Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

As part of average development children develop motor control, gross (more general movement) and fine ( the more refined movement, pencil control etc) as they get older. DS1 has difficulties with both. Falls over a lot and struggles with writing, and generally being very rough unintentionally. His OT report has come back with suggestions of ways which may help him, but I’d like to look further into it, and any other alternative idea’s. Does anyone have any experience of supporting the development of Motor Skills, for any age? DS1 is coming up to 6 but his skills are very much still toddler stage.

I’m finding it quite hard trying to meet all his needs and ensure he gets the best development opportunity and support possible.  Trying to find the balance to meet all the area’s he’s struggling with is a challenge, he’s Autistic, but also has difficulties with probably ADHD and Learning difficulties as well as the Motor Control problems above. Does anyone know of anyone/anywhere that helps develop idea’s for support more holistically for children that are struggling? I’m a single parent and it’s pretty overwhelming, I’d love to find more support away from the mainstream, and somehwere to chat and think idea’s through. I’ve been asked recently if I’ll be putting him on Ritalin :(. Any support appreciated.

Thanks

becky

There was a piece in the Green Parent magazine (a few issues ago, can look if you want) about using diet to help autism and ADHD is that the sort of thing that you were looking for?

I don’t know about the other things but I am sure someone else can help.
Good luck with your search.
sarie

Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents,
it was loaned to you by your children.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
we borrow it from our Children.

LETS number 64

The thing that springs to mind for me is Montessori, we do quite a bit of this at home atm as pre-writing skills.

Lots of activities like pouring rice or coloured water from one jug to the other. Ds loves to be given a bin and some safety scissors and just cut a piece of paper into strips. Boys in general develop fine motor much later than girls.

Other ideas from one of my Montessori books-

Walking the line. A six foot piece of string taped to the floor. Show him how to walk it one foot in front of the other.
Threading beads.
Sewing cards.

x

“Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead; tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.”
~~~Groucho Marx~~~~~

Thanks, I read that with interest. We already have an organic diet as much as possible. I’m anti squash and sweetners etc, so he doesn’t have anything like that. We tried dairy free but because of his difficulty with mouthing everything and raiding the cupboards, it was really hard, plus we’re mostly vegetarian, besides the organic meat they occasionally have.

It was more practical idea’s I was thinking of, however ways of getting his brain functioning better is always a good idea. I’m just stuck for further natural idea’s.

Thanks

becky

Thanks, I read that with interest. We already have an organic diet as much as possible. I’m anti squash and sweetners etc, so he doesn’t have anything like that. We tried dairy free but because of his difficulty with mouthing everything and raiding the cupboards, it was really hard, plus we’re mostly vegetarian, besides the organic meat they occasionally have.

I think it’s the gluten in a diet that people with autism have trouble with but would have to double check.
sarie

Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents,
it was loaned to you by your children.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
we borrow it from our Children.

LETS number 64

I think it’s the gluten in a diet that people with autism have trouble with but would have to double check.
sarie[/quote]

The dietician did mention that, but because of his constant mouthing, and raiding the cupboards, he didn’t feel it was a practicle thing to try, for the amount of benefit it could possibly give. He did mention it may be worth trying in the future but until he stops eating everything it would be very difficult to remove from his diet. I don’t think Autism alone is a particularly huge difficulty for him, it’s managing the combination of difficulties that’s the hard part.

Is there a good book on Montessori methods, I always feel a little (ok a lot) lost when I look into it. I can’t seem to get my head around how it works.

Thanks

becky

I have one called ‘teaching montessori in the home’ or something like that. Its aimed at the 3-5s but might be ok for your ds if his skills are on that level?

If you’d like it on loan Pm me your address and i’ll pop in the post x

“Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead; tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.”
~~~Groucho Marx~~~~~

Have PM’d you thanks.

becky

Becky I’d really recommend that you look at something called primary movement.
Google it and see what you think of the theory behind it.  The practice is repetitive (one simple movement, done very very slowly) for a period of time, possibly 3 months or so, but higly effective according to the research.
It has been used with great effect in schools and privately here in Ireland and is headed by a guy called Dr. Martin McPhilips from Queens University. 
Another area you might find interesting is Brain Gym, it works on a similar principle that simple physical exercises can strengthen and/or spark into life the neural pathways of the brain.
I feel that you need something to improve the receptiveness of the brain to the inputs you provide, be it montessori or whatever methods you employ. 
Oh sorry babs waking up, gotta go.
Good luck, will get back to you on it again x.

I would love to hear more on Primary movement, it looks really interesting. The Nursery were using a movement programme with him, but it stopped when he moved into school, although I don’t think it was this specific. He has low muscle tone as well. It looks like something that he would benefit from. I would love to hear more from you. Thanks becky

Baba having a bad night, so don’t have time to chat to as we’d need right now.
I’m a primary school teacher btw and it is something that can be done in a whole class situation, but I personally feel that it’s better done in a 1 to 1 as you can really observe the difficulty with the movement as well as the progress being made. 
Did the website give any details of the first movement?  Can’t remember if it does or not.

Didn’t give any details of the movements at all. Needed to do a course for a fee. Do you know of a better website? Hope your night improves.

becky

I’ll get back to you with the first movement and you can give it a try if you want.
Will pm you when I get a chance.  DS seems to be more settled now, thanks x.

‘Mommy Teach Me’ is a good book which has a montessori slant and ideas for activities to do with pre-schoolers which it sounds like he maybe needs..each activity is spelt out step by step so you know how to do

re diet, ‘Gut and Psychology Syndrome’ by Natasha Campbell-McBride is very good reading for diets for Autism/ADHD…I have a CD of her speaking and she is highly knowledgeable in this area

mummyk

happy mummy at last to DD born March 2006..and DS born sept 2007..wonderful fabulous gifts. living as green as possible but always striving to be better!home edding and loving it!

LETS no 116

Share this with friends

Recent Posts