Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Due to health issues it’s caused me to look into absolutely everything in our life right now and the “nasties” in everything is totally overwhelming me! So, I’m trying my hardest to think of the bigger picture and instead of wish myself away onto a tiny remote island away from life itself, I am trying to make changed gradually.

The first I wanted to tackle was plastic. My goodness! Our house is full of it and to try and reduce it where food is concerned is my main goal at the moment.

How do you buy milk when they all come in plastic bottles?

I eat a lot of cottage cheese - how? Without plastic?

cheese, even from the deli is wrapped in cling film.

How do I eliminate plastic on a daily basis from our food sources?

We get a veg box so that helps, but everything else comes in plastic!!

Is this challenge a no-win one??

Anyone else done it?

We generally have stainless steel saucepans or glass oven dishes but we do have non stick frying pans which I fully intend to swap as soon as I can. I only use glass bowls in the microwave and not plastic (even microwave safe plastic makes me shudder).

I’ve just juiced an orange - thats plastic too. (Hand one, not electric). Can you get metal hand juicers? And even my hand blender is plastic with a metal blade. Or is that going TOOO far??

Can anyone give me some pointers please before I drive myself mad!

Thanks!
xxxx

Some milk men still deliver in glass

It’s pretty easy to make a soft cream cheese once you get your milk in glass bottles wink

Take your own reusable container, get them to tarre off the weight of your container and drop your cheese straight in

Do you have a local bulk bin place?
Our butcher puts stuff straight into our own containers too - meat, cheese, coleslaw, pies etc

Can you get metal hand juicers?

I’m pretty sure you can get stainless steel

And even my hand blender is plastic with a metal blade. Or is that going TOOO far??

Don’t know - it’s only the blade that is in contact with your food, but if you’re serious about your health I’d be questioning whether using a microwave was the right thing to do - just to throw something else into the mix!

I help your customers find you on Google. Website design | SEO | Social Media | PR | Author

“Internet marketing solutions that transform your online business”: http://gloucestershirewebdesigns.co.uk/

Connect with me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Raestrauss

Find me on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rachellestrauss

LETS member 35

starchild - 05 May 2014 02:34 PM

Some milk men still deliver in glass

It’s pretty easy to make a soft cream cheese once you get your milk in glass bottles wink

Take your own reusable container, get them to tarre off the weight of your container and drop your cheese straight in

Do you have a local bulk bin place?
Our butcher puts stuff straight into our own containers too - meat, cheese, coleslaw, pies etc

Can you get metal hand juicers?

I’m pretty sure you can get stainless steel

And even my hand blender is plastic with a metal blade. Or is that going TOOO far??

Don’t know - it’s only the blade that is in contact with your food, but if you’re serious about your health I’d be questioning whether using a microwave was the right thing to do - just to throw something else into the mix!

Thank you starchild - we use the deli at Asda or Tesco because our butchers is usually too expensive unless they have a deal on when we will get it then. Our hand blender the whole of the bottom bit is plastic so the plastic is in contact with food too. Oh and don’t start on the microwave too - there’s just TOOO Much for me to get my head around and not sure if this challenge is WAY beyond me!! Especially as I’m a hoarder which we are trying to deal with right now and I’ve feeling overwhelmed with boxes and bags of “stuff” to sell all over the house right now! If we weren’t so broke we’d just bin the lot - but really could do with the cash right now so it has to be sold.

I’m also going to be looking at shampoos etc that we use - but I HAVE to do it is small steps without stressing myself out as stress is part of my health issues - but looking into it all is actually stressing me out more right now!

I have a HUGE long term plan to tackle all of this but right now I have to do a chunk at a time and try not to panic about the rest of it…TRY is the key word!!

You can also buy glass juicers, try charity shops for them and non-plastic containers.

We have a glass hand juicer - I often see them in the charity shop, and think mine came from the supermarket (many years ago).

Some butchers and cheese shops use paper wrapping too.

Its a huge thing to get your head round - going plastic free. I tried a while ago but got too overwhelmed. And now we have the added problem that our girls have just started to want all the plastic dolls etc - how do you deal with that one?!

Mummy to 4 little pixies: Seren (feb 08), Merri (may 09), Nerys (june 11) & Lyra (April 13)

http://www.crystals-and-ice.co.uk/ My sister’s amazing bead shop

We decant our milk into a glass jug and put it in the fridge, doesn’t get rid of the plastic bottle but it is a half way house for us.

We buy all our cheese from a deli, they wrap all their cheese in paper.  It is not more expensive than the supermarket in fact it works out better value because I buy the exact amount I need so never have any waste smile

Making cottage cheese is really easy I have made it!

Share this with friends

Recent Posts