessment (they can stop and start this anytime) which assessed where they were in lots of different areas of maths.  Then the activities they are given are at the right level.  If they need lots of help the website just gives them easier or harder levels as they need it.  Mine are enjoying it so far (ds more than dd though).

At the moment we are having to explain some of the things in a bit more details as they (particularly ds) are skipping over the explanations to get to the activity but then not knowing what to do.  I guess this is just experience, and they’ll get used to how to use it iykwim.  So - I expect the programme will take most of the ‘maths’ strain with little bits of input as required.  The website says that if kids use it for 15mins a day they will go up two years within a year but I’m guessing that’s ‘school years’?

So far so good, and if we can get it for £10 a year then *well* worth it imho.

Becky
xx

Hi Becky - could you PM me with more info on this home ed group and the associated discount please?  I have pretty much decided to go with this and this rate sounds amazing!  BIG thank yous!

I’d be interested in hearing about it too. For future reference!

Liz grin x

Druid, boat-dwelling, home educating mum of DD1 (11), Aspie DS (9) and baby DD2 (2), & part-time step-mum to 2 stepdaughters, 9 and 7.

Will do!  Just waiting to hear back.

becky
xx

Hi, I am looking for a maths tutor for my daughter as she struggles with maths and I came across your post.  Can you give me the details of the home ed group so I can contact them and get the discount?  What discount would I receive, would it be just £10 for the whole year?  And what would that give us access to?  Thanks in advance for your help

Hi, I would be interested in hearing info about this home ed group and the savings etc, sounds great as £15 p/m each is too much for us.

smile

Lucy

I have more information now.  It’s £7.05 per child per year.  This is for membership, and 3 ‘lessons’ a week (about 1/2 an hour).  You also get all access to games etc.

If you want to upgrade to unlimited lessons then that is up to you and would be an additional £50 per year per child.

Anyone who is interested in getting the signing up info please PM me and I’ll reply with the info as it’s someone’s personal address.

Becky
xx

Having followed up on the information in Becky’s PM I have had an email from today from the lady who was co-ordinating it.  It seems that she is sadly stepping down from co-ordinating this home educator’s discounted group for Maths Whizz because they have changed their terms and conditions and are now only offering schools (and the group) the unlimited “tutoring plus” programme for £50 per child per year.  (Previously there was a limited option at a lower price.)  BUT this is still half the price of what it costs to buy directly and individually online. 

I wonder how many people might be interested in this and whether it is worth seeing if I or someone else can take over co-ordinating it?  (Like I need anything else to do - but then again, £50 is £50!!)

Can I guage interest?  I might drop her an email and see how many other people (if any) she has interested in this.

Share this with friends

Recent Posts