Issue 91 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Sooo….just trying to work out what is going on with my littlest. He is almost 2 and a half, and has no words at all. He is obviously intelligent, and has had great comprehension since he was tiny. But no words! He makes vehicle sounds, and laughs an infectious belly laugh smile

Anyone else had similar experience? We’re waiting to hear in regards to a speech therapist referral, so perhaps they will shed some light on it. But it would be so reassuring to hear what you lovely mama’s know on the subject…

Thanks for reading my dears
xxx

Mama to three small beautiful souls
GP LETS No. 90

My son was similar. He maybe had five words at that age. He had some speech therapy and both my husband and I completed the Ecklan courses to try and help him along. It has been a long road and we are lucky he has had amazing teachers that have helped him so much. He is now six and in full control of his speech and does not stop talking. Some of the things he comes out with amaze me and it is quite obvious to me he has a full understanding now for his age as he understands subtleties of conversation that I wouldn’t think he would get and even uses sarcasm! I am sure your little one will come along in the end they are all different and learn differently and at different paces, I found our speech therapy dept. very good so hopefully yours will be as well. Just as an afterthought has your lo had a hearing test?

Thanks for replying Rachel, I’m so glad your son is doing so well now. We have similar hopes with the speech therapy, that we can learn some skills ourselves to help him in whatever way we can.
He’s had the standard newborn hearing test, which was fine, and we wouldn’t say he had any issues there - he often picks up sounds that we miss, and will go collect something from another room if you mention it in passing smile

GP LETS No. 90

I remember thinking that ds1 had no real words at around the same age - maybe even nearer 3. I went to the HV fir help and age referred him to slt. We did wonder if it was hearing, and in fact he did have glue ear and had treatment for that. We also wondered if it was due to his older sister - dd2 was very close in age to him and was extremely vocal, so maybe he felt he didn’t need to talk.
He did have speech therapy but by the time we went he had begun to talk so much more. He had treatment for his hearing a couple of times. He improved as time went on and his language skills developed in the end. He is 21 now! xxx

Thanks Jacqui. We think it might also be to do with his older brother being a chatterbox! Also because we are both about most of the time to anticipate needs, communicate in other ways, and we tend to make things accessible for the boys, if you see what I mean… time will tell I’m sure xxx

GP LETS No. 90

Could you try signing? Our DS didn’t talk much at that age, but same as you, you could tell he understood. The signing was great for letting him be ‘heard’.

smile Mummy to DS born March 08 and DD born July 2010 smile

GP Lets No 119

Thanks Ronnie…that’s a good idea. I’ll have to look into it some more.

GP LETS No. 90

Hi Devonmama, my DS said no words atall untill around your DS’s age, he communicated via signs. Right about when I was starting to worry, he started talking. He is also a chatterbox now, he even talks in his sleep! LOL He does have some pronounciation issues, but even those are hardly noticable now (aged 5). I think he just needed time. He has not had any SALT, though the HV did suggest it, I just felt at the time it was something that would happen in its own time.

To dare is to lose ones footing temporarily, to not dare is to lose oneself.

LETS number 137

https://wildheartseducation.wordpress.com/

Thanks BluebellFinn…this is just where we have been, right up until the last few weeks - I really do trust him to speak when he’s ready, it’s so easy to start looking at charts and whatnot though, isn’t it. I fully expect him to start rabbiting away. Patience - I need some, could learn a lot from these boys of mine!
Thanks for all the replies, knew I’d feel better after visiting here. I’ll keep in touch.
xx

GP LETS No. 90

my daughter did not speak until she was3 then didn’t use many words. she is just over 5 now and still struggles when she is tired and some words she really has to concentrate on. I chose not to seek help and I trusted with patients and time it would be ok. she used signs amazing well and still loves to sign even though she can speak well now.

when life gives you a rainy day play in the puddles !!!
mum to 4 sons 13,7,4 and 2
a daughter 8 years ,
and always in my heart my angel xx

Thanks Jennifer, I’m so pleased your daughter has taken to signing, as well as her speeach improving so much. As you say, it sounds like a great outlet for her, even now in moments when she can’t express herself verbally.
It’s really interesting to hear real families journeys; our boy still isn’t talking, although he told me ‘ball’ very clearly on Sunday, so maybe he is starting to work it all out. I know he will show me when he is ready, we are trying to be relaxed about it all smile
Patience is a real virtue, I’m learning a lot from these small people of mine!
xx

GP LETS No. 90

Share this with friends

Recent Posts