Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Well that's what we say we're doing as it seems to stall all the constant nursery questions.   wink  I'm sick of people asking already, "when is she starting?" and she's only two!

We're leaning towards unchooling, or certainly child led learning as unschooling seems to be locally synonomous with TCS (Taking Children Seriously, a discipline paradigm that gives children total responsibility) which we aren't so much.  Who else is "homeschooling" tinies?  Mine aren't even nearly school age but it is pretty obvious that they are picking up stuff daily.  Jenna is very into wildlife right now, and also photography probably as an extention of that.

Sarah

Sarah
Living, loving, learning, laughing, growing, with
8yo Jenna (August 04)
6yo Morgan (December 06)
4yo Rowan (April 09)
and toddling baby Talia (December 11)

http://www.carried-family.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ArwenMakes

GP LETS number 17

My older children are 'officially' being home educated (as in they are over 5), but my youngest is only 2 and while I hope to home educate her as well, her days are spent playing and following me around etc.  At this age, I think, chatting to them is really important, finding bugs in the garden and pointing out the little wings and legs and asking them simple questions (where is the head?  How many spots can you see? etc).  The same for flowers and trees, it's sort of about teaching them to find interesting things all around them and so open up their mind to learning.  I don't really do any sit down stuff until well over 5, lots of reading and lots and lots of craft and drawing as I think it's a vital way for little children to express themselves.  That's what goes on in our house anyway!!   ;D

Pippa

Home educating Mammy to DD aged 13, DS aged 12, DS aged 10, DD aged 7, DD aged 3 and DS aged 2 weeks!!  grin

We're also homeschooling with a 4 and 2 year old. We also ahd the 'when is she starting?' comments from when she was 2. Our days are currently very unstructured but I am planning to join some home ed groups in the next few months and maybe find a yoga class or soemthing like that. But I want to keep the structured activities to a minimum for the moment and do lots of drawing, painting, gardening, walking, reading etc. My 4 year old has started to rerad and my 2 year knows all his letter sounds and numbers up to 10 (this at their own request), so it's obvious things are happening with both of them!

Liz grin x

Druid, boat-dwelling, home educating mum of DD1 (11), Aspie DS (9) and baby DD2 (2), & part-time step-mum to 2 stepdaughters, 9 and 7.

Hi
my Emily has just turned 3 and is an information magnet- I am constantly amazed at what she absorbs and remembers. I try to talk to her as an inteligent individual rather than an annoyance (as I hear so often out and about-"just shut up and eat your crisps and sweets").Every "what" or "how" is discussed and I really try to get her to work out her own suggestions rather than just tell her- She is really into rhyming words at the moment and any new words she hears she will try to think of another which rhymes, she is also excellent at identifying birds- we have a wild area just outside the window where we have breakfast and knows every species our there!
Our one bit of "structure" is every morning when Tomas has his nap, Emily has "mummy time" when we play on the computer, read, practice writing, simple maths- it is totally motivated by her and if she wants to do anything else thats fine but she is so interested at the moment we're usually doing something"educational".
i had never considered home schooling before joining this forum as I loved learning in a school environment- but I'm becoming more open-minded. Does anyone know if it is possible to attend school part-time so I could teach her for 2 days a week and attend school for the other 3 days?- that would suit us perfectly- if you can, how do you go about it?
Gill

I don't know of anyone myself who does this, but have heard flexi-schooling mentioned before, so it does happen.  I think it is up to the school to decide from what I've read.  I would imagine if you look at either the EO or HEAS websites, there will be a section on flexi-schooling there that might be helpful

Pippa

Home educating Mammy to DD aged 13, DS aged 12, DS aged 10, DD aged 7, DD aged 3 and DS aged 2 weeks!!  grin

I am preschool HE'ing my two boys (4 and 20 months) I am constantly asked when DS1 is going to nursery.

I also do occasionally have a 'are they learning anything' moment but then we do something - gardening etc and I realise they are - just not necc what they would be learning at pre-school - much more interesting stuff! And in the comfort of their own home smile

My two are being HE, 2.5 and 1.5, already getting lots of which nursery/preschool are they going to. Had this question from a friend of mine the other day and as I waded into my reply, she said "that is great, I now head up the department dealing with HE within the LA". Did not even know that she had changed jobs, but she was very supportive and was telling me that as they will never be on any lists the LA will not be allowed to monitor me (unless they change the law).

OK, don't mean to be controversial, but how can you be homeschooling a pre-schooler?  Surely everyone is? ???  Mine go/will go to school and nursery school, but I still taught them plenty before that!  I hate the way a lot of home ed parents talk as though parents who send their children to school just hand over the whole responsibility for their education to the LEA and never do anything else with them.  I'm a nursery teacher so I know the Early Years Curriculum inside out, and I do things with my children that extend the learning experiences they have in school.  I have nothing against home educating (I was home educated for a year as a child) but I do hate the attitude that only home educating parents actually do anything to teach their children.  Pretty much all parents of 2 year olds for example are home educating as they are too young to go to school!

I don't think anyone said that parents planning to send their children to schoo did less with preschoolers than HE parents, did they? Simply that if you know from the off that you're going to HE all the way then you may be more aware of laying foundations in the preschool years and also more aware of the continuity as there is no official demarcation point between learning being the parents' responsibility and the school's.
What I get fed-up about is the tension between HE-ers and people who use schools. Surely we all have the same aim - happy kids learning - so why can't we lay off the blaming and get on with the learning? Different strokes for different folks.

Liz grin x

Druid, boat-dwelling, home educating mum of DD1 (11), Aspie DS (9) and baby DD2 (2), & part-time step-mum to 2 stepdaughters, 9 and 7.

I didn't say that anyone here was saying that, just that I have met a lot of home educators who do.  IMHO pretty much everything that a pre-schooler does counts as education, and I have yet to see a child start my nursery class who couldn't talk and didn't know numbers, colours etc, therefore their parents must be doing something with them, despite sending them to nursery school!  I totally agree that what suits one family doesn't necessarily suit another, but some home educators can imply that those of us who chose to send their children to school just can't be bothered with them.

I think for those who make a positive decision NOT to send their children to ante pre-school and preschool then you are choosing to keep your child home. What they get in the 2 pre-school years is 'education' so if they are not in the preschool stuff they are being educated at home.

That is totally separate from the whether 'education' happens all the time - which of course it does. whether in a education setting or at home.

[quote author=Willow link=topic=173.msg3474#msg3474 date=1186131422]
Pretty much all parents of 2 year olds for example are home educating as they are too young to go to school!

Yes, but a large proportion of these are already in some kind of child care setting.

Each to their own, I would never imply that someone was wrong for sending their child to school, but on the same hand I do not expect people to say I am wrong for not.

At the risk of offending anyone, I am already struggling with peoples' perceptions of HEing parents. Most that I have met have been "alternative" and I do not mean that in a bad way. I am very conservative and there seems to be very few people like me who have decided to HE from the beginning, most have come to it once the school system has failed them. I do think that it is unfortunate that HE is seen as hippy and alternative, or maybe that has just been my experience.

[quote author=Lilypond link=topic=173.msg3515#msg3515 date=1186299386]
[quote author=Willow link=topic=173.msg3474#msg3474 date=1186131422]
Pretty much all parents of 2 year olds for example are home educating as they are too young to go to school!

Yes, but a large proportion of these are already in some kind of child care setting.

Each to their own, I would never imply that someone was wrong for sending their child to school, but on the same hand I do not expect people to say I am wrong for not.

At the risk of offending anyone, I am already struggling with peoples' perceptions of HEing parents. Most that I have met have been "alternative" and I do not mean that in a bad way. I am very conservative and there seems to be very few people like me who have decided to HE from the beginning, most have come to it once the school system has failed them. I do think that it is unfortunate that HE is seen as hippy and alternative, or maybe that has just been my experience.

I agree - and its part of my problem in convincng my DH - it all just seems too alternative for him.

[quote author=Tomsmum link=topic=173.msg3516#msg3516 date=1186300847]

I agree - and its part of my problem in convincng my DH - it all just seems too alternative for him.

Claire, when I get 5 mins to myself, I will pm you with my points that I used with dh, got to go toddler grabbing me.

Lilypond,

if you are comfortable sharing, I think your points could make valuable reading for many people smile many of my friends have differences of opinion on education, so your ideas are worth shouting if they worked for you  wink

Starchild x

I help your customers find you on Google. Website design | SEO | Social Media | PR | Author

“Internet marketing solutions that transform your online business”: http://gloucestershirewebdesigns.co.uk/

Connect with me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Raestrauss

Find me on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rachellestrauss

LETS member 35

My husband was also unsure about HE.  I told him I was uncomfortable with bub going to school at such a young age as I feel that 5 is very young for many children to be at school.  Told him about the fact that in Finland (considered to be one of best education systems), children start at 7, and that many Finns think that starting at 5 is pretty barbaric.  This is also the same in Singapore, another successful system.  I explained that I have worked in schools (both primary and secondary) and feel that when kids are older they can stand up for themselves and explain their point of view (if they are fairly self-confident) but that 5 year olds just are not able to do that.

He's coming 'round and I hope that once we are HEing (bub is 2), then he'll see the benefits  of doing it for longer , but if not, then at least bub will be a bit older.

This argument is fairly mainstream - do some research and throw in some facts about Finnish education - it might help.  Good luck

Tanya

Share this with friends

Recent Posts