Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

we currently boycott nestle, procter and gamble and mr. tesco/ asda but i would be interested to know about other companies that people know are bad and likns to any info about these companies so i can educate myself and then boycott them too.
thankyou x

http://thegannersblog.blogspot.com/  our ‘larger’ family blog!!

Unilever, GlaxoSmithKline, Boots and numerous others. Basically all the big pharmaceuticals and corporate nasties. I avoid all the big supermarket brands like the plague.
We try to only buy from small, ethical UK-based companies (easier said than done but we do actively try!) If you predominantly make your own food from scratch, grow your own veg, buy 2nd hand clothing/toys etc you can definitely avoid loads of popular high street shops and brands.
Have a look at Ethical Consumer’s website for loads of helpful information about boycotts
http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/boycotts.aspx

Sam x

sjpereira - 30 April 2012 07:11 PM

Unilever, GlaxoSmithKline, Boots and numerous others. Basically all the big pharmaceuticals and corporate nasties. I avoid all the big supermarket brands like the plague.
We try to only buy from small, ethical UK-based companies (easier said than done but we do actively try!) If you predominantly make your own food from scratch, grow your own veg, buy 2nd hand clothing/toys etc you can definitely avoid loads of popular high street shops and brands.
Have a look at Ethical Consumer’s website for loads of helpful information about boycotts
http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/boycotts.aspx

Sam x

I always learn something when I read about these boycotts and have avoided Nestle as best as possible for years. We also try to buy locally and avoid the big companies, more to ensure that local companies get our money and that our food comes from a more local source. I also understand why people avoid Unilever or P & G, but I am genuinely interested to know why people boycott pharmaceutical companies that make life saving drugs.

I am very aware that their testing does involve animals and that their advertising is not always the most ‘ethical’, however, I know that if my children were ill and my usual homeopathic or dietary remedies don’t work, I want to know that there is a medicine out there that will help them and couldn’t put my principles over their health and well being.

I would be interested to learn more about why people avoid these companies.

Primark?  They keep saying that they have improved working conditions, but it’s difficult to believe. 

I would also question boycotting GSK et al.  I would love to see ethically produced medications.  I will only buy cosmetics that are free from animal testing and try to buy cosmetics produced in the UK.  I’m not sure how we get around animal testing for medication.  You can’t treat everything with homeopathy.  It doesn’t do bone marrow transplants.  It doesn’t remove tumours.  And both of those procedures require drugs.  We do need them to have a more open policy on how the produce and test their medication. 

I have some clothing companies I aviod.  But if they are selling off stock at cost price to clear stock, I do sometimes bend this.  I know that these clothes may end up in landfill, so I’d rather give a home to something I like that would otherwise end up as waste.

Asda is somewhere I avoid.  They are horrid to their staff in the UK, let alone where their other products come from. 

I have contacted some local companies in the past if I have tried to use them and found them unhelpful or poor quality.  I try to give feedback and tell them that I will try them again in 6 months.  I won’t someone local just because they are local.  They have to provide a good service.

we avoid asda as they are owned by walmart and have the worst policies for treating their staff in the world.
out of the big names

We have a huge Tesco here - which I boycott to the derision of most of my colleagues!

I find that by shopping at the veg market and in my local health/whole food shop (which is the best shop in the whole world!) I can effectively avoid all nasty people, and support local suppliers/shopkeepers at the same time smile

Trying to do everything - failing madly!

Being constantly & lovingly educated by daughter Freya, 19 cheese

akaekb - 01 May 2012 06:14 AM

Primark?  They keep saying that they have improved working conditions, but it’s difficult to believe. 

I would also question boycotting GSK et al.  I would love to see ethically produced medications.  I will only buy cosmetics that are free from animal testing and try to buy cosmetics produced in the UK.  I’m not sure how we get around animal testing for medication.  You can’t treat everything with homeopathy.  It doesn’t do bone marrow transplants.  It doesn’t remove tumours.  And both of those procedures require drugs.  We do need them to have a more open policy on how the produce and test their medication. 

Regarding GSK, I was thinking more along the lines of their so called “nutritional products” such as Lucozade, Ribena etc that are actually very damaging to one’s health in terms of the amount of sugar. Particularly Ribena which is often marketed as a children’s product but dentists loathe it as it causes terrible tooth decay.

As far as things like bone marrow transplants and tumour removal are concerned, they are procedures carried out by highly skilled surgeons. I am not sure of how that is linked to pharmaceutical products unless you are referring to things like anaesthesia and post-operative pain relief?
I absolutely agree that there are cases when drugs and surgical procedures can and do save lives; what irks me is the way we live in an over-medicated society where anti-biotics are over-prescribed, because a large percentage of a GP’s salary is linked to commissions from drug companies.
I also dislike the way pharmaceutical companies are muscling in with their vaccines in third world countries in order to make even more money than they already do. It seems completely wrong to me when what so many people actually need are clean water and proper sanitation to become healthy in the long term - something that charities such as Water Aid are working tirelessly to provide, they do amazing work. But of course, that doesn’t make money for pharmaceuticals, so they are not prepared to invest in such simple life saving things as taps and toilets. Sigh.

Anyway, off my soap box now!

Sam x

arwen - 30 April 2012 08:03 PM

I am very aware that their testing does involve animals and that their advertising is not always the most ‘ethical’, however, I know that if my children were ill and my usual homeopathic or dietary remedies don’t work, I want to know that there is a medicine out there that will help them and couldn’t put my principles over their health and well being.

I agree with this completely, and in all honesty I think there are not many people who are against these companies for whatever reasons (animal testing, employer rights, etc, etc) who would refuse to accept a medical treatment for the most severe illnesses and conditions where there is no alternative.

That’s not to say the issues aren’t important, they are, but there are other ways to express objection and take action than just an outright boycott, because an outright boycott would also mean you would refuse such medication. If there were alternatives for things like cancer treatment available, or being tested in a successful way then things might change, but I would not refuse it for me and my family.

On other ethical issues, it’s a huge can of worms once you open it. I have my own ideals, which will differ from others, where I feel moved to act then I look into what I can do but as an individual there is little effect to most of these companies. Action will only have an effect and bring about change if it is a collective community effort.

@sam, the GP thing is a thing of the past, most GP’s will now perscribe generic products rather than branded ones as they get bonuses for saving the NHS money and not adhearing to deals with drugs reps.
GSK are a terrible company but they do provide life saving drug combinations for HIV sufferrs and cancer treatments.
While I am all for alternative remedes and not over medicating, I do not believe homeopathy, diet, herbal meds etc will cure all cancers.
I will use products from these comanies for my patients and in the case of a very poorly child help parents choose treatments.
These companies do have terrible methods for testing *some* of their products but pharmaceutical companies do some good too, i think to boycott these totally is irrational.

Bit unsure about the boycott of the welsh dairy.  I understand that it is horrible & horrific to trap & kill badgers but these badgers are sick & are spreading disease.  By trapping & testing badgers, releasing the tb free badgers (& I would hope they have a breeding program in place too), it can only be good for badgers, deer & cattle in the long run.  If a cow contracts TB, it has to be destroyed immediately.  The farmer gets no monetary compensation for that cow but what the vast majority of people don’t realise is that the meat from that cow is still sold as food (T value mince anyone????).  Surely boycotting the small farmer doesn’t help anyone, human or animal.

mom to 2 girls age 8 & 3

http://imgur.com/gallery/k0pv0
thought this image was interesting and relevant to the discussion here…it been doing the round on FB..i presume its accurate..it seems to show what i’ve known for a long time..that everything is owned by a few biggies!
mummyk x

happy mummy at last to DD born March 2006..and DS born sept 2007..wonderful fabulous gifts. living as green as possible but always striving to be better!home edding and loving it!

LETS no 116

The last I heard (and bear in mind I havent researched this for a bit) there was no actual proof that the badgers were trasmitting TB and that badger culling hadn’t improved the TB stats in places where it was used, suggesting the badgers were unrelated. Has that changed now?

Previously Teenageearthmummy

Homeschooling mama to BB - 7!! and 5 angels in heaven * * * * *
http://www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

@mummyk.
Thanks for that image. I was shocked at just how many sub companies that are nothing to do with their remit ir P and G owning lacoste.
It just shows that karl marx was probably correct and we will never be truly free from the rein of the bourgoise.

Interesting diagram mummyk.  I think (in the back of mind) I was aware of this.  I tend to avoid branded goods, I notice that the only ‘brand’ I have bought from the diagram in a long long time is a Hellmans product, jar of mayo when I could not get the supermarket (co-op) own brand.  I think the message should be buy products made by small producers or the from the (small) producer themselves.

I think where the water becomes murky as it were is over supermarket own brand products.  I visited a Gerber factory in Somerset years ago.  They make fruit juices for several brands including Ocean Spray and most if not all of the supermarket own brands, that company is now of course owned by Nestle…...........

ETA Looking at the diagram posted by mummyk Ocean Spray brand is owned by Pepsico but their juice is made under licence by Gerber owned by Nestle.  It is a mine field!

It depends what your ethics are really.  Do you boycott for health reasons, workers ethics, political reasons etc?

i boycott all (well try to anyway!) companies that support the illegal occupation of Palestine and destruction of homes and livelihood.  the list is so long but the main offenders are:

Marks and Spencers
Proctor and Gamble
GSK
Estee Lauder
Tommy hilfiger
Clinique
Disney
Sainsburys
Coca Cola

i obviously try to buy ethically and avoid companies that use animal testing.

Muslim mum of four, home educating, environmental hypocrite (but doing my best) hodge podging through this life…..

Share this with friends

Recent Posts