Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parent's, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

I felt it was important to pass this info on, though I am hoping and assuming some/most of you are already aware of it.  When I started using Hipp Organic milks for my son after I finished breastfeeding at 16 months they were all veggie certified.  It was natural for me to go back to these when my daughter finished breastfeeding at the same age a couple of years later.  I did not think to check they were still veggie and to my horror her nursery just pointed it out to me today.  Here is what their website says about it … we have been using Oat Milk for the last couple of months at home and the only Hipp she has had is from nursery once a week. 

21. Why are HiPP milks no longer vegetarian?
The formulation of the HiPP Organic range of baby milks, including the infant, follow on and growing up milks, is about to change at the beginning of 2010. Unfortunately, this has resulted in these formulas losing their vegetarian status and we apologise to our customers who will be disappointed in this change. However, we would like to take this opportunity to explain why we decided to reformulate our range of baby milks and why we believe this to be an important and positive development for our organic milks.
The new milks have had to change vegetarian status due to the following additions to our milks –

• PRÆBIOTIK® oligosaccharides

All the infant and follow on milks, including dried and ready?to?feed formulations, have had PRÆBIOTIK® oligosaccharides added to the formulations. Animal rennet is involved in the production of these oligosaccharides; unfortunately there was no alternative vegetarian source of these oligosaccharides available for us to use.
Prebiotic oligosaccharides are found in breastmilk and are special nutrients that support the growth of friendly bacteria in a baby’s tummy, improving stool consistency and thus aiding healthy digestion. We have added PRÆBIOTIK® oligosaccharides to our milks so that bottle fed babies being fed our milks can also benefit from the advantages of softer stools and healthier gut bacteria.

• LCPs (long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids) from fish oils

Our two infant milks, HiPP Organic First Infant Milk and HiPP Organic Hungry Infant Milk (in the dried forms only) have had fish oils added as a source of Omega 3 and Omega 6 LCPs. These LCPs, namely DHA and AA, are found in breastmilk and are known to benefit babies by playing an important role in the healthy development of the brain, nervous system and eyes. In 2008, an international panel of scientific and paediatric experts* concluded that, based on the latest scientific research, the enrichment of infant formulas with DHA and AA was recommended. For this reason we decided to add them to our infant milks as soon as we could find a suitable source that would be approved for use in our organic infant milks. It has now become possible to do this and so babies being fed the HiPP First Infant Milk or Hungry Infant Milk can benefit from the advantages these LCPs offer.

• Lactose

Our milks are now produced with lactose of non?vegetarian origin as it has become increasingly difficult and unjustifiably costly to source lactose produced according to the vegetarian standards. This explains why the HiPP Organic Growing up Milk and HiPP Organic Good Night Milk will no longer be
suitable for vegetarians, even though they have not been supplemented with either PRÆBIOTIK® or LCPs.
We decided that making the additions of PRÆBIOTIK® oligosaccharides and fish oils to our milks could significantly benefit all babies drinking our milks and this benefit was given priority over the very small number of babies that were being given our milks due to their vegetarian status (a recent poll of HiPP Organic baby milk users showed that only 1% used the milks because they were suitable for vegetarians). Although we sympathise with the dilemma this has left our vegetarian customers in, we strongly believe that the nutritional argument for adding these ingredients significantly outweighed the retaining of the vegetarian status of our milks.
Parents now have the option of giving their babies a formula with the added benefits of PRÆBIOTIK® oligosaccharides and LCPs, and all the reassurance that goes along with them being ORGANIC too.

http://organicfamilylove.blogspot.com/

Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am
thankful that thorns have roses

Mamma to Zander River nearly 5, Gaia Arwen Sky nearly 3

And Hipp was the last veggie one too! When DS had formula he had SMA Gold which was veggie, but by the time I had DD that was no longer veggie. Fortunately DD has always been bf (and still is at 3!) so the issue didn’t arise, and hopefully new bean will also never need formula. I think it’s awful that there are no veggie formulas now though. I didn’t know that Hipp wasn’t so thanks for pointing it out.

Beck x

Radically unschooling mama to three gorgeous pickles Alfie (April 06) and Holly (Nov 07), Amber (Nov 2010)

http://blogs.wallman.org.uk/becki

Crikey, I never knew any formula milk wasnt vegetarian! Not that we have ever used it (especially being vegan!) but it never crossed my mind that formula wouldnt be veggie….

What a shame for other vegetarian parents who are forced to rely on formula milk though…. :(

http://www.fill-your-pants.com - Reusable Nappies and Natural Baby Goods
http://www.reallypants.com - The Blog for All Things Real Nappy

That is a shame. Have they made these changes because they have to legally?

hi! I just found out today ! What am i suppose to do ? Cant find any formula goat or cow milk without it . help please

Hi!! I hope people still check this thread, I bought SMA Lactose Free and SMA Soy the other day and BOTH have been given approval by the Vegetarian Society, I’d look more into their range smile

Share this with friends

Recent Posts