Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

I think a few of you forage? Are there any good books/websites you’d recommend for a beginner? My plant identification isn’t bad, but I know nothing about foraging and don’t know nearly enough to forage safely. Thanks smile

Hi there - Food for free by Richard Maybe and A cook on the wild side by Hugh Fearnley Whatsit are two great classics ...
Happy hunting smile

My website: http://www.uniandjack.co.uk ~ Uni and Jack ~ Rainbow bright unisex organic baby & children’s clothes  
Selling Living Crafts | Maxomorra | Engel | GEGGAMOJA | DUNS Sweden | Piccalilly | LGR organic clothes - cotton & merino ~ 10% off CROESO smile
Uni and Jack on FB ... Facebook Winter sale
jennywrenberry on Instagram

I love the idea of foraging but am nervous doing it because no matter how good the book is, I *might* be wrong! There are some which show you look-alike plants too, I think they are a good idea. You need one which breaks down the plants parts for identifiation, I think I saved some somewhere I will have a look. For example, there may be 2 plants that look identical but can be distinguished by something so small, like how many sepals etc.

Most of the things I read suggest starting on a forgaing course, they crop up quite regularly here and aren’t expensive just for the day, but haven’t managed to get on one yet.

This is the one I pinned, but it was last year so can’t remember quite how this won over the others!:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Flowers-Britain-Photographic-Identification/dp/033025183X/?qid=1378386713&s=books&sr=1-11&keywords=wildflower+identification+book&ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_11

And Richard Mabeys too. Nettles and dandelions are the two things I’m most happy foraging for!

HTH xx

You could also try Alys Fowler’s ‘The Thrifty Forager’ smile

Trying to do everything - failing madly!

Being constantly & lovingly educated by daughter Freya, 19 cheese

Share this with friends

Recent Posts