Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

I have always been a big time baby wearer and got rid of all 13 of my slings after my four yr old just refused to be in one.  Now I am pregnant again for the fourth time (7 months), I have found an old ring sling that escaped but feel the need to bolster this mediocre collection smile  But what to buy?  I was always too impatient with yards and yards of fabric with my long wraps (didys mostly) and really ended up using ring slings constantly.  They were just so easy and useful and quick.  For ling treks my dh would wear a backpack type that I never got along with (squashed breasts).  I never much used my mei tais and found stretchy wraps, just too bouncy….. saying that I have never tried a pouch ( they seemed a but hit or miss size wise) I would really like something snug and cosy for my newborn, but am not sure what to get.  I don’t mind it being something I sell on after a couple of months of not suitable for a heavier baby.  I am sure I’ll buy another ring sling (advice on which?) and something else….. Advice please!  What have you used and enjoyed in the early days?  What would you use next time?

hAve you seen the diddy mai ties ! ooooooo they look good. I would love one but new baby hates being in a sling !

when life gives you a rainy day play in the puddles !!!
mum to 4 sons 13,7,4 and 2
a daughter 8 years ,
and always in my heart my angel xx

forgot to say diddy mos make them have a look on there site

when life gives you a rainy day play in the puddles !!!
mum to 4 sons 13,7,4 and 2
a daughter 8 years ,
and always in my heart my angel xx

I’ld recommend going to a slingmeet, slinglibrary or similar and try a few on.

I’ld recommend going to a slingmeet, slinglibrary or similar and try a few on. There’s a few new brands that have come on the market that you might be interested in

mamauk - 04 June 2012 08:20 PM

What have you used and enjoyed in the early days?  What would you use next time?

For me, my absolute fav in the early days are Woven Wraps
I have several in different sizes-short, mid and long and found them all great with newborns for different reasons/carries
Shorties are great for Rucks, Kangaroo’s, Rebozo’s and no-sew ring sling
Mid lengths are great for above with longer tails, and double layer carries like FCC, hip carries and other back carries like Jordan’s back carry
Longs for FWCC/PWCC, and newborn back carries (I prefer to do multi-layer carries for these so Double Hammock, reinforced ruck tied tibetan are my fav)

If I had to choose 1 only, I’ld go for a long, as I could “shorten” it for other carries like rebozo

As for brands, for a long Vatanai or Didy silk waves, for a short Didy cashmere or Girasol are my fav. But any well broken in woven will be nice and soft and cushdy for newborns
There’s loads of blends I haven’t tried but am interested eg Alpaca, bamboo

mamauk - 04 June 2012 08:20 PM

I am sure I’ll buy another ring sling (advice on which?) and something else….. Advice please!

Ring Slings made out of woven fabric are really great eg Storchenwiege, Didysling, Hoppediz etc, I also like Sakura Bloom
Pouches never really appealed as I like the versatility of a RS or shortie wrap, and the tails can always be wrapped around the rings/knot

I never found stretchy wraps very bouncy as long as I didn’t use them when baby was too heavy, so I’d have to say a stretchy wrap for comfort. Now I like woven wraps. Don’t really like one-shouldered things, make me feel off balanced!

I was going to add that a stretchy wrap might be too hot for having a baby this time of year, but then I was 7 months pregnant this time last year! So it worked for us smile

I loved a rs to begin with, but dd is such a leg straightener that it got annoying tucking her back in.  A wrap was better when she was in that mood, however it is still great kept in the car for quick carries.  A stretchy is easiest to wrap with and is very comfy, but I still tend to go for whatever woven I fancy that day, depending on colour!  Stretchies are a bit boring! I would buy whatever didy (or natibaby or oscha) is released in the month the baby is born and then you can keep it as a legacy wrap.

I do love to wrap but I have to say a rs is soooo easy and with a littlie I think just perect all scrunched up tummy to tummy smile I did love a stretchy for very early days tho, just tie in the morning and take him out for feed/change then snuggle back in awww such sweet sling memories! Maybe a mei tai? I think they’re comfier than ssc but just as quick and easy for long carries/back carries if you don’t want to wrap. Enjoy your sling shopping xx

Ring sling for me, with both mine from newborn for a few months until getting heavy, then I moved onto a woven.

Thanks!  So good to get some feedback.  I think my dh thinks I am mad for agonising over what to get this time around.  He is all, but this is our FOURTH!  And anyway don’t we have like a million slings? 

I sold my long woven didy and the stretchy long wrap I had…..

I am leaning towards two at the moment, a sakura bloom pure linen rs and also a shorter cashmere didy smile  But I don’t want to go too short, my C cup breasts are already like an E or somehthing crazy and I figure they have a bit of growing to do yet… smile

I have a sakura bloom linen RS which I LOVE! When he was newborn it was perfect all scrunched up in a little ball in there. He’s now nearly 8 weeks old and it seems to be pulling my back quite a bit but I’m not sure why. I’m seeing the sling library lady next week so I’m going to take it with me and see if I need to tweak the position now he’s heavier (he must be 11 or 12lbs by now I’d have thought).

I also have a Moby stretchy wrap which was fab when he was tiny and i still love it now around the house - but when I’m pacing it out to school then I agree that it’s rather bouncy and I end up supporting him with my hands which then makes my back ache! So when I go to the sling library I’m going to see if I can borrow a mei tai or other close carrier for a week or two and see how they are.

I do feel I’m getting obsessed with slings and I can see why people collect so many of them. I love them!  Have fun choosing!  x x x x

Share this with friends

Recent Posts