Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

So the conservatives. free money to set up school. relativley easy application process. where an in what formis the catch going to fall?
ami just being pessimistic or does anyone else think it all sounds a bit too good to be true.

and isnt it going to be just about making money as demand by the stakholders in the buisiness? so will this detract money that cold be put back into the school?

i just dont trust it!!

I’m in wales where we don’t have free schools (education is a devolved power, ie westminster education laws don’t automatically apply). However I’m English and my mum, who has been a state school teacher for 35+ years, and who is massively pro HE, steiner, etc alternatives, is very excited by this.

I am uneasy about giving businesses the right to run schools. However, I think this might streamline the procedures for groups of parents who wish to start schools and that can only be good.

I totally agree with the arguements too about this being just another tory way to help the middle class avoid mixing with the local oiks…but as my kids are HE’d/steiner school I am a bit of a hypocrite there on that one.

eta : interesting link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/8401822.stm

Edith - 29 October 2010 05:40 AM

I totally agree with the arguements too about this being just another tory way to help the middle class avoid mixing with the local oiks…

I think that, succinctly put is the catch, the worry is that it’ll be the undoing of equality of opportunity. In the main they’ll just be regular schools but elitist, but hopefully it does mean that some more alternatively minded education might become more accessible too.

Very interesting to hear about Wales, I was having a brief chat about free schools with someone at the Steiner-based playgroup, so it’s a no-go at the moment then?

? We must live with hearts wide open, hearts wildly open ?

Wild glamping in the mountains of southern Spain ... http://wildsierraglamping.simpl.com/

it’ll be the undoing of equality of opportunity

We don’t have equality of opportunity - we just like to think we do.

Share this with friends

Recent Posts