Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

I’m currently breastfeeding my 2-year-old on demand (which works out to about 4-5 times a day, including during the night), and have no intention of stopping. I’ve been invited to an event a few hours away to support a cause I deeply care about and have been involved with for many years. It wouldn’t be practical for me to bring the family along as it would be a lot of travelling (we’d basically arrive, they’d have dinner and go to bed, and then we’d leave the next morning!) and the event isn’t at all child friendly; also, DD1 has regular music/dance activities she needs/wants to attend the following morning (that’s why we can’t just go and stay longer).

So here’s my question: if I take an evening, a night, and a morning away from my 2-year-old, will it cause a dip in milk supply? For how long? DH would be able to get her to sleep on his own that night (he’s done it once before, when I was late returning from an evening out), but I don’t want it to have long-term effects on my supply or on our breastfeeding relationship. Does anyone have an answer for me?

I would imagine, supply wise, it will be fine. You can express off a little if you feel full but i never feel full these days! (A is the same age as your littlest)

also, if she is showing no signs of weaning, i cant see as this causing anything like that to happen. And if your dh has successfully managed to gets her off to sleep in the past then there is no issue of potential distress.

relax and go for it, i would say to you. This isn’t something i would be able to do just yet as A feeds mostly at night and is my eldest that gets most distressed if i am not there! But i have slowly started having a few hours here or there without A and it hasn’t caused problems.

enjoy x

I doubt it would have any effect on supply- I childmind a nearly 2-year old who is BF on demand when with her mum night and day. But she is with me 4 days a week about 10 hours a day and had been for last 10 months. You may just need to express if feeling full.
Enjoy your night away!

ditto that…by 2 years in 24hrs will be neither here nor there regarding supply (or the demand when you get back wink

Thank you, ladies—it’s what I was hoping to hear, but now I have to decide if I can really go, because I’m realising it will be tricky for DH to get both girls out of bed and fed and off to DD1’s music and ballet classes on time on Saturday, single-handedly—it’s hard enough when both of us are here to handle it!

preets - 07 November 2014 04:16 PM

Thank you, ladies—it’s what I was hoping to hear, but now I have to decide if I can really go, because I’m realising it will be tricky for DH to get both girls out of bed and fed and off to DD1’s music and ballet classes on time on Saturday, single-handedly—it’s hard enough when both of us are here to handle it!

It sounds like you are talking yourself out of it!
Maybe they will cope fine, maybe they will be running late, maybe they’ll forget something but that’s not the end of the world. It might feel like a bit of an adventure for them doing things by themselves and they may do it differently to when with you… but that is fine, it is only a day.
Go for it, we don’t often get a ‘mummy’s day off’ so enjoy it xx

All right, ladies, you and DH have convinced me to go for it grin . DH is really pushing for it because he believes very strongly that both parents should be able to handle things single-handedly if necessary—of course the breastfeeding means we can’t be 100% interchangeable, but he says DD2 is 2 and it’s a good time for me to try to get tiny bits of my independence back. In my 5+ years of being a mother, I’ve only spent 3 nights away from my DD1 before DD2 was born, so I’m nervous and already feeling a bit guilty, but I think it will be good for us all.

preets - 07 November 2014 11:17 PM

All right, ladies, you and DH have convinced me to go for it grin . DH is really pushing for it because he believes very strongly that both parents should be able to handle things single-handedly if necessary—of course the breastfeeding means we can’t be 100% interchangeable, but he says DD2 is 2 and it’s a good time for me to try to get tiny bits of my independence back. In my 5+ years of being a mother, I’ve only spent 3 nights away from my DD1 before DD2 was born, so I’m nervous and already feeling a bit guilty, but I think it will be good for us all.

Relax and enjoy, and let us know how it goes!

I agree with your DH smile

enjoy x

Share this with friends

Recent Posts