Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

I put this in the debate section as I know that this may cause abit of a debate smile
BUT Im starting to get really cheesed off and wondering if anyone else has noticed how being green seems to becoming pretencious?
I’ll try to explain I have tried various groups with “green mummies” but find it all abit much… there seems to be a sudden upper classness in this way of thinking..

Am I the only one who does just what she can afford? Recycles where I can, buy second hand, re-wash/ re-use where I can and still allow morals to slip if finances can’t permit organic face cream luxuries?

Rant over…for now lol

Mummy to two lovely children one girl aged 9 and a boy aged 3 smile

I think there can be a tendency for ‘green’ to become competitive / expensive / exclusive / trendy too.

But it’s laughable really, because when I think of ‘green’ I think of my grandparents who were simply naturally frugal and thought about their resources. They didn’t waste, they couldn’t afford to and by making do and mending, growing food and preserving they led ‘green’ lives without it being a label. It just was!

Like you, I do what I can afford and make extra effort on the things I feel really passionately about. We’ve invested in a wood burner and a couple of small solar panels, we eat as much organic food as poss, but I still use a supermarket and drive a 4x4….

I think lots of people doing their bit with passion and integrity is the way to bring real change…

BUT if a celebrity wants to flaunt their green credentials and make it trendy, then to be honest, that can only be a good thing.. whatever it takes to drive home the message

I help your customers find you on Google. Website design | SEO | Social Media | PR | Author

“Internet marketing solutions that transform your online business”: http://gloucestershirewebdesigns.co.uk/

Connect with me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Raestrauss

Find me on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rachellestrauss

LETS member 35

I’m kind of unsure over whether it’s a good thing or not.

I like the fact that more and more people are trying to be green and that people are becoming more aware.  And it makes it easier to choose green options because they become more available.

But, I’m not liking the fact that I sometimes see companies trying to cash in on this.  Also, TREND-y is exactly that… a trend.  Which one day soon will be unfashionable.  Then we’ll all be “them weirdo’s” again.

Hebden Bridge is really pretentious.  It’s seen as being a really green hippie place, but when you live there you realise that most of the “hippies” are middle class teachers and social workers that drive 4x4s, or office workers that commute by rail to Leeds/Manchester.  It’s them who can afford to buy the organic veg, clothes and cleaning products etc. There are some very (hardcore) green people there though, mainly the boating community and artists, but they’re generally very self-sufficient.  The middle-class Southerners have bought all the houses so the teens that were brought up there are having to move out as it’s too expensive.  I had to move to the next town when I came off the boat.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, and I have nothing against Southerners!!  It’s just weird when you’re in a town in West Yorkshire and you feel like you’re the only Yorkshire person there.

ETA: Yes I only do what I can afford.  I suppose I’ve always been green because I’ve always been poor.  I try to re-use/recycle etc, but for example I often have to go for supermarket frozen food as it’s all I can afford.  But I wouldn’t spend £30 on a green organic natural facial exfoliator when I could just use baking soda!

Mama to our little pirate, Aug 2011

http://www.nappiesinthenorth.co.uk
Nappy Guru to Kirklees, Calderdale, Bradford and Burnley

LETS number 141

Sailor - 25 September 2011 04:27 PM

I’m kind of unsure over whether it’s a good thing or not.

I like the fact that more and more people are trying to be green and that people are becoming more aware.  And it makes it easier to choose green options because they become more available.

But, I’m not liking the fact that I sometimes see companies trying to cash in on this.  Also, TREND-y is exactly that… a trend.  Which one day soon will be unfashionable.  Then we’ll all be “them weirdo’s” again.

Hebden Bridge is really pretentious.  It’s seen as being a really green hippie place, but when you live there you realise that most of the “hippies” are middle class teachers and social workers that drive 4x4s, or office workers that commute by rail to Leeds/Manchester.  It’s them who can afford to buy the organic veg, clothes and cleaning products etc. There are some very (hardcore) green people there though, mainly the boating community and artists, but they’re generally very self-sufficient.  The middle-class Southerners have bought all the houses so the teens that were brought up there are having to move out as it’s too expensive.  I had to move to the next town when I came off the boat.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, and I have nothing against Southerners!!  It’s just weird when you’re in a town in West Yorkshire and you feel like you’re the only Yorkshire person there.

ETA: Yes I only do what I can afford.  I suppose I’ve always been green because I’ve always been poor.  I try to re-use/recycle etc, but for example I often have to go for supermarket frozen food as it’s all I can afford.  But I wouldn’t spend £30 on a green organic natural facial exfoliator when I could just use baking soda!

Sailor OMG you hit the nail on the head I was actually refering to the HB you speak of lol I remember years ago hippies, artists, musicians etc all lived in HB now it seems to be full of exactly what you said! BTW are you up this way? Fancy a meet up?

p.s I agree with both of you, being green to me means being frugal, its good for the planet and your pocket smile

I can´t be doing with any trend be it clothes, cars, the newest gadget etc etc as i do like to make my own decision as to what´s my style is, which car i want tp drive and which gadgets are needed for me!
Being green to me is NOT buying eco cleaners, eco makeup, eco clothes!!! Being green to me is to try and avoid buying things that can easily replaced by natural things ie baking soda and vinegar for cleaning, second hand clothes (not all of course!) , recycling, etc etc . using natural local food , not processed food (I seriously have not eaten anything processed in 3 years!!) , walking most ways instead of relying on the car. Living a frugal lifestyle just like our ancestors. But that doesn´t even need to be named “green”, to me it´s the lifestyle that should be normal to everyone.

Of course there is a place for eco cleaners (for example I would always choose ecover dishwasher tablets over conventional ones!) and I always choose the most naturalone i can afford. But i do not see the need to buy makeup or clothes that are ridiculously expensive just because they are green.

what a waffle LOL

German Mama to my sunshine**Jamie Lukas 12/08**

http://livingourlifesathome.blogspot.com/

Mmn a little stereotypical me thinks.  But then, as a middle class teacher who tries to be green….
I hate this type of post on here.  I find them offensive.  You don’t have to be poor to be green.  The main thing is surely, that people do what they can.

haha!  most teachers and social workers I know barely have two pennies to rub together!  I’m a teacher.  I try to be green.  Money has got nothing to do it with - of course there will always be those who buy into something because its trendy….but to suggest people are *less* green or their attempts at being green are somehow less *authentic* because they’ve got money?!  seriously?!

dotsie - 25 September 2011 07:18 PM

haha!  most teachers and social workers I know barely have two pennies to rub together!  I’m a teacher.  I try to be green.  Money has got nothing to do it with - of course there will always be those who buy into something because its trendy….but to suggest people are *less* green or their attempts at being green are somehow less *authentic* because they’ve got money?!  seriously?!

HI this is exactly why I dropped this into the debate section… Im a nurse so earn a higher than average wage however what I have noticed is that there appears to have become a “trend” in some areas where it’s become trendy to buy expensive clothing of a certain kind because it’s organic etc…

It’s like anything else, when something has a label there will always be competition, who’s-better-than-who, “that isn’t authentic” type talk.  It’s like AP groups, I would mostly avoid them (altho I consider myself to be an attached parent) because it can become very competitive/unauthentic/and darn right off putting the way some people stereotype and ruin it for the ones who are simply doing their best!

Muslim mum of four, home educating, environmental hypocrite (but doing my best) hodge podging through this life…..

ummsalam - 25 September 2011 07:29 PM

It’s like anything else, when something has a label there will always be competition, who’s-better-than-who, “that isn’t authentic” type talk.  It’s like AP groups, I would mostly avoid them (altho I consider myself to be an attached parent) because it can become very competitive/unauthentic/and darn right off putting the way some people stereotype and ruin it for the ones who are simply doing their best!

I agree smile

Lula103 - 25 September 2011 06:20 PM

Mmn a little stereotypical me thinks.  But then, as a middle class teacher who tries to be green….
I hate this type of post on here.  I find them offensive.  You don’t have to be poor to be green.  The main thing is surely, that people do what they can.

Lula try not to take it too personally, I may well be classed as someone who fits into the category too, I’m a SAHM who can afford to be because my husband earns a good wage, we lack for nothing materially (if we chose to buy it) and we are well aware of how blessed we are financially.  In that respect I do always feel a little uncomfortable when talking about “premium” organic products (I posted about Seasalt organic cotton clothes the other day which are lovely but expensive!), HOWEVER my choices to buy these clothes DO make an impact on my ungreen friends who would never consider the ethics or environmental impact of their shopping.  I regularly get chances to explain how, when I buy new, I choose to buy from companies which are trying to “tread lightly” on this earth, the contents of my bathroom cabinet are costly but pared down, the contents of my laundry/cleaning cupboard might speak more about our intended frugality where possible (soda crystals, bicarb, borax, eco-balls and vinegar).  I am working towards a “less is more”, “quality over quantity” approach, I do honestly believe that 3 kids outfits from Frugi/Kite Kids/Seasalt serve us better than a dozen outfits from Primark, my own wardrobe is much smaller than before and as I have made carefully considered choices I get more pleasure out of each item!  I do understand that there are people who buy these products and who carry on with their wasteful and unethical ways and I can understand the frustration with people who are doing it to fit in/because it’s trendy/to show off/etc.  I don’t think the OP was trying to upset those of us who have the same ethos (but a higher income), it was about those with a higher income who have not changed their underlying attitude.  “When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required.” (Luke 12 verse 48)  I wish more people took their responsibilities more seriously, like all you guys here do.

Diana

Diana… thankyou you saved me and got my point unfortunatly I dont get my point across clearly sometimes (dyslexic lol) ... I hate the competition in doing the most, I think it’s silly when people buy something from that shop (you know the one that you like sells all that green hippy type stuff you like (thats comments I have had).... or the What you dont buy your children organic bum creams and they drink normal milk….all that kind of thing mind you I dont have a competitive nature which I think is why things like this put me off!
I indulge in frugi (in the sale) organic veg from the local market (if where really skint it goes to the side…apart from the carrotts), we have two cars as we need them, I recycle just about everything but thats habit not for approval, and i agree I prefer quality over quantity smile Thanks again

I read this post yesterday but its had me thinking all evening…

I do see what you are saying, and to some extent I also agree that people quite often follow the masses and at the moment, Green products have come into the spotlight a little more. However, I always find it disheartening when I hear of people (and usually women I mjst admit) competeing over just how ethical they are, but I also feel saddened when we snuff at peoples efforts (even if they are just following trend or whatever) It seems to me that if we got rid of the ego in everything we did, we would better be able to hold hands with the hippy who is skint living on a tiny budget and the seemingly middle class proffesional hippy who can afford to buy expensive organic products. Any one, regardless of income, living their lives in this way all have the same motive, I suspect, to tread as lightly as we can on this earth that is not ours. Its important we all do what we can, but I do feel that often in needing to justify what we ‘can’ do, we feel there is a way in which we can actually do ‘better’ Im not saying thats what your post is about, you feeling that you need to justify yourself in any way, but I just find it all very hard work getting involved in the mindset that is competition. Even by being aware of others ‘competitiveness’ I guess we are partaking in it also, by passing judgement or thinking ‘but they earn x amount of money, how can they call them seleves hippies?’ Its a real shame actually. I say this as I sit at home, in a part time job I’d rathe rnot be doing, struggling to make ends meet at times, consiously choosing to live my life as authentically as I can manage, but I wouldnt for one minute assume that because someone is earning a whole lot more than me and they can afford to buy luxury organic items that they do not have the same intent as me. Instead of the luxury organic lovely prodcuts and clothes that are around, we buy second hand and use hand made. But if I had more money, who’s to say I wouldnt spend it on all those lovely things- they are still completely in line with my ethics.

Ive gone on a bit of a ramble now…I guess essentially what Im trying to get at is if we could ALL, myself included, try to be a little less judgemental and a little more embracing, we would be able to see the beauty in how ‘trendy’ or not it is to care for this Earth. It nurtures us in a way we cant even begin to explain, so we should, regardless of budgets or agendas, do our vest best to do the same for her.

There we go, Im off my soap box now! x

Lula103 - 25 September 2011 06:20 PM

I don’t mean to be offensive.  It’s good when people try do what they can for the environment, and yes I agree you don’t need to be poor.  Me and Crazyaboutmoo are talking from experience of Hebden Bridge, where so many people have moved in because of the creative hippie image it has, and seem to join in on the surface and they do compete and exaggerate to be part of the image, but then live very un-green lifestyles eg by driving 4x4s (when there’s only one of them in it), go on lots of holidays. etc.
It is hard not to stereotype here though as Hebden Bridge is the town full of stereotypes and extremists, and the facilities seem to be aimed more at the tourists.  I now live in Todmorden, which is seen as being a mixture of chavvy and inbred, but I find it a lot more open minded and accepting, and it is becoming very green as it’s aiming to become self sufficient in food by 2018, yet the people don’t play up to the image.  It seems a lot more down to earth.

Mama to our little pirate, Aug 2011

http://www.nappiesinthenorth.co.uk
Nappy Guru to Kirklees, Calderdale, Bradford and Burnley

LETS number 141

I don’t think we can judge people on the basis of the products we see them buy. On the outside we are a fairly middle-class family, and yes, I buy organic meat and some “green” cleaning products. I make sacrifices in other areas to be able to afford them, because I think that ethical meat is really important, and, quite frankly, at 6 months pregnant with a toddler around, I don’t have the time or energy to be cleaning windows with vinegar and newspaper. We have been very lucky to have just moved in to a newly redecorated rented property - I want to keep it nice, and I wouldn’t be able to do that right now of it took any more effort than I currently expend.

I would hate to be seen as “token green” or following a trend - I make conscious decisions about the products we buy and the way we live. If that is seen from the outside as being “trendy”, then people have clearly never seen me trying to extend Grace’s dresses so that they fit her a bit longer, or stretching that trendy pack of organic mince to do 4 meals! It really does all come back to walking a mile in another’s shoes before judging them…..

ETA: we also never know where a person has come *from*. maybe they are still driving a 4x4, but until recently were going on 6 foreign holidays a year. Any progress is good progress isn’t it?

Angie

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WashedUpFamily Sea Glass Jewellery from the beautiful South Coast[/color]

http://washedupfamily.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NannieCool , http://nanniecool.yolasite.com Nannie Cool - for beautiful slings, playsilks, toys, nappy wraps and accessories made by Grace’s Nannie. All designs are “Approved by Grace”

http://bournemouthattachmentparents.blogspot.com/

Share this with friends

Recent Posts