Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

I have had the most infuriating day sitting in waiting for a delivery.  (that, incidentally hasn't arrived  >:( )  Even more infuriating is that when I told a friend she said "well, think how people feel if they'd taken a day off work".  Eh!?  I had loads of errands to run today, not to mention a walk or swimming with little fella but instead we wasted the whole day sitting in. 

Why do people think if you are a full time mum you sit twiddling your thumbs watching trisha all day with nothing to do?  Why don't people think it is as valid as a paid job.

Grrrrr
Sorry for the rant

Becky
xx

Mummy to four little ones

Couldn't agree with you more. 

Thing is, if you'd taken a day off work, then you'd probably relish the day of not having to do your usual things, and treat yourself.  But when you've got your usual stuff that needs doing, children to sort out etc then it's just another thing to get in the way.

What get's me is when you say you've got the school run to do, and the delivery people will say they'll avoid that time, you can guarantee they turn whilst you are out!

Don't asked me why? Went to toddler group today and stated that I was enjoying being a stay at home mum and and I think most of them thought I was crazy as my youngest LO is already 17 months old and normally mums only stay at home till they are 6 months from my experince. Some of them were talking about money reasons and I do understand this but then I look at ourselves and we manage to live on one salary. We haven't got a flash life but we getting by. What really annoys me is the question How soon I would go back to work and to be honest at present time I have no desire to go back and pay someone else to look after my children. I do enjoy seeing them growing up! Sorry maybe not same subject but had to get that of my chest!! ;D

Totally agree!!  I once had a bloke round to shampoo the carpets when we were moving house and he asked me what I did for a job.  At the time, I was hugely pregnant, had three small children running around and was in the middle of downloading some colouring sheets for them off the computer.  If I hadn't been such a nice person, I might have asked him the same question!!   >:(

Home educating Mammy to DD aged 13, DS aged 12, DS aged 10, DD aged 7, DD aged 3 and DS aged 2 weeks!!  grin

All I do is drink coffee and watch daytime tv.
And there are people who honestly hold that view.
>:(

[quote author=EarthMummie link=topic=1504.msg15933#msg15933 date=1210792573]
All I do is drink coffee and watch daytime tv.
And there are people who honestly hold that view.
>:(

me too - trisha, jeremy kyle, all day i watch tv on my backside!!
i actually spoke to another mum today who had the same views as me - she didnt think i was a weirdo when i said that i wasnt looking forward to my dd going to school, and i would keep her home 'til she was 7 if i wanted to!
what bugs me is the 'when are you going to get a proper job?'
obviously ' actually, i'm bringing up the next generation' doesnt go down too well wink

Well, it seems we're all missing out on the vast array of daytime chat shows…
now what *could* we be doing with our time?!

This annoys me as well.

I took my dd into town and we were hasled by some bloke trying to sell us private healthcare.  I explained I was at home bringing up my daughter and as we only had one wage coming in I wasn't interested.  He wouldn't take no for an answer and did make some coment about doing something when I wasn't unemployed.  I'd stop listening at that point, but it just really annoyed me.  I do work part time for 8 hours a week but since when has being a full time Mum meant I was unemployed.   I do a full time job and part time one, and I'd like to see that idiot look after a child full time.

It seems to me that the only time caring for a child is seen as a valid thing to do is when you're being paid to look after someone else's.

The government and media are always going on about the behaviour of kids today, attitude, drinking, violence etc but look at the main difference to kids 20 plus years ago.  Then there were a lot of families with one parent at home full time.  It can't be just me that spots a link to decline in behaviour of kids and the governments push to get Mums back to work ASAP after giving birth.

Clueless Mama I tink you are right!!

Hear hear Clueless Mama…..I hate it when even the Health V asks me am I back at work yet….WHEN am I going back….errrr I'm not for the foreseeable cos I have a job already!!!!!!  It's true that the only valid childcare is looking after someone else's whilst they do a "proper" job….ggggrrrrrrrr  There is also a general attitude around not going back to "proper" work that really bugs me…it's as if people think I'm just saying I want to stay at home to bring up my child myself becasue I need an excuse to do what they see as NOTHING all day.

GP LETS 25

Hi there all,

Just wanted to include the following link, thought the motherhood manifesto
would interest many of us…

www.momsrising.org
regards
w.w.

Just as an update to my original rant  wink  I was obviously limbering up for an argument and preparing the slagging off of the company that I would tell everyone when they called and told me they would knock £60 off for all the trouble they had put me to, apologised profusely and delivered promptly the next morning. 

Considering the total order was £120 that was a substantial discount!!!!  Took the wind out of my sails, and I was well pleased!

Becky
xx

p.s. Agree with everyone about everything!

Mummy to four little ones

Also £60 for a days work is better than the minimum wage.  Seems your time was valued, well financially anyway. 

DD1 - Nov 04
DD2 - Aug 07

I work in a intensive enviroment, involving being on call 24hours a day, 365 days a year.

I get no paid holiday. I am not allowed to take a day sick.

I may be called upon at any time of day or night, to make any number of important decisions.

Even when I'm on the loo, I'm at work.

My job description includes these roles, to name a few:
Head Chef
Housekeeper
Child Phsycologist
Playworker
Health Care Assitant
Personal Assistant/ Diary Manager
Events Planner

Now tell me I don't have a full time job!

ME and the Dp have a thoery that when a mother/father decided to stay at home and bring the children up there tax allowance the the 5 or so thousand you can earn before paying tax should then go on your partners tax band. To us its only fair.

when life gives you a rainy day play in the puddles !!!
mum to 4 sons 13,7,4 and 2
a daughter 8 years ,
and always in my heart my angel xx

[quote author=EarthMummie link=topic=1504.msg16050#msg16050 date=1210948374]
I work in a intensive enviroment, involving being on call 24hours a day, 365 days a year.

I get no paid holiday. I am not allowed to take a day sick.

I may be called upon at any time of day or night, to make any number of important decisions.

Even when I'm on the loo, I'm at work.

My job description includes these roles, to name a few:
Head Chef
Housekeeper
Child Phsycologist
Playworker
Health Care Assitant
Personal Assistant/ Diary Manager
Events Planner

Now tell me I don't have a full time job!

Ah- but the problem comes with health and safty-
dealing with hazardous waste without PPL (personal protective equipment).
sound level exposure.
women are not allowed to lift heavier than 20Kg (I think it reduces to 10kg when pregnant).
being in control of a vehicle without required rest breaks.
8 hours break between work shifts.
30 minutes break from work for every 8 hours worked.
sick leave, compassionate leave, maternity leave…..
Gill

Share this with friends

Recent Posts