Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Hello
I don’t know if you have seen but Oxfam have launched a movement this week, called GROW. It is international and connects a few major issues- hunger, the environment, Agricultural rights and corporate nastiness! I think it is done in a really comprehensive way, shows a big picture, with some weighty research behind it. The aims are huuuge but they give some really fun ideas to help create the shifts- picnics?!! Think I will hold one myself here in camberwell.
Anyway thought some of you would be keen to take action and thought it might also be a good resource for home edders.
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/get_involved/campaign/food/index.html

X x

Come and say hello at Lulastic and the Hippyshake http://www.lulastic.wordpress.com - Attachment parenting and thrifty, recycled homemaking.

Am I being really dumb, I can’t figure out what it is they are wanting people to do :(

OK so you have a picnic, how does this change things?  What is it that they want to happen?
Sorry to ask but it really isn’t clear on the website.
sarie

Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents,
it was loaned to you by your children.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
we borrow it from our Children.

LETS number 64

Hey sarie
I think at this stage it is about awareness raising/ info sharing, trying to get others on board with the challenge. Then later on there will be more specific actions- like lobbying a big corporate/ the g20.
It’s pretty informAl in a way, they are saying :this is the issue, here are some ideas- but you run with it. I like it, loads more organic and meaningful than ‘sign this”.
Although I have downloaded the guide so have read more and did used to work for them so am clearly a bit biased! Would be interested to hear others thoughts on whether this is a good way of creating change?

Come and say hello at Lulastic and the Hippyshake http://www.lulastic.wordpress.com - Attachment parenting and thrifty, recycled homemaking.

I appreciate the info and it makes interesting reading, then I felt it said you can do something, then nothing…not quite sure about it, I do sign petitions but also raise awareness other ways but am still confused unfortunately.  Not sure what they expect people to do with this :s

sarie

Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents,
it was loaned to you by your children.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
we borrow it from our Children.

LETS number 64

I tried to find out more about what doing a land grab involved because that sounded interesting and like it could have quite an impact and could potentially give people the oppertunity to discuss wider land issues in the media. Im also slightly unclear about what its about, but will be investigating further when I have time.

Share this with friends

Recent Posts