Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

perhaps you’ve been here…or perhaps I’ve been too blasé, I don´t know.

we’re about to embark on a year (the current estimation) of home/road/unschooling. I took a long time reading around the topic until I decided we should try it out in combination with a year’s travelling. After the initial feeling of ‘how can I offer my kids as much as they’ve been getting at school’ I felt sure it was a good thing to do and something my DH and I could manage together which would be a valuable experience for us all. In the last few months I’ve been calm since I decided that the kids should have their holiday period just like all other kids so we basically did the same as usual and i had it in mind that we would start things slowly and together asking the kids’ opinions every step of the way and that a lot would be dictated by the place we were visiting at the time anyway (trying to make the most of what each place offers for possible visits and hands-on learning).

Now the time is almost upon us (this is our last holiday week) and as I started to read a bit more about unschooling today I started getting nervous, feeling that I’m out of my depth and naive in thinking that I can fulfill the needs of a 6 and 10 year old and deal with the daily requirements of a year of travelling. I also started worrying that my 10-yr-old especially would look at me incredulously every time I suggested looking something up to ‘discover’ the answers together and that he might need more structure than I’ve been planning. Well, in a few words I’m in a bit of a panic. I know there are no right and wrong answers and that no one child’s needs are the same and that what I/we have to offer may be just as valuable but in different ways as what the kids have got in the last few years from formal state education, but that doesn’t stop the nervousness. Have I been naive? Can I just sit down with them and DH on day 1 and have a ‘meeting’ to plan what we would like to learn together and how it could look and develop? Is it natural to feel uncertain about the start of homeschooling? What did you do to get rid of those nerves and approach the whole experience positively?

Any advice is really welcome.

Sarah x

Sorry, no advice just interested in where you are planning on visiting, how are you travelling? It all sounds amazing.

Look up where you’re planning to go, maybe a couple of guide books, but more along the lines of Lonely Planet/Rough Guide to etc.  Maybe get the children to keep a travel journal - they could put all sorts in that: photos, drawings, pamphlets from places they’ve visited.  They could write down any local stories/myths, take rubbings of engravings, stick in local wildlife examples like leaves, flowers.  Not knowing where you’re going, but if its anywhere exotic, you could look at animals/fish, find out a few facts about them.  I leanred more about history on our family holidays travelling round Germany, Italy, etc.  Look up major historical events and go to the places.  Your ten year old could maybe write stories set in those times and based on the event.  Look at local costumes and traditions.  Learn the local languages and get the children to use them.

Few ideas, hopefully they’ll be of some use!  I don’t home educate but I do want to take my children travelling one day, and that’s the kind of things I planned on doing! x

Mother to Harry (6) and Oliver (4) and Hannah who arrived at 5.57pm on Friday 10th May 2013

http://adventuresofthreelittlemonkeys.blogspot.co.uk/ - our new blog, Three Little Monkeys

We live permanently travelling on a boat, though within a rrelatively small space in Berkshire/Wiltshire, and I have to say there are good and bad things about it. I do find the travelling parts quite stressful at times - just finding a good place to moor, where to do the shopping and get rid of the rubbish, finding my way around, but it does at least mean there are always new things to do and places to visit. I would say to take your time and not move on too fast. We have to move every 2 weeks due to waterways rules and it can feel a bit too soon. The main bit of the home ed that I’m having a problem with is keeping in touch with the kids friends and making new ones as we go. My kids live partly with their dad who is permenantly based in one place so they do see friends there but the bulk of the home ed falls to me and I’m a bit concerned sometimes that I haven’t yet made contact with different groups as we travel to hook up with them wheile we are there. That hasn’t been as easy as I’d hoped. Also my DS has Aspergers and finds the change difficult at times.

Sorry for typos and brevity - bit chaotic here right now

HTH!

Liz grin x

Druid, boat-dwelling, home educating mum of DD1 (11), Aspie DS (9) and baby DD2 (2), & part-time step-mum to 2 stepdaughters, 9 and 7.

I don’t know about travelling but yes I agree your eldest might *expect* more structure, to begin with at least, you might just have to grit your teeth and see it through - have you read about de-schooling? I believe they say a month per year of school attendance to get them out of the habit of being schooled, so don’t expect him to get it straight away. I took my 6 year old out last October after doing the reception year twice (different schools, different counties, different rules), I’d say it took her beyond Christmas before she stopped expecting to be schooled - and this from a kid who didn’t really have experience of sit down traditional lessons.

? We must live with hearts wide open, hearts wildly open ?

Wild glamping in the mountains of southern Spain ... http://wildsierraglamping.simpl.com/

We haven’t planned the exact route yet, probably only Europe though and languages are a definite focus of course. We want to plan bit by bit (about 6 weeks at a time) to leave us flexibility and of course local peculiarities, interesting sites of history, geography, local festivals, etc. will all guide our learning. Is this enough though? I was hoping so but occasionally have a feeling of ‘we mustn’t miss x out’.

Thanks for the ideas, they’re all great and we’ll certainly being doing diary keeping. The friend thing WILL be very tricky but we’ll keep a look out for possible solutions to get them meeting other children even if they are only passing friends. Right now we’re in a tiny village in Southern Spain and the kids have made several friends. We had been here a couple of weekends before and had a contact here so that made things easier but staying 6 weeks and speaking the language here helps considerably too. We won’t be staying everywhere so long so we’ll have to find other ways to give them contact to other kids.

Any more advice on how to get homeschooling (whilst on the move) off to a good start would be greatly appreciated.

Sarah x

Whereabouts in Spain? Us too.

? We must live with hearts wide open, hearts wildly open ?

Wild glamping in the mountains of southern Spain ... http://wildsierraglamping.simpl.com/

Will you have internet access? We use the net a lot in our home ed and that is something that can be continued wherever you are - Education City is good for the basics of English, maths and sciences and also has some languages which might support your travelling. Plus documentaries on iplayer and short info films on youtube about subjects which come up in everyday life.

Liz grin x

Druid, boat-dwelling, home educating mum of DD1 (11), Aspie DS (9) and baby DD2 (2), & part-time step-mum to 2 stepdaughters, 9 and 7.

We’re in the Sierra de Aracena at the moment, MountainMama.

Internet access, yes, though not always enough data possibilities to watch videos and iPlayer unfortunately.

Are you going to be using a dongle or a phone or something? We have 15gb a month and manage quite a lot on that!

Liz grin x

We only have 5 gb between 2 and my DH uses it for his work so I have to be careful not to overuse it unfortunately. We’re still experimenting with what that means we can do without running out. At some places we’ll get wifi so it won’t be so much of an issue but here that’s the best we could do.

Any advice on good documentaries would also be greatly appreciated….off to start a new thread…..

Share this with friends

Recent Posts