Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Sooooo-as I sit here watching the opening ceremony what do people think?

Waste of money?
Fabulous sporting event?

We will be watching aspects from a once in lifetime perspective…...we did apply for tickets but like most that applied for the ‘pay your age’ we didn’t get any…..

Starring members of the Cast:
Sebastian (2004), Felicity (2006), Tristan (2008)

Home educating, thought provoking parenting, healthy eating trying to be locavores- but following our own way

AND finally admitting to having a blog http://owngrown.blogspot.com

Didn’t watch it as there was a great documentary on another channel about Snowdonia, and especially the lives of three men there, a sheep farmer, a poet/writer, and a Forest ranger. Such a challenging existence lived by the farmer but he had a fabulous sense of humour smile
Back to the Olympics - we didn’t apply for tickets - prefer to use our money for other things, probably won’t watch any of the events on tv either.
Each to their own though smile

Becks xx

I think at the end of the day, its fun, and as someone who is more into athletics than team sports (just because that’s what I’m better at really), I can’t pretend I won’t be watching a bit, if I get round to it.

However I do have an enormous problem with this notion that sport should be about excellence, about doing your best and bringing glory to your nation (city, school, whatever) rather than having fun and exercising. Like a lot of areas, we’ve had a few improvements to our town over the years due to the Olympics or with an eye on the Olympic bid, and it infuriates me that this, not the right of kids and adults to have decent recreational sporting facilities, is what people use to justify, say, building a pool with a proper deep end. Its upside down thinking. Sport, music, and so many other things seem to be about a few great people at the top, and the rest of us goggling on tv, not spreading the enjoyment of sport through society.

And the coca cola and macdonalds sponsorship is just appalling. Saw a great t shirt the other day with ronald macdonald watering flowers with oil and leaving the olympic rings in his trail.

Edith - 28 July 2012 06:20 AM

And the coca cola and macdonalds sponsorship is just appalling. Saw a great t shirt the other day with ronald macdonald watering flowers with oil and leaving the olympic rings in his trail.

You are so so right.. jamie got some baloons in asda yesterday and then i look at them and it says mc donalds.. I boykott the place so was shocked they would be sponsoring the OLYMPICS! It’s just such a wrong message..

German Mama to my sunshine**Jamie Lukas 12/08**

http://livingourlifesathome.blogspot.com/

I wasn’t bothered then about an hour before dh and I suddenly got the urge to watch the opening ceremony and I loved it.  I love the respect it gave to groups of people through the ages, points it raised and the choreography, I actually cried during it lo, I never normally do that!!

Overall I think the awareness it brings to sport and the events that go along side, like events at local sports centres and sports clubs are great.

I love that I heard the Queen say ‘Hello Mr Bond’ and the sequence that followed was inspired smile

I was sad that the pixies were in bed so didn’t see it, and to be honest they are a little small but we will be watching it occasionally.

sarie

Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents,
it was loaned to you by your children.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
we borrow it from our Children.

LETS number 64

I have been in two minds about it since London won the bid.  Part of me really wanted to go and be part of it as it is very unlikely to come to the UK again in my or my children’s lifetimes.  The other part thought that London is too busy for me when the Olympics is not on, could not face that amount of people.  We thought about going to an event somewhere else, but when we considered the cost of the tickets, somewhere to stay etc it would have had to have been our holiday for the year.  My folks live close enough to London that we could stay with them. 

We do not have a TV so will not be watching.  We live up North so I have never felt part of the build up either.  I would like to think that the legacy that the original bid intended will continue but I am yet to be convinced.

We ended up watching it.  The best bit by far was the James Bond bit, but what made it even better was that DS3 said that he thought the queen would turn around with a corgi on her lap stroking it and saying “So we meet again Mr Bond” in a German accent!

Overall I was impressed, not sure I would have known what was going on at the beginning without the commentary, but the cauldron was spectacular.  Shame about Paul McCartney, he really ought to think about retiring!

I didn’t watch it, as we don’t have a TV, but followed it along on Twitter, which was quite entertaining.  But I have so many reasons for not welcoming it - the sponsorship by companies which fuel the obesity crisis, the elitism, the sheer amount of money spent worldwide on professional sports, including broadcasting, the branding and marketing, the media frenzy, the annoying commentators, and the ethos, which has changed hugely over the years.  Could go on, but beginning to sound like the grumpy old woman that I am. ????

I may be in the minority on here, but I think it’s time the country put aside the moans and groans of the cost, and all the other gripes and just embraced a worldwide event that the country will not see again for many many years, probably not in my lifetime. I don’t agree with many of the advertisers, sponsors, etc but you know I can just ignore that side of things, I cannot affect it except to not buy into it and that is the choice I make.

I loved the ceremony, thought it was very innovative, creative and a good reflection on how the country developed, things to be proud of rather than always finding the things to knock the country for (yes it’s not perfect but where is and it’s far better than some places). Really if people didn’t like it, then they must have some deep seated something about how Britain is, there may be more important things in their lives personally but ... I don’t know it’s such negativity about things that I just don’t get - a constant desire to just put down the country, rather than find and work on more positive ways to improve it.

I think Boyle and the team of choreographers did a fabulous job, we recorded it as it was on too late for dd but she will get to see it which I think is important to her. I would echo what sarie says about the choreography, although I didn’t cry smile.

We do have tickets to some events, went through the initial applications with none but got some through the 2nd chance option and cannot wait to go. We have the lower priced tickets and age ones for dd so don’t feel it is too huge an expense for a once-in-a-lifetime event and have booked into a hotel for 2 nights for a very reasonable £66 for three of us. We all cannot wait to go and soak it all in, be at the village, be in the venues and bring back memories that will live with us forever.
I was 7 months pregnant when London was announced as the olympic venue for 2012 and dh and I said on that day that we would take “junior” to something at the Olympics as they would be nearly 7, we are very pleased to fulfill that dream.

I think the Queen could have at least looked interested or cracked a smile, and as for Paul McCartney - time to hang up the microphone. I did love how you saw Kate taking a picture of the GB team.

palemintmummy - 27 July 2012 09:31 PM

Sooooo-as I sit here watching the opening ceremony what do people think?

Waste of money?
Fabulous sporting event?

We will be watching aspects from a once in lifetime perspective…...we did apply for tickets but like most that applied for the ‘pay your age’ we didn’t get any…..

I’m not a sporty person but i really enjoyed the ceremony. I do think the vast amount of money is terrifying when they’re making cuts in the nhs etc due to lack of money tho. Sorry its short. On my phone. X x

We watched the opening ceremony & DD stayed up til about halfway through the countries. We all loved it, especially the Bond part, and we were amazed when it really was the Queen - we were expecting Judi Dench or Prunella Scales. I thought the Queen looked as though she was trying not to laugh! The final of the torch relay was amazing, and I thought it was inspired and inspiring to have young athletes lighting the cauldron. The copper petals were beautiful and their combined effect was stunning.

I think the celebration of sporting excellence and the effort that is required to achieve it is great, and the sponsorship is actually quite easily ignored. We were at the road race today and there was no sign of the headline sponsors, slightly to my surprise. In any case, sport needs sponsorship because the taxpayer can’t pay for all of it, and if big corporations want to spend money on it then that’s fine by me. Fundamentally it’s about the athletes, not the sponsors.  Sponsorship makes it easier for the athletes and planners financially, but it doesn’t lessen the effort the athletes have to put in to get there, or that the planners have had to make to get it all done.

I too was pregnant when the winner of the 2012 bid was announced & we’ve been looking forward to going as a family to our ‘local’ Olympics ever since.  We have got some tickets, to the Olympics and Paralympics, and are all really excited about going. If the atmosphere is anything like what it was for the road race today, it’ll be amazing. DD is a very keen swimmer and she’s getting very excited about watching it. It’s also inspiring her - she says she wants to be an Olympic swimmer….!

I also love that is is the first Olympics ever where every single national team includes women athletes. For an Olympics which was planned in the shadow of 9/11 and 7/7, this is immensely important.

growing green by baby steps

We weren’t going to watch but did and I admit it was good but sorry I do question the fact they were celebrating the NHS using vast of amounts of money to do so whilst in reality vasta mounts of money are being cut from the NHS.

Other things do slightly bug me but not going to moan about it. Did have a chuckle however at the irogance of a certain MP who thought it was ok to tweet that he was relieved the multicultural leftie part of the cermony was over!! Surely the multiculturalism should be one of the most praised things! Guess he wasn’t a liberal then! smile

x

“We are all molded and remolded by those who have loved us and, though that love may pass, we remain, none the less, their work. No love, no friendship can ever cross the path of our destiny without leaving some mark upon it forever.” Francois Mauriac, French novelist (1885-1970)

Claire, Mummy to Eilidh (10) and Andrew (7)

http://writingaboutnature.blogspot.com

“I also love that is is the first Olympics ever where every single national team includes women athletes. For an Olympics which was planned in the shadow of 9/11 and 7/7, this is immensely important.”

think I’m missing something here, could you elaborate? Of course it is great that all the teams include women but I’m not sure what 9/11 and 7/7 have to do with it.

Lemnoliving - 28 July 2012 04:41 PM

Did have a chuckle however at the irogance of a certain MP who thought it was ok to tweet that he was relieved the multicultural leftie part of the cermony was over!! Surely the multiculturalism should be one of the most praised things! Guess he wasn’t a liberal then! smile

x

No, one of the Tory party, the same who was involved in the scandal about nazi uniforms and singing on a stag do last year! One of the Tories finest! Dh watched it happen on Twitter whilst we watched the opening ceremony, was quite fun to hear it unfold. He’s tried to backtrack but I think he showed his true colours there.

I was impressed with the classical musical offerings including Evelyn Glennie’s performance, Simon Rattle conducting the LSO in the Chariots of Fire/Mr Bean bit and also Daniel Barenboim holding the flag in honour of his efforts in bringing “harmony in the place of discord”. Also Doreen Lawrence holding the flag was enough to bring a tear to my eye! In fact, many bits of it did. I must be getting soft in me old age…

Pondwatcher

The 7/7 bit is about fact that games being awarded to London announcement happened day before 7/7- so there was an immediate backlash about how we were going to protect the games from terrorism etc

Starring members of the Cast:
Sebastian (2004), Felicity (2006), Tristan (2008)

Home educating, thought provoking parenting, healthy eating trying to be locavores- but following our own way

AND finally admitting to having a blog http://owngrown.blogspot.com

Share this with friends

Recent Posts