Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

We started at a new school nearly 1 year ago after living abroad for 4 years.  My DS2 has made no progress at school.  He is on School Action + and he is under a Paed.  He has been diagnosed so far with Dyspraxia, hypermobile,  Language disorder, Lazy eye, Sensory Processing and wears an eye patch and foot plates.  He has school intervention, OT and is awaiting SALT.  We are also waiting to see if any other diagnosis comes to light such as Dyslexia and ADD and anything else really.

I feel concerned though as he has scored over 2.5 years younger than his actual age in S&L and the SALT has signed him off, so the school has now re referred him.  I have been told he is not far enough behind to warrant a statement, but the lack of process is now a cause for concern.

I am meeting with the school regularly have made suggestions, phoned up for an emergency phone conversation with his paed, doing extra Maths and phonic work at home, also physical exercise such as swimming and football to help his body and piano to help his mind and sequencing and he loves music.  Also Beavers for his self esteem and friendships.

Please can anyone advise me on what else I could be doing at home, with the school or support groups.  We’ve only been back less than 1 year and it’s been a crazy year.  (without evening talking about DS1 diagnosis last week!)

You just made me think of a clip I’d seen on facebook and shared, that you may find helpful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjgPyAHcq_Y&feature=share

Does he have a plan in school of what they’re actually tackling with him, specific area’s that he needs to work on and that can be ticked off as he achieves them. We have a different system in Scotland and use IEP’s but they should be SMART. You can then see what progress is being made.

Is there anything in particular that he feels behind in, that he would like to learn? If not tackle one thing at a time that you feel is important, try not to overwhelm yourself, it sounds like you’re trying to cover all bases with what you are doing already. I think getting a good grip on one area can be far more benficial and confidence building than floundering along in many area’s. Although general support in the right direction like music and sports is helpful which is what you’re already doing.

You could also look at the time of day that he learns best, and try and structure specific learning activities into this time. We do guitar practice before they leave for school, soothing to help calm them down, engaging to help the brain become active, and they seem to progress much faster than when they do parctice after school. Work out when you think his best learning time is and which method of learning he seems to engage best with.

If it’s specific learning achievements you want to tackle come back to me and I’ll share what I’ve tried. Every child is different so it’s finding what works best for each, but it can depend on what it is you want the learning outcome to be.

Share this with friends

Recent Posts