Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Hi
just wondered if people could share some info about their home ed groups..I started running an under 6’s group a couple of years ago with a friend who then dropped out after a while and I sort of got lumbered with it.. we’ve muddled through with people pitching in with a rota of people bringing snacks each time and getting there a bit early to help set up..everyone helps clear up at the end while i read a story..we used to take turns doing a craft but people werent keen on signing up to do it..its not everyones cup of tea. We put out a table of craft stuff for the children to do as they please with..i also print out colouring sheets/dot to dots/spot the differences.
The main burden falls on me..i take all the toys along from our home..big boxes of duplo and brio, kitchen toys and dollies for the little toy kitchen which luckily is at the hall already plus other stuff..we can store a small amount on a shelf at the hall but its only enogh for a craft box and the teas and coffees. I’ve got a bit down about the group, firstly cos my kids get a bit overstimulated and i end up getting cross and stressed and I’m also sick of lugging all the toys about. we had a spanish couple come along last time and they were talking about a fab setup they had left behind in spain and it got me inspired to change so the long and short is i’ve asked for more help in the running or the shop shuts at xmas! we are all having a chat this week about the way forward..people are keen to help which is good and we have some fresh newly home edding enthusiatic members..there are probably only about 8 familes who come regularly at present..
So just wondered how other groups are run..are they run co-operatively? how do you sort out who does what? also how do you define yourself? like if you were describe who you were and what your aims were what would the answers be. I ask that as i think our group suffers from a lack of identity a little as the friend i started it with envisioned supporting young families who were maybe a bit alternative already and might be thinking of home edding in the future and would like info about it but we’ve grown a bit from there and for a start the eldest children are 8+ now so we’re not an under 6’ group nor just a ‘young families group’ which is what we rennamed ourselves a while back. And we do get some people with littlies but they are in a minority
people pay £2 a family plus £1 a child..that covers the hall hire and pays for the tea and craft supplies its more than enough and we have quite a stash in the kitty which needs spending! I’ve thought about ‘buying’ in ‘activities’ or visitors but havent really had the inspiration for what or who.
anyway, can anyone offer any inspiration or advice on how to run a group successfully without the burden falling on one person..as it always seems to…any ideas for a way forward for this muddled person!?
thanks

mummyk x

happy mummy at last to DD born March 2006..and DS born sept 2007..wonderful fabulous gifts. living as green as possible but always striving to be better!home edding and loving it!

LETS no 116

It’s not quite the same, but I tried (with a friend) to set up a co-operative AP group - but it just doesn’t work like that. Friend has some long-term health issues, which means that I can’t even be sure she will turn up, let alone help, and only one other person has *ever* facilitated a session. I store and take the sling, nappy and book library each month, and think of suitable topics and facilitate discussions monthly.

I have come to the conclusion that I either choose to do all this graciously because what I get from the group is worth it for me, or I tell people that unless they step up, the group will close. Right now, I am choosing to do it, and that’s fine, but things may have to change as this pregnancy progresses. We shall see.

Sorry, I probably haven’t helped much - but I think for me, the real change happened not because people stepped up, but because I made a decision about how important the group was to me personally - was it important enough for me to happily run it single-handedly? Right now it is - in the future, maybe not…

Angie

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WashedUpFamily Sea Glass Jewellery from the beautiful South Coast[/color]

http://washedupfamily.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NannieCool , http://nanniecool.yolasite.com Nannie Cool - for beautiful slings, playsilks, toys, nappy wraps and accessories made by Grace’s Nannie. All designs are “Approved by Grace”

http://bournemouthattachmentparents.blogspot.com/

Hi

We go to a lovely HE group which is for all ages. Age segregation is one of the things that we like to avoid - after all, mixed age friendships is one of the wonderful things about home educating. Also, many people have 3, 4 or 5 children so it just doesn’t work as there is such a range. We meet at a church hall with a garden two weeks a month and out and about other weeks (parks etc) We have one “social” week - toys, play dough, craft stuff and the like for free play. The toys come from the toy library. The other week we have a workshop “bought in” or run our own slightly more structured sessions. When I say structured, I really mean that there are sciencey tables with adults around to help, bug hunts organised in the garden etc and there is a loose theme to the activities that are put out, eg harvest, diwali etc. The bought in workshops have included a puppet theatre show, talks from the police and Guide dog trainers, science in a suitcase workshop, Vikings workshops, Lego Electrocity workshop. The group is run by 2 wonderful HEing ladies, with input from others of us on a committee. I can PM you the group’s aims and objectives if that helps?

Beck xxx

Radically unschooling mama to three gorgeous pickles Alfie (April 06) and Holly (Nov 07), Amber (Nov 2010)

http://blogs.wallman.org.uk/becki

Angie that was an interesting post..i have thought over the last 6 months that perhaps i needed to change my attitude over it..either do it happily or not at all..and i think thats where i am now..bottom line is I am not happy to do it alone and dont have the time needed to give to it (i already co-edit an adopters newsletter and am quite involved in my local adoption scene and these are more important to me) so its the crunch!

beck.i like the idea of one week free play and the other more structured..that means that every other time we have a ‘week off’ having to organise something! i like your ideas of the ‘bought in’ sessions..will add them to the pot!
I’sd love to see the aims and objectives too..will send a pm in a mo

thanks
mummyk x

happy mummy at last to DD born March 2006..and DS born sept 2007..wonderful fabulous gifts. living as green as possible but always striving to be better!home edding and loving it!

LETS no 116

Share this with friends

Recent Posts