Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

I know food threads come up a lot but at the moment with 2 businesses and home edding, a crazy household and huge amount of animals to deal with I could really do with some inspiration for quick healthy meals, DS#2 is vegetarian and we don’t eat a lot of meat to be honest but he isn’t keen on pulses. Any suggestions ................................? x

Home Eding Mama of 2 gorgeous boys! Trying to live magically on this wild and crazy earth.

Not sure if you’ve got a bread machine but I often chuck all the ingredients in first in the morning and leave it there all day. Then I roll it out and top it with passatta, cheeses and whatever else we have in at dinner time. I also bulk make pasta sauces or soups which can be reheated later. Jacket potatoes with various toppings. Cauliflower and carrot cheese. Macaroni cheese.

Baked sweet potatoes with goat cheese and honey is nice

veggie curry? Once you have made a good base, you can add any veg to it.

root veg crumble..roast a load of root veggies (i usually use parsnip, celeriac, carrot and squash) and then put them in a tin with a cheesy, oaty crumble topping…really nice.

roasted ratatouille with pasta / rice

sweet potato and chick pea stew im making a lot lately too

Do you have a slow cooker? There are loads of recipes on Pinterest (and the rest of the web I imagine) that you can just chuck in in the morning and have ready for your evening meal. Quinoa is really quick and versatile too.

Thanks girls this is great, I feel inspired again ! x

Home Eding Mama of 2 gorgeous boys! Trying to live magically on this wild and crazy earth.

Roasted veggies! Turn your oven up high (200 minimum), slice your veggies if necessary, add oil and salt and whatever other spices/herbs you desire, put in a roasting pan and roast till you see crunchy brown bits. This works with every veg from broccoli & cauliflower to carrots, beetroot, green beans, pumpkin, and of course all your summer veg (aubergines, courgettes, peppers) though that’s probably not what you’re eating this time of year grin .

It’s true it’s not very filling as a main if you’re hungry, but you can dump it over pasta and grate cheese on top if you like, or serve with potatoes, etc. etc. We also like to put roasted veg in sandwiches with some goats cheese.

If you want to get pulses in him, a tin of chick peas completely disappears when added to homemade carrot and coriander soup- whizz up with blender. My son has no idea I put them in and he loves this soup!

(recipe: carrots, onions, celery if I have it, veg stock, ground coriander, seasoning and parsley- cook all together and add chick peas and blitz in blender)

Preets that’s fab thank you.

Moggy I would never have thought of doing that !! Thanks.

Off to the kitchen I go .......................... xx

Share this with friends

Recent Posts