Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Well, they’re supposed to last 10 years or so, but I must have had a monday morning one. But now what to do with it? Does anyone know where I can recycle this?

Thanks!
Love,
SunshineXX

Sunshine
CARPE DIEM!

(Lets number 63)

Depends what your area offers, check here if you can recycle nearby

http://www.recyclenow.com/what_can_i_do_today/can_it_be_recycled/miscellaneous/light_bulbs.html

Ikea recycle them if you have one nearby?

Beck x

Radically unschooling mama to three gorgeous pickles Alfie (April 06) and Holly (Nov 07), Amber (Nov 2010)

http://blogs.wallman.org.uk/becki

Energy saving light bulbs (from our local Recycle council website):
‘Light bulbs containing mercury (low energy light bulbs, gas discharge lamps or fluorescent tubes) are classed as hazardous waste.
Hazardous waste items should not be disposed of through the general waste route. A designated container is provided at all of our permanent Household Waste Recycling Sites for these bulbs, the most common type being fluorescent tubes.
The bulbs and tubes are collected and reprocessed into the components of crushed glass, ferrous and non ferrous metals and mercury.’

(note the plastic parts cannot be recycled which is a large proportion of the bulb)
The ‘last 10 years thing’ is a con- they do not like being turned on and off and may well not be energy saving at all if they are turned on and off often (see previous thread about this). They are designed to be left on for long periods (it is to do with the way they work with a kind of ‘start-up’)  so not much good for the average domestic setting. I have had 3 such bulbs come to the end of their lives in less than 3 years. I could go off on a rant now about my hatred of these so-called ‘energy-saving’ light bulbs but will stop before I get carried away… grrrrr.

Thank you all, very helpful answers. Now I just need to wait until I next go in the right direction for either the tip or Ikea. At least they *can* be recycled, I was a bit worried that because they;re meant to last 10 years, they hadn’t thought about that yet.

Love,
SunshineXX

Sunshine
CARPE DIEM!

(Lets number 63)

Share this with friends

Recent Posts