Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

We rarely have anything in batter, so I am not an expert, but sometimes, frying food is just not an option if I have a tired Cerys and no Cat, and I really fancy tofu in ginger batter. I tried it in the oven yesterday and, as I suspected, the batter spread a bit and did not go crispy at all. Do I just need to use more oil, or am I going to have to live without it? I just used plain flour, a pinch of salt and lots of black pepper and ground ginger, mixed with a bit of water and, despite being soft, it was delicious!

Squee

Mammy to
Cerys (July 2010)
Violet (November 2013)
GP LETS 113

I don’t use a lot of batter but what about trying a yorkshire pudding sort of recipe that you could adapt? Or a toad in the hole sort of recipe? Those are mostly batter after all smile

Your recipe sounds interesting… x

Trying to do everything - failing madly!

Being constantly & lovingly educated by daughter Freya, 19 cheese

Thanks. I will look into that. I have never made Yorkshire pudding, and the only batter recipe I have ever used is for onion bhajis, so thanks for the inspiration.  smile

Squee

Mammy to
Cerys (July 2010)
Violet (November 2013)
GP LETS 113

Yorkshire pud batter:  140g flour, 200ml milk and 4 large eggs, 1/4 cup of oil seasoning.  (oil is optional - I find it makes the crisp yorkies a bit more tender but it can be left out)
Ingredients at room temp work best.  Whisk all together well.

Muffin tin works great for yorkies:  put a little oil in each and pop in the oven at 220 degrees for ten mins until starting to smoke.  Immediately add the batter to the tin and gently close the over door.
(my oven is bonkers so I do turn down to 200), cook for 20-30 mins (depending on your oven) until deep golden and risen - DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR until finished cooking otherwise you’ll get flat yorkies.

If you want to add the tofu, then add it quickly to the batter poured into the muffin tin before putting back in the oven - when doing toad in the hole etc, I heat a hob up and put the tin on the hob while I add batter etc so it keeps the oil really hot!

You can add any seasoning you like to the batter - I often add rosemary and garlic to mine.

https://www.facebook.com/ByHook0rCrook/  - Freeform Crochet Art.

My blog:  http://freelyeducated.blogspot.co.uk/

LETS membership # 52

http://rosehowey.org.uk - HOME!

Thank you. I shall try that next time we get tofu, or may just make toad in the hole next week anyeay, as Cerys and Cat will love that. It’s always helpful to have additional meal ideas!

Squee

Mammy to
Cerys (July 2010)
Violet (November 2013)
GP LETS 113

I was going to suggest trying yorkshire pud type batter too!
Make sure you use plain flour or they won’t rise. I use 2 eggs, about 4 heaped tbsp flour and about 75ml - 100ml milk. That makes 12 small ones (in those individual bun tin things.)

Yummy Mummy of 3 children and 4 chickens and a greyhound who would like to be greener.
Love knitting and sewing and making cakes.
Pro-breastfeeding, meat-eater, recycler, realist.

new Making stuff blog

My facebook page - Shazronnie makes stuff

My folksy shop

LETS 105

shazronnie - 22 January 2013 02:48 PM

Make sure you use plain flour or they won’t rise.

Oh! *bangs self on head and realises there is hope yet*

Share this with friends

Recent Posts