Issue 92 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Hello All

I hardly post here now-so busy with my 3 small ones!

Anyone have any recommendations for non toxic AND unperfumed cleaning materials? I would love to make my own but in reality I am looking to buy a few products, anyone know of any good companies?

Many thanks!

Mum to two boys, Roan (Nov 08) and Jude (Oct 11) and a little girl, Amalie (Jan 14). Trying to parent as gently and lovingly as I can.

I use bio d. Have never had any issues smile

Thanks Gem, I was looking at those. Sadly they seem to be perfumed (except laundry range) but hopefully the reduction in chemicals will be enough to reduce nasty migraines!

Mum to two boys, Roan (Nov 08) and Jude (Oct 11) and a little girl, Amalie (Jan 14). Trying to parent as gently and lovingly as I can.

Are they?? I will have to check that as i thought they were not!

i have migraines induced by synthetic smells too.

they are also completely tolerable on my kids who suffer a lot with eczema and i with psoriasis

Thanks Gem, and interesting you have the same. I always thought it was just the nasty chemicals but with age my head is getting worse and I see it is perfumes too. I’m all sorted for laundry (I use Eco balls) and will get the washing up liquid but it’s things like floor cleaner, multi surface cleaner etc. Easy to get low toxic products but perfumes seem to be in them. All in all it seems to be a can of worms opening as perfume is EVERYWHERE in products, got to sort personal care next, and that’s before my husband’s hideous deodorant!!

This is what i use for all surfaces, including floors. It really has hardly any scent at all, in my opinion

http://www.biggreensmile.com/products/bio-d-multi-surface-sanitiser-5l/bdmult5.aspx?productid=bdmult5

Gem that’s been brilliant, thank you. I will do a big order in next few days….

I use bicarb for all these things!

Why not use just water with microfiber cloths? It works for all but the most stubborn dirt. And if you WANT fragrance you could use essential oils; ones that are good for migraines like lavender, peppermint and rosemary.

I help your customers find you on Google. Website design | SEO | Social Media | PR | Author

“Internet marketing solutions that transform your online business”: http://gloucestershirewebdesigns.co.uk/

Connect with me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Raestrauss

Find me on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rachellestrauss

LETS member 35

I use white vinegar and lemon juice for everything. Just mix it up in a bottle and spray liberally. Also add some essential oil sometimes.

You’re welcome.

we don’t use just water as my husband has anxiety around cleaning so using something is needed.

i also tried the vinegar and lemon route but i just don’t like the smell of vinegar, and no matter how much lemon i used, even when i added essential oils, i could still smell the vinegar!

i like bio d because it really hardly has any scent by my nose wink

As for personal care, i use rhassoul clay and coconut oil for everything including hair and children’s bodies wink they have very little scent (the clay smells a bit clayish and the the coconut oil has a subtle coconut smell but nothing very strong at all) and it means we don’t have heaps of bottles in the bathroom. Plus rhassoul clay is perfect for our dry skin issues, but apparently is really good for all skin types and a bag of it lasts forever.

i cant use essential oils in bath water or even in carrier oils as they really irritate my skin, so i burn them instead.

deodrant.. I don’t wear deodrant, i don’t ever really need it and i just wash if i do!

my husband uses a semi natural brand which i don’t really like the smell of but its his armpits so who am i to dictate wink

anyway, waffling.

Share this with friends

Recent Posts