Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

In my left breast. No lump or red patch or fever. But I’ve been getting burning shooting pain deep in my left breast. I’m in so much pain. I’m not engorged and he’s been feeding fine from that side. Any idea? Hot compress hasn’t helped x

Thrush? I think this sounds like how I felt when I had thrush on my nipples. Try some natural yog between feeds (if there is such a time). Sorry got to dash, cooking tea.

Sarah x

I had mastitis repeatedly with my youngest for some reason, and I never had redness or anything. I’d get it checked.

Gem, just want to say, please keep an eye on it. I don’t want to scare you but it IS possible for something more serious to be going on even though you are young and breastfeeding. Don’t worry yourself, but do keep tabs on it

x

Ummm that hadn’t even crossed my mind and assumed it would be breastfeeding realted! :S! Where is the best place to have a breasty issue checked? I’ve never even had mastitis before and breastfed for nearly 2 years with my daughter! Do I see a GP? Or a lactation person? Do you think it sounds more like cancer than thrush/mastitis?? Ooh. Worried now.

Does sound like thrush.  You will need to see GP, and get you and the children treated (are you tandem feeding?)

Gem. - 08 March 2013 08:33 PM

Ummm that hadn’t even crossed my mind and assumed it would be breastfeeding realted! :S! Where is the best place to have a breasty issue checked? I’ve never even had mastitis before and breastfed for nearly 2 years with my daughter! Do I see a GP? Or a lactation person? Do you think it sounds more like cancer than thrush/mastitis?? Ooh. Worried now.

Obviously it could be anything but as far as I was aware cancer often presents itself as a non painful lump rather than pain with no lump. Obviously still get it checked out but try not to worry too much till you know what it is. Xxxx

Unless it feels like a tumour, they will treat you for thrush/mastitis first anyway.  Someone I know died last year of that sort of breast cancer that gets worse when breastfeeding.  It is extremely rare.  So rare that we are seeing more reports on it so that women know that it exists.  We aren’t seeing more reports due to an increase in occurrence.  So, very, very rare. 

If you need to go see a GP (that’s who should treat it), do go.  And if it recurs quickly, go back and ask if it could be anything else.  But don’t sweat it.

I found a lump in my breast a couple of months ago.  It was just my breasts settling down as Neddie has vastly reduced his intake.  Slight panic but helped by this site http://www.channel4embarrassingillnesses.com/video/how-to-check-yourself/how-to-check-your-breasts/

Don’t want to scare you at all! Its just something I’m pretty aware of.

Breast cancer can present as anything “odd” about the breast. Pain, bleeding, and/or unusual skin changes. Its also possible for it to be “silent”. There is not always a lump, no. There are different types of cancer of the breast.

Please don’t worry about this. I really do not want to scare you. At your age it is highly unlikely to be anything. I mention it because I think people often think a. I’m young b. I’m breastfeeding-so I can’t have cancer. And while, absolutely, breast cancer is far more of a risk for older, non-breastfeeding women without healthy lifestyles, younger people can and do get it. All I am saying is, be aware and if it doesn’t resolve, push your GP for a referral because my experience is that its hard to get one if you are under 40.

Today a reddish mark has appeared on that breast in the exact spot I internally feel the pain. It looks like of like a red bruise. Its warm to touch but I don’t have a fever. I feel like crap though and I’m miserable and irritable and I’ve shouted a few times. Maybe mastitis? What causes it? I’ve never had it before. I’m going to go to out of hours drs in the morning if its the same x

Really sounds like mastitis to me, do you have poke root tincture?  That has worked so many times for me in clearing up mastitis within a few hours.  It is wonderful stuff.

Last year I went to the dr with a painful lump in my breast and they refered me instantly to have it scanned an biopsied!  It turned out to be some inflammation probably from some left over milk in a duct after weaning my eldest dd.  But often dr’s refer really quickly to help reassure you.  I don’t reckon you need that based on the suddenness and acuteness and now red.

Hope it has gone by now!

Share this with friends

Recent Posts