Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parent's, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Hi

I’ve put this into the search box and it came up with LOADS of topics most of which weren’t relevant.  I’m sure it’s been discussed before but I can’t find it.

I’m looking for a washing up liquid recipe.  I’ve got bicarb, vinegar, tea tree oil, soap flakes.  Can anyone give me an idea of what to combine and in what quantities?  I’ve been using Fairy (don’t be too shocked!!!!) because I ran out of Ecover and that was all my DH could find and my hands are sooooo sore and dry and I can’t get out to get anything else for the next few days :(

Many thanks

xxxxxx

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/home_edsupportgroup

We are apt to forget that children watch examples better than they listen to preaching. -Roy L. Smith

There is always a moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in. -Graham Green

If ever I’m out of washing up liquid, I use bar soap, so soap flakes’ll do the same job. I just have to rinse really well to get rid of the residue. Lather up your scrubber/sponge/cloth, give the items a once over and then rinse like mad!

Love and light, Rach. x

Here’s the recipe I use, although I’m sometimes lazy and buy an “eco” one from my organic veg delivery people

1 litre boiling water
2-3 drops tea tree oil or lavender oil (or others - depeneding on what takes my fancy smell wise)
10g soap flakes (2 heaped tsp)
10g soda crystals (2 heaped tsp)
1 tsp vinegar

Good mix and shake up and use.

I would suggest stirring some soap flakes into boiling water and adding a dash of vinegar to make it less scummy.  smile

Sarah
Living, loving, learning, laughing, growing, with
8yo Jenna (August 04)
6yo Morgan (December 06)
4yo Rowan (April 09)
and toddling baby Talia (December 11)

http://www.carried-family.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ArwenMakes

GP LETS number 17

Wow, just wanted to say “hats off” to those of you who make your own washing up liquid. Im afraid I’m just totally lazy and buy ecover.

Note to self: must try harder at this being green thing wink

Nic, with 5 boys and counting…...

Eden - 16 March 2010 04:33 PM

Here’s the recipe I use, although I’m sometimes lazy and buy an “eco” one from my organic veg delivery people

1 litre boiling water
2-3 drops tea tree oil or lavender oil (or others - depeneding on what takes my fancy smell wise)
10g soap flakes (2 heaped tsp)
10g soda crystals (2 heaped tsp)
1 tsp vinegar

Good mix and shake up and use.

Hi Dawn

I used your recipe this morning and am very impressed!!!  It is actually much better at cleaning that anything else I have tried (definitely including Fairy and Ecover!) and left my hands so soft!!!!!  I shall most definitely be using this all the time from now on and was even impressed at how easy and quick it was to make up.

I’m experimenting this morning on home made washing powder so….....

Thank you everyone who replied.

xxxxx

We are apt to forget that children watch examples better than they listen to preaching. -Roy L. Smith

There is always a moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in. -Graham Green

squirrellnutkin - 17 March 2010 07:58 AM

Hi Dawn

I used your recipe this morning and am very impressed!!!  It is actually much better at cleaning that anything else I have tried (definitely including Fairy and Ecover!) and left my hands so soft!!!!!  I shall most definitely be using this all the time from now on and was even impressed at how easy and quick it was to make up.

I’m experimenting this morning on home made washing powder so….....

Thank you everyone who replied.

xxxxx

Great, glad you liked it - it is really easy and cheap. I agree about the softness to the hands, we can always tell when we’ve used the eco bought ones, eczema patches start returning.

Washing powder - look forward to hearing what you try, have seen recipes but never tried them.
x

I’m very impressed with the washing up mix. I’ve been cooking with chocolate today (melting it in a saucepan) and it is usually a right pain to get off once it has set (which is very quickly!) but this mixture cleaned it off with NO PROBLEMS.  I’m totally converted and will NOT be going back to bought ones.  I have made up 1 1/2 litres and it is in a jug next to the sink so is very handy and just as easy to use as a bought one without making my hands sore and without harming the environment.  After washable nappies and a mooncup, this has to be my next big green thing that I have done!!! LOL

will definitely be trying this, currently i make everything else in terms of cleaning & toiletries but the washing up liquid recipe i found made everything really greasy…. already have ingredients to hand so all i need is a little bit of time!

does anyone think it might’ve been the glycerin i had to add that made it greasy? this is it;
1/4 cup soap flakes
2 cups hot water
1/4 cup glycerin
1/2 tsp lemon oil

i guess i’ve answered my question as that’s the only thin it could’ve been! it was vile! we were washing up and then rinsing everything in very hot water with vinegar in! it worked but it was such a faff

ema

SAHM mum to 4 girls born between oct 1993 and feb 2008, married to my soulmate

http://iflutterby.wordpress.com
http://andsotheylearn.wordpress.com/

i love my life (except when it’s all a bit too hectic…)

flutterbyski - 23 March 2010 07:05 PM

will definitely be trying this, currently i make everything else in terms of cleaning & toiletries but the washing up liquid recipe i found made everything really greasy…. already have ingredients to hand so all i need is a little bit of time!

does anyone think it might’ve been the glycerin i had to add that made it greasy? this is it;
1/4 cup soap flakes
2 cups hot water
1/4 cup glycerin
1/2 tsp lemon oil

i guess i’ve answered my question as that’s the only thin it could’ve been! it was vile! we were washing up and then rinsing everything in very hot water with vinegar in! it worked but it was such a faff

ema

Yeah, I would think the glycerine would stick to the washing a bit, seems a strange thing to have in a recipe for washing up liquid. Try it without, or the recipe above works a real treat grin

Well, I’ve been using home-made washing up liquid for a week now and I have beautifully soft hands (a first I think EVER!!!! LOL) with no eczema, and clean dishes and have now got used to the ‘feel’ of it to wash up in and I don’t think will ever buy ready made again.  It’s been so easy because I made up a litre jug full and it stands by the sink and I just use it as I would a shop bought version. 
xxx

I realise this thread is old! But can anyone help me. I am looking to make affordable liquid so was excited by the soap flake recipe that doesnt use castile soap. However DP no longer produce soap flakes and they were the last company to make them as well!

The do liquid soap but that cones in plastic bottles so i wondered could i just use grated soap? Has anyone tried that?

Also i can get off cuts from a local soap maker (palm oil free and natural ingredients and packaging but it will be scented. Would that be too bad?

Any advice would be great. Ill also add that most recipes that include castile soap also use glycerine and thats gunky so wanna avoid.

Thanks guys xx

Hi Pauline. Have you found a good recipe? It’s great if you can get off cuts from a soap maker! I’d say that’d be fine to use whether scented or not. I’d say use the grated soap in boiling water and add soda crystals(washing soda), you could add some liquid Castile soap but that’s optional. You can use glycerin too if you like (moisturises hands), you could even add some essential oils that compliment the scent of your grated soap (tea tree oil for the antibacterial properties, lemongrass, peppermint etc).
I must say though do not mix soap with vinegar or anything acidic (including lemon juice) as this makes the mixture go really clumpy and gross!
I use Pinterest for a lot of my ideas, but a lot of it is just trial and error - just find what works best for you!

Share this with friends

Recent Posts