Issue 91 is out now

Welcome to The Green Parent Forum

A place where you can chat to like-minded parents, form new friendships, share ideas, events and recipes. Use the search tool to find a wealth of information from the past 10 years of forum discussions. Register today and become part of our supportive community.

DD is going camping with the school and needs to provide herself with three packed lunches but won’t have access to a fridge.

So, as in the title of the thread - I’m looking for filling ideas that don’t need refrigeration. She gets cold very easily, so eating junk food with empty calories won’t serve her at all.

She hates peanuts, so peanut butter is out and I’m right out of inspiration.

I’m going to buy her some jerky to see if she likes that. She doesn’t like much dried fruit, but I might be able to convince her. Any other suggestions?

I help your customers find you on Google. Website design | SEO | Social Media | PR | Author

“Internet marketing solutions that transform your online business”: http://gloucestershirewebdesigns.co.uk/

Connect with me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Raestrauss

Find me on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rachellestrauss

LETS member 35

A friend gave her daughter a box of individual packs of nutella when she was doing the DOF. Not too sure whether that is what you are looking for really. I will have a think.

Off the top of my head….

Does she like lentils?  You could make some lentil pasties they should last a day or two.  I make a spicy lentil dhal type mixture and then use shop bought puff pastry which I roll out and cut into pieces to make each pastie. 

A cousous or quinoa salad filled with all her favourite foods, chickpeas are good with both.

I will look back at some of my expedition menus and see what else I have made in the past!

My daughter has problems every time she does Ten Tors or Dof E so I feel for you!!

For the last expedition we cooked up some veggie sausages which she kept in foil and then put inside a bread roll when ready to eat, and we made a batch of oaty sultana and sunflower seed flapjacks which she kept in a tupperware box, and ate when she needed the energy. She also took little tubs of seeds and dried fruits - perhaps you could try fruit leathers?  I’ve always wanted to try making those but have never got round to it.

Trying to do everything - failing madly!

Being constantly & lovingly educated by daughter Freya, 19 cheese

Does she like any other nuts? Cashew nut butter?

Mum to two boys, Roan (Nov 08) and Jude (Oct 11) and a little girl, Amalie (Jan 14). Trying to parent as gently and lovingly as I can.

Hello
No food suggestions, but when I go to festivals I make all the snacks, pasties do work well, sandwiches, even yogurts etc, and then freeze all of it I separate bags/ boxes. Take them out of the freezer just before she leaves and pack them all together in her bag, they’ll gradually defrost but keep each other cold over 3 days. When camping I even freeze pints of milk and they are still cold on day 3 unless it is really hot.
Gill
x

Gill that is a brilliant idea ! X

Home Eding Mama of 2 gorgeous boys! Trying to live magically on this wild and crazy earth.

emilys mum - 01 June 2015 11:20 PM

Hello
No food suggestions, but when I go to festivals I make all the snacks, pasties do work well, sandwiches, even yogurts etc, and then freeze all of it I separate bags/ boxes. Take them out of the freezer just before she leaves and pack them all together in her bag, they’ll gradually defrost but keep each other cold over 3 days. When camping I even freeze pints of milk and they are still cold on day 3 unless it is really hot.
Gill
x

We do that too!  wink

sustainablemum - 02 June 2015 12:29 AM
emilys mum - 01 June 2015 11:20 PM

Hello
Gill
x

We do that too!  wink

That is genius!!

And now mama to William too!

Loving emilys mums ideas! Going to be stealing them for our upcoming camping trip:)

To dare is to lose ones footing temporarily, to not dare is to lose oneself.

LETS number 137

https://wildheartseducation.wordpress.com/

PicnicInTheWoods - 04 June 2015 01:47 PM

Loving emilys mums ideas! Going to be stealing them for our upcoming camping trip:)

Happy to help!!! Makes our festival season much easier
Gill
x

Share this with friends

Recent Posts