Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

I have a sakura bloom RS that my lovely friend bought me. It says it lasts til todderhood but I was just wondering whether it really will (Stretchy wraps tend to suggest this too but I have heard that they’re not really supportive for heavier babies/children).

How much more supportive is a woven wrap to a linen one? I love my SB (ds2 is in it as I type!) and would love to use it long term.

I also have a Moby stretchy wrap which we also use a lot but it tends to stretch/come loose which means I have to keep tightening it and can’t imagine that would be easy with a heavy baby in it.

I found that I could not carry my children for long in a ring sling once they got older and heavier,  I tended to use them for short trips out.  I moved over to a woven wrap for longer periods of use,  I still use both (the woven wrap more often) for my youngest who is nearly three,

Skye-Blu - 14 May 2012 10:39 AM

I have a sakura bloom RS that my lovely friend bought me. It says it lasts til todderhood but I was just wondering whether it really will (Stretchy wraps tend to suggest this too but I have heard that they’re not really supportive for heavier babies/children).

In this case yes, it will last well into toddlerhood (and beyond). But it is a one-shoulder sling, and most people find one shoulder slings fine to use for long periods with young/light babies, but once they get bigger they tend to be more for short carries ie 20-40mins like nipping in to the shops

Linen and silk are very supportive fabrics. SB do single and double layer silk or Linen RS’s, the double layer is more more supportive than a single layer.

How much more supportive is a woven wrap to a linen one? I love my SB (ds2 is in it as I type!) and would love to use it long term.

You can’t really compare a woven wrap to a RS as they’re different types of slings.
Woven Wraps also come in a range of materials ie cotton, linen, silk, hemp, bamboo and different weaves, so some are more toddler friendly than others

A sling that you can wear over both shoulders (wrap, Mei Tai, Soft-structured carrier), is always going to be more supportive than a 1-shoulder sling (RS, pouch)

I also have a Moby stretchy wrap which we also use a lot but it tends to stretch/come loose which means I have to keep tightening it and can’t imagine that would be easy with a heavy baby in it.

Most people find they need something more supportive than a Stretchy once bubs is around 15-20lb. And it’s not recommended to do back carries in a Stretchy either. Most people switch to back carries with older babies/toddlers+

Share this with friends

Recent Posts