Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Sometimes I’d love him to go in the pram or nap in the bed…. he’s really heavy and I’m really tired!  Is this ever achievable with a baby worn cosleeping baby?!He’s 8 weeks old.

Nancy x

Mum to Rudy (2005), Sid (2006) and Vincent (2012)
Trying my hardest to raise kind, loving and helpful boys.

Do you ever use the pram? Or is he exclusively carried?  I use slings and we co-sleep with my 8 week old too but we also use a pram, and a swing and he sleeps on the floor too. He generally likes to sleep in the sling but I have managed to put him in the swing for daytime naps too - although he only cat naps in there - he has big long sleeps in the sling. If we’re out and about in the pram he does sleep in there too but only when we’re moving. Once we stop (ie in a shop to look at something) he wakes up so shopping is easier if he’s in the sling (except if I need to try clothes on!!)

Hello Nancy,

Have you put him down in the pram say in the kitchen when you are cooking or doing just general business? I think that is what we did with G and then he would fall asleep. I can’t believe I can’t remember what we really did when it wasn’t that long ago.

I hope you get some better answers than mine.

Nancy - 12 June 2012 03:39 PM

Sometimes I’d love him to go in the pram or nap in the bed…. he’s really heavy and I’m really tired!  Is this ever achievable with a baby worn cosleeping baby?!He’s 8 weeks old.

Nancy x

Have you tried co-napping? That way you can get a rest too (assuming you don’t have older kids too)

Have you tried back carries? They’re less strain on you than front carries. You can do them from birth with a Woven Wrap or Mei Tai

I think back carries with babies who don’t have great head and neck control are generally only recommended for ‘experienced’ baby wearers. I know I wouldn’t have felt comfortable having my baby on my back until he was about 6 months, even if he had good head control from a long time before!
When he’s all warm from being in the sling, could you not lower him into the bed on the wrap or carrier you are using, so he is still curled up in the warmth of it (rather than taking him out of a carrier and putting him on the bed?) Then he might stay asleep there and you can get a bit done?
Otherwise I second trying to get him a bit more used to his pram? I know this is easier said than done, whether you babywear or not - they’re far happier being carried! And we didn’t get a pram until baby was nearly 5 months old so didn’t need a carrycot bit on it, but we had a moses basket to put him down, and once he got to 8 weeks he wasn’t that happy about being put in it and we started co-sleeping full-time from then!

the-libran - 13 June 2012 06:11 AM

When he’s all warm from being in the sling, could you not lower him into the bed on the wrap or carrier you are using, so he is still curled up in the warmth of it (rather than taking him out of a carrier and putting him on the bed?) Then he might stay asleep there and you can get a bit done?

I’ve tried this and my little one stays asleep for about 5 minutes before he realises he’s not attached to mummy anymore!! The swing I have found to be the best to put him into once he’s asleep in the sling because of the motion - it keeps him asleep….but still not as long as in the sling or wrap, but it normally gives me half an hour or so to whizz around getting things done that I can’t do while he’s in the sling (like bending to clear floor of toys etc). They just love their mamas that’s what it is. x

Thank you for all the replies. 

I gave up with the pram at about 3 weeks, he would just cry and cry and I would get upset.  I’ve got two older boys both at school so I tried it for the school run which was very stressful.  I should’ve explained that he’s a very windy and gassy baby, so laying down has been a problem for him - it’s starting to get a bit better now though so maybe I should try the pram again.  I took the carrycot part off and put it away to stop myself from stressing about the fact that I should be using it!

I’ve just got home from a car journey and he was asleep in the car seat for about 5 minutes once we came in - he’s back in the sling now fast asleep!

I have tried co-napping, i’ll often take him out of the sling and lay him on my chest so he’ll carry on sleeping.  That just doesn’t get the houswork done though!  Not that I’m a clean freak by any means but it would be good to be able to see the floor wink

Maybe I just need to ride it out until he’s 12 weeks, hope the windy/colic is under control and try again with the pram.  When I’ve got a bit more adept at the whole sling thing maybe i’ll invest in a Mei Tai or a woven wrap for when he’s a bit older.

It’s reassuring just to know it’s not just us.  I’m the only full time baby wearing co-sleeping parent that I know which often leaves me feeling like I’m getting it all wrong.

Thanks again

N x

I was the only babywearing co-sleeping parent I knew before I joined this forum!

Oh, it’s most definitely not just you, Nancy grin .  I didn’t have two older ones, but with my daughter, it was almost a year before we could lay her down on her own and leave her there while we got on with other things.  We didn’t have a pram, but we did have a swing handed down to us from her cousins, and she absolutely refused to sleep in it—she liked it well enough to just sit in and watch us, but only for up to 15 or 20 minutes, and then she wanted to be carried again.  Mostly, one of us would wear her in the sling, or I would nurse her to sleep and let her sleep on my chest while I worked on my laptop.  Gradually I got to the point where I could nurse her to sleep and then just lay her down next to me (I think mostly what changed was that she got bigger and it was less comfortable for her to be curled up on my chest for hours!), but it took ages and ages to get to that point, and even then, I still had to stay next to her or she’d wake up.  We even ate our meals in the bedroom (I know, I know!).  Lots of people thought we were mad, and perhaps there *were* things we could/should have done differently, but honestly, it was just easier to do what she wanted and I never believed it was doing her any harm.  She’s 3 now and though we still co-sleep, I can leave her in the bed on her own during naptime and she sleeps fine, or I can come back downstairs after putting her to bed for the night and then go back up later when I’m ready to sleep.  There were times, though, when I thought we would never reach this stage.

Hi Nancy, My little Ella is also carried and co-sleeps but in the last few weeks I have been able to put her in the swing chair with womb sounds playing and a dummy and she has had a good nap - she is 10 weeks now. They are all different though and have their preferences of where they like to sleep. Have you tried swaddling or anything else that might comfort and be the next best thing to sleeping on Mama?  Good luck xxx

Home-Edding, BFing, Co-sleeping, Carrying & Cloth-nappying Gentle Mama to Lovely Leo (Apr 07) and Beautiful Ella (Mar 12)

Well we had a pretty good morning, infact the first half on the night was good too.  I swaddled him and put him down in his co-sleeper cot right next to me, he stayed there till 1am.  I figure this gives him a bit of practise at sleeping on his back.  This morning I put him in the sling for the school run and then transfered him into his carseat when I got home and we drove into town, from there he went on the buggy base (in car seat) around the the shops, then back into the car and stayed asleep the whole time until his next feed at 11.30.  I’m going to keep trying different ways, I might even get the pram out again and see if I can transfer him into that once he’s fallen asleep in the sling.  It would be great if he could be flexible… but that said I’m happy carrying him (most of the time!).

Thank you. x

My Roo is nearly 2 now and from about 4 months old I used to take her out for a “fresh air” walk every day as soon as I felt I’d seen a tired cue from her. I’ve worn her since birth and still do on and off when she needs it (she’s an independent little monkey, Leosmummy will testify!) but as soon as she shows a sign of tiredness, for her it’s rubbing eyes or a yawn she’s into the buggy and out for a walk and more often than not she’ll be asleep in no time. Not that she doesn’t fight it at times (strong-willed and stubborn like mummy!), but we both know she’s tired and she can sleep for anything up to and just over three hours even now!

Good luck Mama xxx
P.S. While I think of it, Roo didn’t like being in a carry cot or moses basket as she found it too vacuous. I rolled up (and under) the edges of a blanket to bring the carrycot sides closer in to her and it worked, she slept like a baby(!)

Adventures of a Little Roo

Waterbirthed/cloth-bottomed/semi-BLW/co-sleeping/breastfeeding/wrap-loving tired and cranky Mama to my babies’ guardian angel Jaia (25/6/03 RIP), my gorgeous preemie Jakeybear (4/05) and munchable Little Roo (8/10)

They love you, relax into that

Share this with friends

Recent Posts