Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Saule was 3 in May and is driving us mad, he has reached a stalemate and although we have been very patient it would be so handy if he was out of nappies.

If left half naked he is completely reliable and has been for, uses the potty at home, did use the toilet but prefers the potty, and even at other people’s houses (except for one time when he couldn’t climb up on the toilet!) but even with just pants, loose jogging bottoms, very loose light trousers or shorts, and the like he will wee or poo just where he is.  He really doesn’t like the feeling of feeling of being wet or dirty and will shout or cry for one of us to help. 

I have tried disposables which he is in most of the time, clothes nappies of various types (bumgenius, tots bots, prefolds) and also rainbow bots training pants, no pants and cotton pants.  He will use all as nappies.

Any ideas to help would be much appreciated wink
It would really help, especially with it being summer, well kind of wink
sarie

Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents,
it was loaned to you by your children.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
we borrow it from our Children.

LETS number 64

Could he just be half naked for the summer? If he is reliable without bottoms on, what about just giving him a month with no bottoms? It’s warm enough - just stick him in a long t-shirt (I’d use a couple of dresses, but not everyone feels comfortable with boys in dresses!) and some babylegs. If you have any old long socks with holes, they make brilliant babylegs with the feet cut off. A month of consistently no bottoms and really consistent potty use might just reset the situation . If anyone says anything just shrug and say “at least he chose to potty train in the summer”.

Angie

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WashedUpFamily Sea Glass Jewellery from the beautiful South Coast[/color]

http://washedupfamily.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NannieCool , http://nanniecool.yolasite.com Nannie Cool - for beautiful slings, playsilks, toys, nappy wraps and accessories made by Grace’s Nannie. All designs are “Approved by Grace”

http://bournemouthattachmentparents.blogspot.com/

No it’s not practical, but thank you for suggesting it, it’s how Alice did it. When camping he will be half naked but by the looks of the weather we won’t be going away much.

LETS number 64

we found boxer type pants worked for my youngest,with anything that ‘enclosed’ his bottom half it just didnt click.also i know you’ve got 1 of each,both of my girls were dry before 2,only 1 of my 5 boys was completely dry before 3,and that was only by a couple of weeks.stick with it,it’ll come xx

LETS no42

I have tried shorts that look like boxers, it’s just frustrating as he is not bothered at all and I only have the natural progression of Alice togo by.  I know every child is different, it feels like he just needs ‘something’ to help him make that leap wink

Grasping at straws I know but just thought I would ask smile
sarie

LETS number 64

This sounds like a very frustrating time. It’s so hard to work out the best way to deal with a child when they are like this, isn’t it?  I can’t offer any advice but thought you might want to know I am feeling the same way with Florence. She was 3 in February and has been ‘able’ to use a potty or loo for well over a year but refuses to. I have her in disposables as cloth was leaving her extremely sore but they are so expensive and I’d really like her to be in knickers. I even resorted to a sticker chart in desperation as she talks about wanting to wear knickers but seems a bit toilet/potty phobic. She did really well a few weeks ago was in knickers for a day and a half with no problems then had a little accident when carried away playing and got so upset that she screamed for a nappy until she was red in the face (we didn’t make an issue of it but it was obviously an issue for her). Now she wont even be a few seconds without a nappy!

I’m sorry if this doesn’t make you feel any better. It helped me to read that there is another child (and mama) that is struggling with the concept too. What are we to do with them?

Sarah x

Thank you for all of the suggestions and I know it was almost a year ago that I originally wrote this but thought I would update, Saule asked for Star Wars underwear for Yule and said he would come out of nappies, he did!  Very few accidents, mainly when staying at other people’s houses.
He has now (6 months after coming out of nappies in the daytime) stopped wearing nappies at night too smile  It was almost byaccident and for a couple of weeks I noticed he wasn’t weeing in his nappy till the morning, then I let the nappies run out and asked if he would like to try sleeping without a nappy on!  And he did smile

He was 4 in May, I hope this helps others who are going through the same things, I got so frustrated that he was stuck but in hindsight it wasn’t that long!!
sarie

LETS number 64

Share this with friends

Recent Posts