Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

This is so appalling, I can hardly believe it’s happened…

In Madrid, Spain, a young Moroccan mother has had her baby taken into care, forcefully and without any judicial procedure taking place, basically just because she was still breastfeeding her at 15 months. She was living in sheltered accommodation for young mothers, where apparently it is routinely encouraged to wean “older” babies, even forcing medication onto mothers to stop producing milk. This woman, known as Habiba, was described as incompetent as a mother because she was feeding her baby “chaotically”, for example, when the baby cried or hurt herself. She was basically feeding on demand.

This is government-sponsored sheltered accommodation, but they seem to have their own rules and they seem to even be unaware of WHO basic guidelines for breastfeeding. I’m Spanish, and I’m ashamed something like this can happen in my country. On the positive side, there’s been a massive response from people, there’s a Facebook group and an online petition some of you may want to sign (if you can read Spanish, or trust Google translations).

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_170685046326633

http://actuable.es/peticiones/dile-al-instituto-madrileno-del-menor-y-familia-reuna-a

Thanks for reading

Have just read about this on fb, had me in bits.

So shocked, I know I shouldn’t be but the world is so cruel sometimes.
sarie

Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents,
it was loaned to you by your children.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
we borrow it from our Children.

LETS number 64

Can’t believe this can happen in this day and age!!! Shocking. Thanks for hilighting this.

Has someone who has had a baby in Spain I can believe it. Shocking. When I left hospital with my first my notes read “recommended feeding: breast milk and/or formula”, how confusing is that for someone who doesn’t have any other input.

? We must live with hearts wide open, hearts wildly open ?

Wild glamping in the mountains of southern Spain ... http://wildsierraglamping.simpl.com/

MountainMama - 09 June 2011 09:05 AM

Has someone who has had a baby in Spain I can believe it. Shocking. When I left hospital with my first my notes read “recommended feeding: breast milk and/or formula”, how confusing is that for someone who doesn’t have any other input.

I know, giving birth in Spain is particularly medicalised and breastfeeding is not really encouraged. My sister in law had her first by c-section and she wasn’t even asked about feeding. They took the baby to my brother with a bottle to give him, and that was that. Of course they hadn’t thought about it, so he gave it to him. She tried to bf but didn’t manage. Never had any support.

I am really happy to have had my children in England, all in all. Having said that, not that long ago, in England, with my first, I actually had to go sort of against doctors advice (read pushiness) to top up with formula. The problem? Different according to different midwives: my breast shape, my breast size, my baby’s size (smallish, but healthy full term baby)... They almost derailed us, took us 3 agonizing weeks to establish a good latch and settled feeding, but at least I can say I never gave in and she never had anything but my milk (I’m very stubborn smile ). And she thrived, of course.

Signing the petition for Habiba, by the way, is very easy. Please sign it if you can. It just requires name, email and postcode. Google translations would give you a good flavour of the content of the text if you are unsure, but if you trust me, it basically says to get them reunited now and let them bf in peace.

Share this with friends

Recent Posts