Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

HI

I AM A SINGLE PARENT TO A WONDERFUL 4.5 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER.  I LEFT HER FATHER WHEN SHE WAS 18 MONTHS OLD.  HAD ANOTHER RELATIONSHIP FOR 2 YEARS WHICH I HAVE RECENTLY ENDED.  HER BIOLOGICAL FATHER IS SADLY NOT VERY INTERESTED. INFREQUENT CONTACT, FULL OF EMPTY PROMISES.  HE LIVES IN GERMANY AND WE HAVE RECENTLY MOVED TO IRELAND AFTER LIVING IN THE UK FOR 2 YEARS.  MY EX PARTNER WAS A WONDERFUL FATHER SUBSTITUTE - AND NOW WE ARE WITHOUT A ROLE MODEL IN OUR LIFE.

I KNOW MY DECISION TO LEAVE BOTH RELATIONSHIPS WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.  BELIVE THAT IF A PARENT IS HAPPY THE CHILD WILL BE TOO.  WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR ON THIS BOARD IS OTHER HAPPY SINGLE PARENTS WHO WOULD LIKE TO SWOP IDEAS, THOUGHTS AND TIPS ON RAISING A HAPPY HEALTHY CHILD IN A FAMILY OF 2.

I GREW UP IN AN UNHAPY HOME SO I KNOW FROM FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE THAT EVEN THOUGH ON PAPER IT SOUNDS GREAT TO BE BROUGHT UP IN A HOME WITH TWO PARENTS - IF THERE ISN'T HARMONY THE CHILD WILL PICK UP ON THAT.

MY MAIN CONCERN AT THE MOMENT IS FINANCIAL.  SO IF ANYBODY HAS TIPS ON MAKING YOUR MONEY GO FURTHER I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY -NOW I KNOW WHY YOU ARE A HERO MEMBER  :D.  WILL HAVE A LOOK AT THE OTHER THREADS.  GUESS ITS NOT ONLY SINGLE PARENTS WHO ARE MINDING THERE PENNIES THESE DAYS.

I'm a single-ish parent- on paper I'm single..I am still with my OH of 3 years but we live apart at the minute (through necessity not choice) so i am living with my parents at the minute. Ways of saving money…we do little small things such as we only buy chicken once a week- on a Sunday- and it is free range, but we will boil down the carcass, add the vegetable leftovers of the previous week- and that makes a nice soup for Monday's dinner! Also, regularly go over your finances- try to weed out any unnessecary expenditures. Also, do not buy in bulk as half the food will probably go to waste as you forget it and it goes out of date easily- buy things as and when you need it but give yourself a weekly housekeeping budget.

http://primaveraa.blogspot.com/

“Hello, this is Radio 4. The news today: the world is ending, and most of us are going to die in a variety of hideous and extremely painful ways. Later on in the programme, we discuss how this will affect the already falling W.I membership numbers. But right now, it’s time for “The Archers”

I spent most of my childhood with my mum.  My parents separated when I was a baby and then got divorced, my dad returned when I was 10 , they re-married when I was 22, how crazy was that?  Anyway enough of my life story, the point I wish to make is that for the first 10 years I was raised by my mum, she was the most dutiful, wonderful mother any child could wish to have.  We had very little money, and do you know what?  we were happy children who appreciated everything she did for us.  I think as long as children live in a happy loving environment it doesn't matter whether they have one parent or two.  I do think boys need a good male role model however, and if the father is absent, a Grandad or uncle or even a karate or a football coach can be really useful.  Never feel that you need to rush a relationship with someone because you feel the children need a substitute father.  To be honest, when my father came back I found it very hard to adjust to him and spent a long time missing the times I shared with just me my brother and my mum.

Share this with friends

Recent Posts