Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

I tried my hand at a little applique-ing over the summer on the kids t-shirts..my first go on a sewing machine! i was pleased with the results..i just cut out a shape (heart and flower) and sewed round the edges leaving a little edge out..it frayed making quite a nice shabby-chic-y look. now I’m thinking of doing some more and thinking of using felt? would this work on a cotton t-shirt? does it shrink/colour run/turn funny or anything else i havent thought of? was thinking of doing some leaves and just sewing up the middle?
was thinking of maybe doing some cloth bags as gifts for xmas too..thinking of ideas….does anyone have any good links to this kind of thing online? blogs or anything? it needs to be REAL simple..am an absolute beginner!
thanks
mummyk x

happy mummy at last to DD born March 2006..and DS born sept 2007..wonderful fabulous gifts. living as green as possible but always striving to be better!home edding and loving it!

LETS no 116

Hi
felt should be fine; usually colour doesn’t run…but it can go all bobbly in the wash. Best way to find out is to try it- get an old bit of t-shirt fabric, sew on a felt shape and chuck it through the washing machine every time you put on a wash for a couple of weeks- should give you a good idea of what it turns out like.
Good luck
Gill
x
ETA, simplest (and strongest) bag pattern- http://www.morsbags.com/morsbaginstructions.pdf

omg i wasnt going to MAKE bags..was going to buy some plain ones and applique on them lol… but maybe when i’m feeling more confident i might try bags!
good idea to try out a piece and wash it..didnt think of it bobbling…

thanks Gill xx

happy mummy at last to DD born March 2006..and DS born sept 2007..wonderful fabulous gifts. living as green as possible but always striving to be better!home edding and loving it!

LETS no 116

I use cheap red felt for appliqué on white cotton fabric and it looked great until I machine washed it- disaster, the red colour bled and it all puckered up as the felt shrank. Maybe I should have machine washed the felt first to pre-shrink it?

I might be wrong, but I thought felt with any wool content would just keep felting more and thus shrinking, each time you wash it? I think I’d also be cautious of its colour fastness with it being such bright colours. I’d be tempted to use different fabric. I’ve done lovely craft projects before using old clothes from the charity shop for fabric, at 99p a piece smile Also for bags, in case you haven’t got them yet, I think baker Ross do plain ones ready for craft.

Mummy to 4 little pixies: Seren (feb 08), Merri (may 09), Nerys (june 11) & Lyra (April 13)

http://www.crystals-and-ice.co.uk/ My sister’s amazing bead shop

Heggle - 24 September 2013 06:50 PM

I might be wrong, but I thought felt with any wool content would just keep felting more and thus shrinking, each time you wash it? I think I’d also be cautious of its colour fastness with it being such bright colours. I’d be tempted to use different fabric. I’ve done lovely craft projects before using old clothes from the charity shop for fabric, at 99p a piece smile Also for bags, in case you haven’t got them yet, I think baker Ross do plain ones ready for craft.

Ah, maybe it wasn’t cheap red felt- it might have been wool and that would explain the shrinking…?! I was given it in a bundle so no idea what it was.

i did look at Baker Ross bags..ebay too… but its really difficult to guage quality..some are really thin but I’s lie some slightly thicker ones..

hmm maybe felt isnt a brilliant idea..i just thought it would be a different ‘look’. i had a similar disaster moggy when i failed to wash the t-shirt of the material first and it all shrank and pulled the stitching out :o( lesson learned..

LETS no 116

Share this with friends

Recent Posts