Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Hi there

I am a committed attachment parenting mother and really enjoy it, I love being with my children most of the time  raspberry 

I have noticed recently that my youngest who is 2y 5m old has been really very clingy, much more than usual.  Is this a common phase at this age?

I have 3 others but I can't remember for the life of me.  I am trying to figure out if it is normal, or because of his speech issues - maybe he knows nobody understands what he is communicating as well as I do and gets anxious about me not being around??

Becky
xx

Mummy to four little ones

Hi

Thanks Luissa, it is helpful to hear.  He isn't too bad around the house, especially when my other children are around.  When they aren't he only follows me if I go upstairs or outside. 

The main issue is leaving the house to go to the shops or whatever - at the moment he is a bundle of tears and snot at the very idea of me going anywhere!  He is a velcro baby and always has been - stuck to me 24/7  :D  Good job he's so adorable

Becky
xx

Can relate to both of you DD was very clingy at 2 and half, and I did pull her out of playgroup, we are going to try again in September.
She is now just over 3 and much more out going, I think having the baby has helped with this, although she may have just gone through a period of needing me more.
My older ones were not like this, but hey we are all different!

Becky, I like the term Velcro Baby, shall borrow that from you!

Oh, I'm glad to hear it is a common phase  smile

Sam has also been a sling baby, lived in it for the first 2 years nearly.  Funnily enough he isn't keen any more at all, not sure why.  I am thinking of getting one of those hip slings…

I borrowed the velcro baby from someone else, it so accurately describes him  wink

Becky
x

Both of mine have gone through this at various times. My DD was velcro from about a year to about 20 months, and my son was velcro right form the start and only really let up on it when he was nearly 3 and even now, at just over 3 we have occasional days or weeks of it again. With mine it seemed always to coincide with some major developmental leap - like they'd frightened themselves at acquiring a new skill and needed some reassurance again, before going on, acquiring another new skill and then coming back again. Don't know if that rings any bells for you?

Liz grin x

Druid, boat-dwelling, home educating mum of DD1 (11), Aspie DS (9) and baby DD2 (2), & part-time step-mum to 2 stepdaughters, 9 and 7.

Nothing that I have noticed, but I will keep an eye on him in case he picks up a violin or something  ;D

Ooh, maybe he is about to start talking in sentences…..

Becky
xx

I think you are all very lucky as i have the opposite to a velcro baby, he doesnt need to be any where near me when we are out. In fact i have 'lost ' him so many times now. I only have to turn for just a second and he wanders off. He thinks there is nothing wrong, when he decided to come back to find me in a little of a fluster he says, where did you go mum i was looking for you, as calm as anything like he has lost a crayon or something !!!! He is 5 and very confident but i wish he would not be so when we are out so much !!!!!!!!!!

when life gives you a rainy day play in the puddles !!!
mum to 4 sons 13,7,4 and 2
a daughter 8 years ,
and always in my heart my angel xx

Hi Jennifer-
Emily's the same as yours- but not quite 4 yet- I've had the tanoy going and staff out in force in the supermarket a couple of times and when she turns up she's totally unphased "but I wasn't lost I was just looking for the jam…"
We fortunatly live in a reasonable quiet area and the locals know her as the "little running girl"- as soon as I step out of the house she is already at the end of the street (100m away) waiting for me to let her cross the road ::) and nothing makes her realise that maybe it isn't the best thing to do.
Gill

Hi, Yes my older ones are like this too.  They've only been velcro babies for about 3 years  ;D

Becky
xx

Share this with friends

Recent Posts