Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

A mama has messaged to ask if i wouldnt mind sharing some recipes for the food i cook and eat. I thought i would start a thread whereby we can share our day to day (or not so day to day!) recipes.

I would just like to add also that rarely do i follow an actual recipe and everything is adaptable. I am also vegetarian. Here goes!!!

VEGETARIAN TAGINE.

INGREDIENTS (roughly)
5 cloves of garlic crushed
1 can of chickpeas or about 200g dried and soaked
2 onions
1 courgette
2 peppers
1 aubergine
1 can chopped tomatoes
Raisins/prunes
Dried apricots
Spinach/kale/chard
(sometimes) squash or sweer potato.

SPICES
Cumin sees
Fennel seed
Coriander seed
Ginger
Chilli
Pinch of tumeric (but only because i add this to everything!!)

HOW TO
Chop the onions and garkic and gently saute..i cook with hemp oil. Once softenibf, add the spices. I use about a quarter of a teaspoon of each roughky. Let the spices sit with the onions. Blend onions and spice mixture into a paste. Now xhop other veggies however you like them. I like my food chunky and hearty so mine stay fairly bit. Add them to your pan with a dash of oil. Once softening add your spice mix. Reduce heat and simmer. Add chick peas. Add black pepper. Add tomatoes and fruit. Leave it alone on a low heat..checking now and then its not stickibg. If it is add a splash of water. This tastes best if its had a few hours to rest. Add the leafy veg when you rewarm it or right towards the end of cooking. Serve with fresh coriander if you have it. Couscous, flatbreads, salad,jacket spuds are all nice accompaniments. EAT!

VEGETARIAN SPAHETTI DISH.

INGREDIENTS
Peas/broad beans
Onions
Loads of garlic!
Feta cheese
Spaghetti
Rocket
Mint
Chilli
Fennel seed

HOW TO
Saute the onions and garlic until soft. When soft add spices and black pepper. Add peas. Add a bit of veg stock just so they dont stick..i use marigold or kallo. Add rocket near the end..when spaghetti is ready. Mix all together with crumbelled feta and fresh mint leaves. EAT!!!!

I will add more of course but brain is tired right now xxx

Great idea!

This always goes down well in our house:

Veggie Cottage Pie (could easily make with mince instead)
700g pots, peeled and chopped
225g parsnips, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
300g pack of veggie mince
100g frozen peas
400ml veg stock
2 tbsp veggie Worcester sauce or brown sauce
1 tbsp tom puree
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp cornflour
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp milk

1 - preheat oven to 180 oC/gas 4
2 - bring a pan of water to boil and cook pots and parsnips for about 10 mins, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
3 - meanwhile, heat the oil in a non stick pan, add onion and carrot and fry gently until onions are soft.
4 - add mince, peas, stock, Worcester sauce, tom puree and soy sauce, mix cornflour with a tbsp of water and add. Simmer for 5 mins, season to taste and spoon into overproof dish.
5 - mash pots and parsnips with milk until smooth and season. Spoon onto the mince mixture.
6 - bake for 20 mins until topping is crisp.

Best served with seasonal veg. Can’t tell there’s parsnips in the mash which is great for fussy eaters and can always use different sauces/flavourings to suit.

Mum to Kai (06/10/09) and Ari (24/09/15)

My husband’s jewellery shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/EarthlingBling ?
My blog: http://ourindiaventure.blogspot.com
My work: http://ecofemme.org/

Anybody need to feed a crowd?!

Veggie Biryiani. Feeds 16 easily.

5 mugs of rice
2 cans coconut milk
A bag of spinach
3 blocks of tofu or three cans of chickpeas
3 onions
1 butternut squash
Cumin - 5 tablespoons
Coriander - 5 tablespoons
Garlic - half a head
Ginger - a fat chunk as long as your thumb

Fry onions, add garlic and ginger when onions are translucent. When you can smell the garlic and ginger, add the other spices and fry for a minute or so.
Add the tofu or chickpeas and butternut squash and fry for a few more minutes.
Put the rice, with its equal volume of water into a fecking huge dish. Add the tofu/veggie mix and stir in the spinach.
Add the coconut milk, cover with foil and bake at 200 for 40minutes. I usually remove the foil about halfway through and check as it sometimes needs more water.

Hippy-anarchist-feminist-eco-crafty Mama of

Helena July 06
Felicity March 09
Miranda December 11

http://theanarchistmama.blogspot.co.uk

http://rosehowey.org.uk - home!

Great idea! Popular here is broccoli & feta pasta salad for 4 with leftovers. Cook pasta, almost a pack. Briefly cook broccoli florets, 2 large heads - they’re meant to be a little crunchy still but I usually forget and they;re soft. Still nice. Cut a block of feta into small cubes. If meat-eaters: cut a pack of salami slices into small pieces. Make a dressing of 2/3 olive oil, 1/3 balsamic vinegar, whole grain mustard (or whatever mustard you have, to taste) 1 heaped tsp, 1 or 2 small sprigs of rosemary needles finely chopped, a little salt & pepper. Gently mix everything together. You can eat it hot or cold.

Love, Sunshinexx

Sunshine
CARPE DIEM!

(Lets number 63)

Our favourite soup at the moment:
Creamy Watercress Soup

1 bunch watercress
1 onion
2 potatoes
stock
creme fraish
lemon

Chop onion and fry for five mins,then scub and peel potatoes and chop and add to onions.Then add stock(a couple of cups full,or bit more) and cook until potatoes are soft.Then add watercress and bring to boil,just to wilt watercress,then turn off heat,add a squeeze of lemon and half a tub of creme fraish and season.
Wizz in blender and serve.

Mummy to 4

This is a favourite in our house - easy to prepare & cook, basic ingredients.  I often chuck broccoli or spinach or similar in towards the end instead of or as well as coriander. I also add loads more ginger/garlic/cumin than the recipe says. No idea why it’s called ‘bake’ as it’s a one-pot dish that is cooked on the hob! It’s from Lucy Burney’s book Immunity Foods For Healthy Kids (oh and cumin is meant to stimulate breastmilk production):

Warming Lentil & Potato Bake

1 onion, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
2 medium potatoes, diced small
1/2 cup (115g/4oz) red lentils
1 pt/600ml vegetable stock (I just use water)
Handful of chopped coriander

Gently cook the onion in the oil for 8-10 mins. Add garlic, ginger & cumin, stir. Add potatoes, stir again. Add lentils & stock and bring to boil. Cover & gently simmer for around 25 mins, until potatoes are cooked & stock is all absorbed. Sprinkle with coriander.

One beautiful DD, born April 2005

Im loving this thread!!
Gem-we are going to have your tagine tomorrow grin just soaking the chickpeas.
So here is another quick and easy family favourite

lentil noodle dinner

250g green lentils
4tbs tomato puree
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1tsp dried basil
4 tbsp olive oil
1 litre water
250g/packet noodles
salt and pepper

put first 7 ingredients into a sauice pan and bring to boil,then cover and simmer for about 30 mins or until lentils are cooked.Check now and then that it is not sticking and add more water if nesessary. Add noodles and cook for about 15/20 mins until noodles are cooked,again adding more water if needs be.add seasoning to taste and serve with loads of grated cheese.(or not,but we like it with cheese!)enjoy!

Bring on the recipes mamas!

Mummy to 4

Share this with friends

Recent Posts