Issue 90 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

Hi, I really would like to cook some more veggie bakes but can’t find any decent recipes. I really like bakes at this time of year as they seem to save on washing up and I can prepare them in advance, does anyone have any favourites? Links to how to make them would be great (or write them here if you fancy). thnx

My top 5 veggie bakes are-
1-red lentil and buckwheat (from cranks recipe book)
2-squash and feta bake (from moosewood cookbook)
3-mushroom bake (my DHs mothers recipe)
4-broccoli filo pie (cordon rouge cookbook)
5-caramelised onion and lentil wellington ( cant remember where this came from)

The last two are more pies I suppose than bakes but they are totally delicious and easy to make up in advance.
If you are interested in any of these recipes Im really happy to pop them on here later this afternoon.x

Mummy to 4

I’d love to see the mushroom bake please x

Home Eding Mama of 2 gorgeous boys! Trying to live magically on this wild and crazy earth.

Thanks Mummybee, that red lentil and buckwheat bake looks just what I’m after, I love Cranks food and always try their bakes when we visit the restaurant in Dartington. I do have one Cranks book by Nadine Abensur but doesn’t have much winter hearty stuff in it so would love that recipe thanks.
Jez

Some of the bakes I make are:

Leek, squash and feta (made up recipe)
Lentil and Mushroom (from a very old Sainsburys cookbook)
Bean and Bulgur Wheat
Root Veg and Blue Cheese

Sorry,has taken me ages to come back on and post recipes.It has been a busy few days!!!
So here is the Lentil and Buckwheat bake (it is from the old 1970s cranks cookbook,I also love Dartington Cranks,its just up the road from us but we dont go often enough these days,used to pop in for lunch on a regular basis)

Lentil and Buckwheat bake

100g buckwheat
1 medium onion
1 medium carrot
2tbsp olive oil
175g red lentils
900ml stock
2tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1tsp yeast extract
nutmeg to taste
salt and pepper

Toast buckwheat until golden,and set aside.Chop onions and carrots.Heat oil in a saucepan and saute onion and carrot until onion is transparent .Add the buckwheat and lentils and all remaining ingredients.Bring to the boil,reduce heat and simmer for about half an hr,until liquid has been absorbed.Press mixture into a 10” greased oven dish and bake at gas mark 6 (200c) for half an hour.

And the Mushroom Bake

2 onions,chopped
1tbsp olive oil
200g mushrooms,chopped
60g bread crumbs
100g cheddar,grated
2 eggs
pinch of dried herbs (oregano or thyme)
salt and pepper

Fry the onion in the oil until soft,add chopped mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are soft.Mix in all other ingredients and pour into a greased baking tray and bake for about 25 minutes.

ENJOY

tongue rolleye

Mummy to 4

This grilled mushroom burger is better than a regular beef burger. Honestly! You get the same feel of having a patty and all the tasty toppings in between a bun, but you won’t feel lethargic after downing a bunch of beef. The portobellos get a nice, smoky flavor from the grill, plus the garlic, onions and goat cheese pair perfectly with it. Diced tomatoes and fresh greens add some crisp, and all the toppings are situated within the mushroom cap. Now that’s what I call a burger!

4 large Portobello mushrooms
  (4–5 inches in diameter, 1 per person)
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 red onion, sliced in ½-inch thick round slices
⅓ cup goat cheese
¾ cup plum (Roma) tomatoes, diced
1 cup fresh arugula or spring mix
4 hamburger buns
Olive oil
Read full my recipe at: https://meal5.com/simple-healthy-recipes/how-make-grilled-portobello-burger

Share this with friends

Recent Posts