Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Hiya

The breastfeeding tops I wore when feeding my daughter are pretty much all falling apart so can anyone recommend any nice brands of top for me to look out for?

Also I had horrendous cracked nipples (and I mean terrible) last time and got stuck on nipple shields until my daughter was five months old - this was even with multiple appointments with a lactation consultant and regular visits to LLL meetings. So basically is there anything I can do to prevent this happening second time around and has anyone used silver nipple caps? What was your experience of them if you did.

Oh and nipple cream - any recommendations? I had some from my lactation consultant and I’m sure it was called Rafael or similar but looking for that online I find it’s not widely available at all.

Thanks in advance

X

When I was in the UK, I found a store in London (that also does mail order) that had great nursing tops:

http://babeswithbabies.com/section_details.aspx?section=Breastfeeding+Tops&section_id=21

It is SPENDY as I recall, so hold out for the sales. 

In particular the tank made by this company is great:

http://www.glamourmom.co.uk/

They were a smidge spendy as I recall, but I have 4, two tanks in the long version, and two in the normal and wear them constantly.  After 3 years, they’re still in top shape, so in my mind worth every penny.

I also think that Frugi makes some nursing tops.  I never tried them, but know from personal experience that their baby clothes are fab, and hard wearing.  Maybe worth a look?

ETA: I forgot as for nipple cream, I always went with pure lanolin, worked well for me, Lasinoh is the brand I used…

SAHM to DS- 10/08 and DD 11/10

Lansinoh is excellent stuff, I also used bepanthen nappy cream on my nipples.
I would recommend avoiding those absorbent bra pads (forget what they are called!!)which catch milky drips if at all possible - I found they did not let my nipples air so they did not heal so well. i had some washable wool ones for when I was out of the house but luckily I was not too leaky.

Yummy Mummy of 3 children and 4 chickens and a greyhound who would like to be greener.
Love knitting and sewing and making cakes.
Pro-breastfeeding, meat-eater, recycler, realist.

new Making stuff blog

My facebook page - Shazronnie makes stuff

My folksy shop

LETS 105

I don’t think I can use those washable pads. I’d like to but I am very very leaky. (I was changing bed sheets nearly every other day and that was with a bra and pads at night). The lactation consultant said I have a very forceful let down and this was one of the main problems with getting a good latch as it meant my daughter would get so much milk she couldn’t swallow fast enough. The nipple shield, I think, helped her manage the flow a bit - so even though thats not why i used them to begin with its one of the reasons she I found it so hard to stop using them. Am hoping that this time round I can use a few other techniques that I got the hang of to help rather than the nipple shields because they really were a pain in the arse.

You could try the nipple cups to collect the drips rather than soak them up to try and get more air to your nipples - maybe not all the time, but during the day perhaps.

Yummy Mummy of 3 children and 4 chickens and a greyhound who would like to be greener.
Love knitting and sewing and making cakes.
Pro-breastfeeding, meat-eater, recycler, realist.

new Making stuff blog

My facebook page - Shazronnie makes stuff

My folksy shop

LETS 105

I feel that anything is worth a go so will try that out. Thanks!

Share this with friends

Recent Posts