Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

I’m a bit confused and thought you lovely people might be able to help.

Is it safe to take ibuprofen while breastfeeding?

When I had dd1 and dd2 I was definitely told I couldn’t take it while bf, and I thought it was the same this time round, but a friend of mine who has just given birth told me she had been told to take it if needed in her recovery, and that it was fine for bf, so I googled and it appears nhs are now saying it is safe, which then confused me, as:

1. how can they change its safety in such a short time (my oldest dd is only just 4)

2. How can it be safe to take in the 1st 3 months if it’s not safe to give the baby ibuprofen until 3 months?

Just a bit confused. I’m not one to take painkillers regularly, so when I do take them I really need them, but I’m still unsure weather to take ibuprofen while bf my 10m old.
Sorry for the babble x

Mummy to 4 little pixies: Seren (feb 08), Merri (may 09), Nerys (june 11) & Lyra (April 13)

http://www.crystals-and-ice.co.uk/ My sister’s amazing bead shop

I have no definitive answer for you - however you CAN take paracetomal whilst you’re pregnant but not Ibuprofen, so that would be my first choice. I also think that in case of birth recovery you may well be told to take what it takes - I had a CS with my first and I was definitely taking stronger painkillers (diclofenac?) in the first week or so whilst breastfeeding (but then I did have to walk a mile along a mountain path to get home - carrying a baby and feeling like I’d been cut in half!!!)

? We must live with hearts wide open, hearts wildly open ?

Wild glamping in the mountains of southern Spain ... http://wildsierraglamping.simpl.com/

NSAIDs (Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), which is the family of drugs to which Ibuprofen belongs, are not safe in pregnancy until the kidneys are formed, but most people won’t prescribe till after birth.  They are safe when breastfeeding and have a long history of being taken while breastfeeding.  Many people are offered Diclofenic (aka Voltorol) immediately post labour.  This is another NSAIDs. 

NSAIDs takend over a long period can damage the stomach (yours, not your babies.  Its the direct contact).  If you are regularly on them for more than a few weeks, you should be prescribed something to line your stomach to protect it from ulcers.

If you take paracetamol with NSAIDs, many people find they are both more effective.  Paracetamol is a wonder drug.  It enhances the affect of other painkillers, most notably, opiates. That’s why, if you are unlucky enough to need morphine, you will often be given paracetamol.

I liked pain control and getting it right when I was a nurse.  Can you tell?

Thanks for your replies ladies.

I am starting to suspect that my midwives and gps when I had my dds did not have the correct information to give me, as my research now, and and what you have said, akaekb, suggests they have been seen as safe for a while. Makes me a little bit sad that I was not given up to date info as I could definitely have had a much easier time post birth in all three cases with ibuprofen (spd pain that took 6 months to go the first time - paracetamol never touched it). And might have helped with the nasty fluey style cold I’m trying to shake now!

Interesting to hear that about paracetamol enhancing other painkillers, it makes sense as they definitely seem more effective to me together.

Mummy to 4 little pixies: Seren (feb 08), Merri (may 09), Nerys (june 11) & Lyra (April 13)

http://www.crystals-and-ice.co.uk/ My sister’s amazing bead shop

Following the birth of my 5th the midwives recommended taking paracetamol WITH Ibroprofen. I tried it because the after pains were shocking & I must admit paracetamol alone does absolutely nothing for me but together was brilliant. That mix has been recommended to me by a Dr since too. I’m reluctant to take anything unless I feel I really need it. That guidance has changed between babies, it was not recommended with my other children - but then the guidance on how much tuna (if any!) is allowed during pregnancy seems to change with each of my pregnancies too LOL

Daughter age 11
Three sons age 10, 7 & 5
Baby girl age 3

I had a c-section 2 1/2 weeks ago and I was given morphine immediately after the op and then paracetemol with ibuprofen afterwards while breastfeeding. I was sent home with 2wks worth of ibuprofen and I bought paracetemol too. I am now trying to cut down on both lots of painkillers but i keep over doing things and then feeling like I need to up the dose again. x x

My understanding (and this may not be correct) is that most if not all medication given during pregnancy and when breastfeeding is not actually tested for this group, probably as it is not possible to put together a control group.  Any advice that is therefore given is based on evidence of their being few if any side effects as a result of taking it.  This may explain why the information changes as it will take longer to gain the evidence required.

Hello. Today I would like to ask, what do you think about breastfeeding ibuprofen ?. What do you think?
motherhow.com/ibuprofen-breastfeeding

Share this with friends

Recent Posts