Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Does anyone know much about this? I’ve googled, but there’s not a lot on it. I’ve been going through a bit a bit recently, kind of accepting and coming to terms with who I am and what I want and believe, and although i hadn’t specifically been thinking about religion, its kept coming back to me.  I was brought up a Christian, even got confirmed. Then i discovered paganism and wicca, which seemed to speak to me quite strongly and filled a lot of gaps I hadn’t realised was there. I kind of explored that, but being at boarding school and in the chapel choir I still went to church and just kind of continued.  Afterschool finished, I ended upin a relationship with a man who was essentially a very messed up born again christian who seemed to struggle majorly with guilt. Iwon’t go into details, buthe made me give up wiccaand convert. When we broke up, I went straight back to paganism, and ended up having two good friendsips end because they were strong christians and couldn’t be friends with me if I pursued my interest. Luckily one of those friends eventually came back and we are now best friends and have long reigious debates without upsetting each other. During those few years, I became very anti-Christian. A lot of pagan stuff I read although not abusive seemed to like poiting out everythig wrong with christianity, I experienced several fundamenatlists who were very nasty people, and ended up being quite anti and bitter. 

Recently, and especially with Christmas and solstice coming up, i realised that although I do have a strong faith in the goddess, and in concepts central to pagan themes, I still have some belief and faith in the Christian side of things.  more the new than the old testament tbh,but I think ihave kind of gone circle round and come ac feeling alot less bitter andbiased against it, andI am starting torecapture some of my faith from being achild.  But I do still strongly believe in the goddess, reverence for nature, karma, equality and the absence ofevil as an embodied force. Ialso doworship god as the horned godin pagan ritual. i don’tbelieve in the concept of sin, nor do i believe that jesus is the only way to salvation, and I don’t believe in hell.  i kind of see the holy trinity as equal to the triple goddess, and I still believe that magick is real and can bestrong forcefor good, thought tbh.

All theinfo I can find on Christian wicca/paganism seems to be that some people who are christian essentially, revere nature and are comfortable with using magick forgood. it isall based around the idea of paganism as a way of way of life. I have’tfound anyone yet who has a strong believe of both god and jesus and the goddess without them being either having the goddess as a lower deity in the form of the virgin mary which I don’subscribe to, or that they are gnostics, whic after reading something about, doesn’tfit with me either.

In general, i feel a bit stuck. Am I just being a contradiction? This is the most comfortableI have felt with my own personal beliefs for years, but I getthe feeling everyone is going to tell me I am wrong.  And I am worried thatfamily members who have seen me go through the antichristian years are going to be difficultto persuade that this is not just me changing my mind again.

Does anyone have any thoughts on any of this, either practical or theological?  i don’treallyhave anyone to ask/discuss this with. DH is a verystrong aethiest who is generally anti religion, but tolerates my “weird hippyness”, though I’m not sure he’d like me being part Christian. There’salso the question of the children.  I have been concerned with the aount of Christianity that is taught at harry’s school, andI will admit, partly cause I am very lacking on this at home. I don’twant them to feel left out at school as they get older, but I am also starting to feel that they would miss outif they were excluded from things.  I remember the meaning stories from the bible had for me as a child,and I would lke the boys to have that too, but not sure if Dh would agree

Mother to Harry (6) and Oliver (4) and Hannah who arrived at 5.57pm on Friday 10th May 2013

http://adventuresofthreelittlemonkeys.blogspot.co.uk/ - our new blog, Three Little Monkeys

I know absolutely where you are coming from . I am a Christian with strong Celtic influences- very hard to explain my thoughts without it turning into an incoherent ramble, and having a busy day. I will try and string a proper reply together and pm you if you like? Xx

I knew of one lady who described herself as a Christian Witch. She believed Jesus was in nature.

But with that in mind, does it have to be Jesus who is in nature? Can’t it just be nature for nature’s sake? I attended Church and other christian groups as a kid, sang hymns in assembly etc but I felt there were just too many lies and things that didn’t add up with the bible for me to carry on with that line.

At the end of the day, religion and faith is personal to you. If it fits with you and fits your needs then it’s for you.

Hmm.  I personally would say there is no such thing as Christian Wicca.  While Wicca does have some strong catholic mysticism veins running through it, as Gardener drew from many mystic traditions when forming Wicca, it is essentially different and new religion, in which worship if the goddess and her consort are central.

I do wonder if you mean Christian witch, as Wicca is both a religion in its own right, and can also include study of the craft.  There are wiccans who do not practise the craft.  However witchcraft is not a religion, it is a craft.

Thus I suppose one could mix the craft with Christianity, but I imagine it will be a lonely path, pagans and Christians alike are not usually fond of folks who blend.
But then I do know if Christian groups who take God’s instruction that the world belongs to man, to mean they are the caretakers of nature.  Far as I’m aware they do not do magic as anything supernatural (apart from God, jesus, holy spirit and angels) is usually rejected by the Christian faith, although again this became dominant after the witch trials, when the church went back to denying witchcraft existed.

Born again Christians generally believe magic is satan fooling me.  The only vaguely magical practise, prophetising is ok because it is from God.  Essentially if course it’s divination, but no other is accepted; any other is considered to be from evil spirits.

However, I’m speaking of modern day Christianity.  Back in the day most Christian women would know charms for helping the veg to grow, to keep a loved one safe, words to whisper over herbs to help heal illness or wounds, etc.  Today however this melding is less accepted. 

Not an easy path by any means.  But if it calls to you, then follow your heart.

As for hubby and biblical stories; it is essential children know them, if only from a purely literary point of view.  So much literature references biblical stories, not knowing these will mean the student will miss out on many nuances.

https://www.facebook.com/ByHook0rCrook/  - Freeform Crochet Art.

My blog:  http://freelyeducated.blogspot.co.uk/

LETS membership # 52

http://rosehowey.org.uk - HOME!

I have a children’s bible and sometimes I read them the stories at bedtime. I do not insist on telling them this is in anyway a truth although I believe there is a lot of truth in the historical parts of the bible. I just bring it to them as a story for now as they are 6 and 4 and will discuss with them more later about the what people believe and offer them information / stories from other religions and beliefs. I don’t think you have to label yourself as one thing either. I see in Christianity a belief in care for the environment and the world in general for example as well as humanity. Taking care of the planet is part of taking care of nature and humanity and must surely therefore be part and parcel of any religion?

I read my daughter bible stories when she asks (we’re Christian) but also Greco-Roman myths & legends. She loves all of them. As Joxy said, I think it is essential for children to know these stories because so much of our culture is based on them or references them. We don’t present the Old Testament stories as literal truth, because we don’t believe them to be. Instead, we present them and the Greco-Roman ones as people’s versions of the truth. Spotting the connexions is fun, such as the Greek version of Noah’s flood. We don’t even present the New Testament as literal truth, because of the differences in the Gospels. They’re all good stories, and I think there’s nothing wrong with presenting them as such.

I’m sorry you had such a bad time at the hands of conservative evangelicals. You’re not alone! Equally, not all Christians are like that. Some of us are much more open-minded to other beliefs. Christianity has always stolen other festivals and made them its own, for example Christmas/Yule. For you, this is about working out a belief system that works for you. It doesn’t have to work for anyone else. Do you absolutely have to tell your husband what you now believe? Could you leave it unsaid until you are more confident?

I wish you blessing and peace whatever you believe.

growing green by baby steps

What you describe sounds a little bit like Mormon belief actually.  They hold that there is both a father and mother God, and that all living things are their literal offspring - Jesus being the firstborn and furthest along the path to one-ness with God.  I don’t know how welcome you would be made, but it may be one avenue for you to explore in working out what it is you believe.

I’m another Christian (in an Anglican Evangelical Church) who is drawn to nature-honouring and struggles with Biblical Literalism (and judgemental Christians).  I have my fair share of Church horror stories, to the point where we regularly revisit whether we want to be part of a conventional church at all.  I don’t believe in either hell or sin as our church teaches them, nor do I believe that only Christians and Christian institutions have truth or goodness in them.  I don’t believe that the Church is an authority, either.  Just out of interest, if you don’t believe that we need “salvation” so to speak, or that Jesus atoned on our behalf, what is it that for you makes you want to identify as a Christian?

Sarah
Living, loving, learning, laughing, growing, with
8yo Jenna (August 04)
6yo Morgan (December 06)
4yo Rowan (April 09)
and toddling baby Talia (December 11)

http://www.carried-family.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ArwenMakes

GP LETS number 17

Quote:  I’m sorry you had such a bad time at the hands of conservative evangelicals. You’re not alone! Equally, not all Christians are like that. Some of us are much more open-minded to other beliefs.

Yes, and the pagan community has its fair share of closed minded nastiness.  The constant bemoaning of Christianity, or almost revelling in the churches’ transgressions makes me sick.  Not to mention hypocritical!!

https://www.facebook.com/ByHook0rCrook/  - Freeform Crochet Art.

My blog:  http://freelyeducated.blogspot.co.uk/

LETS membership # 52

http://rosehowey.org.uk - HOME!

I agree Joxy, i think that is why I became quite bitter about it all for quite a while,there was somuch bad feling about, anytimeanything religious as mentioned, Christianity was always used as the way not to do it. I was feeling a bit vulnerable at the time, and fell for it completely. Now I am much stronger in myself I can distance myself from that. i did end up quitting the pagan forum I was on, but haven’t found another good one for years.

Dunelm-I’ve had god experiences as well with Christians, the main one being the chaplain at my school who let me conduct my pagan rituals in the ante chapel when it was bad weather cause it wasthe only place in school we were allowed to burn candles. i think I just had the bad experiences at a time when I was vulnerable and feeling very alone in it all.

Sarah- its not that I don’tbelieve in salvation, more that Idon’t think that it is the only way,s I believe that all religions are a different way to the divine or to enlightnement. I don’tbelieve in sin, especially several of the things listed in the bible, but I do believe in right and wrong and as a person who is very prone to huge amounts of guilt, believing that I can ask for a higher being to forgive me and that they do, helps me to forgive myself.  stories in the old testament i see as I do Greek/Roman/Egyptian\Celtic mythlogy, in that they are really fascinating stories, with elements of truth and exaggeration in all of them.  i am more likely to believe in stories from the new testament,  because there is me archaeological fact supporting them,and I see Jesus as a physical manifestation of the son of the god and gddess born at the solstice, who lays down his life for his people asthe god does at the end of summerin the wheel of the year stories. I know among strega witches there is a similar story involving the goddess born as a human woman, but I don’t know a lot of the details.

Mother to Harry (6) and Oliver (4) and Hannah who arrived at 5.57pm on Friday 10th May 2013

http://adventuresofthreelittlemonkeys.blogspot.co.uk/ - our new blog, Three Little Monkeys

There’s a book called The Pagan Christ by Tom Harpur that you might find interesting. I did anyway!

Depends what sins you see listed in the Bible that you don’t think are sin, as what we read is often what our culture tells us is there.  I can’t make assumptions about what you are struggling with, but I can tell you with a very long list of examples that there are differences of opinion on translation.  I have certainly been known to ask why the church is so hung up on sexuality and yet teaches that it’s fine to eat pork…  wink  Amongst Christians we could debate all day about what sin is and isn’t, and what is and isn’t sin.

C S Lewis has some interesting things to say about Jesus being the only way to salvation.  Notably that we don’t know how that works and can’t know how that works, and if we think we do then we’re being arrogant.  Evolving in Monkey Town by Rachel Held Evens is another book that recently made an impression on me about things that Christians claim to know unfailingly, when we’re all just human.  You might like her blog.  smile

Sarah
Living, loving, learning, laughing, growing, with
8yo Jenna (August 04)
6yo Morgan (December 06)
4yo Rowan (April 09)
and toddling baby Talia (December 11)

http://www.carried-family.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ArwenMakes

GP LETS number 17

Christianity for me is a personal relationship. Maybe take a peak at Joyce Meyer’s Christian teachings, can be found on YouTube or podcast or if you basically just Google. I like how she tackles the bible. I find her teachings very useful and relatable for every day life.

Share this with friends

Recent Posts