Issue 91 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Does anyone have any tips. I like the idea of not wasting energy as well as not paying for more than I have to. Our gas bill for the last quarter was £73 and electric £79. I have just paid £97 for a hugs bag of firewood that they say will last me the month if I use 5 logs a night. I am not too sure if I am saving money there or not.

Does anyone have any good tips at all?

Um, that sounds really low to me quarterly!
But the obvious things - eradicate draughts, between floorboards, chimneys, letterbox, doors etc.
Nigel’s Eco store website always has good tips.
X

Really? I haven’t a clue as to what is a lot or not, just that I want to see if I can reduce it. We live in a tiny terraced cottage. The neighbours on one side have their wood burner on heating our lounge nicely and the neighbour the other side has her aga on so that helps. We are part way through glazing the front of the house. We have done upstairs, just got downstairs to do.

Thanks for the website tip, I will have a look later.

our *monthly* DD has just rocketed to £63 electric and £96 gas…we are with ecotricity but am wondering how much of a premium we are paying for green energy…

Hi what are you burning the wood on?wood burner, open fire?we have a wood burner and get all our wood free from a local builder, renovator, ie old pallets, floor boards, off cuts, as long as we can take it away, it keeps coming and they re glad to be rid it as they have to pay for disposal.also hubby works on an industrial estate, some firms leave any unwanted pallets at there gate, as again they have to pay for disposal of certain sizes or broken ones x

LETS no42

Id say that’s cheap too. We pay £75 pet month gas and £30 per month electricity

Currently we are paying 80 per month for both gas and electric but our DD goes up and down in the year depending on what we use, we record are monthly usage online every month. I expect our DD to go up over the winter. We have regular gas central heating, a gas fire in the living room and a rather old fashioned water tank / boiler. I am hoping to update to something more efficient/greener in the future though.

Make sure that your door seals are good and reseal any window gaps. Another thing you can do is put that plastic sheeting on your windows it is meant to really help with heat loss. If you don’t mind having your visibility reduced in some windows you can just use bubble wrap if you don’t care what it looks like. There are videos on you tube on how to do it. I always encourage the kids to put a jumper / slippers on if they say they are cold before turning the heating up. Also keep blankets for cuddling on the sofa when the heat goes down in the evening. I am also trying to train them at the moment to remember to turn lights off!  I also try to turn as many appliances off at the mains as possible and it does seem to have made a difference to our usage. Before I used to leave the microwave etc turned on.

We are in West Midlands and have to admit we have been lucky this year with the weather, it is wet not but still fairly warm and I still haven’t put the heating on yet smile

We pay less a quarter/month for gas than you do and about the same for electric.  We have a wood burning stove which heats our house (latent heat it is not piped to the radiators) and our water.  We also have solar water panels to heat the water in the summer this combination reduces our gas bill to very little over the year.  We scavenge for wood all year round and haven’t bought any for years, we have a fair amount of space to store it too so that it can season well before burning it.  It is hard to do the sums to compare wood with whatever you are heating the house with.  You would need to look back over bills in previous years and compare them at the end of the quarter to see if there is a reduction, comparing retrospectively not at the time. 

We have spend many years reducing our energy costs, like you we live in a terraced house which helps a lot.  We have insulated under the floor in the rooms we can do that in downstairs, we have a large void under our floor big enough to stand up in in places.  We have cavity wall insulation front and back, which is not possible on all houses it depends on the construction.  Our upstairs rooms have ceilings that go into the eaves slightly, a part of the loft that it is not possible to insulate very well, we have put insulation on the inside of the room and re plastered etc.  Loft insulation if you have a loft is crucial, the energy saving trust gives advice on thickness.  If you don’t have a loft just eaves then perhaps consider insulating from inside.  Our fridge is in our dining room close to our wood burning stove we have insulated around it to keep it cold and stop it working so hard!  We turn all appliances off (except the fridge and freezer of course!) at night/when not in use we don’t leave anything on standby it’s amazing how much energy they use to remain on standby, it does mean that you cannot use some of the settings but we feel it is small price to pay…..

Sustainable mum - can I ask how you insulated under the floor? We too have a deep void under our ground floor, it’s been a while since we had the boards up but I’m sure it’s about 4’ down to just bare earth.

We live in a Victorian house which looks like a semi but is technically detached - the house next door was built 50 years later but instead of building it on the other side of the plot they built it about 6” away from ours, so we don’t share a party wall and there is 6” gap between us. We didn’t know this when we bought because our neighbour rendered over the gap. Our house is just a single brick deep, so no chance of cavity insulation, and it is so cold all year round, if you touch an external wall indoors it is freezing in cold weather!

X

Can you order/store larger quantities of logs? At end of August we had small skip load delivered of fully seasoned 9 inch logs for £150. We think there is about 1000 litres of wood there approx. Our woodburner has been on nightly since beginning of September and we still have a lot of logs left, at least another two months of evening burning I think. He told us the skip was the best value. XX

http://www.WishCharms.etsy.com
Sterling Silver Charms hand knotted onto hemp or waxed cotton card and set against beautiful keepsake cards with inspiring quotes and words.

http://www.notonthehightstreet.com/wishcharms

Notes on a Waldorf inspired family life:
http://mamauk.typepad.com

stargazy - 24 October 2014 11:56 AM

Sustainable mum - can I ask how you insulated under the floor? We too have a deep void under our ground floor, it’s been a while since we had the boards up but I’m sure it’s about 4’ down to just bare earth.

We live in a Victorian house which looks like a semi but is technically detached - the house next door was built 50 years later but instead of building it on the other side of the plot they built it about 6” away from ours, so we don’t share a party wall and there is 6” gap between us. We didn’t know this when we bought because our neighbour rendered over the gap. Our house is just a single brick deep, so no chance of cavity insulation, and it is so cold all year round, if you touch an external wall indoors it is freezing in cold weather!

X

Sorry not responded sooner been away wink  My husband did it not me, he basically strung netting under the floorboards and then filled the netting with insulation.

Share this with friends

Recent Posts